- Founded in 1884, Bangor University has a long tradition of excellence and exceeds expectations, both for academic standards and student experience.
- The national Research Assessment Exercise shows that world leading research is being carried out at Bangor. Areas of particular excellence include Accounting & Finance which is rated as the best for research in the UK, and Electronic Engineering which is rated second in the UK. Sports Science is placed in the top 10 in the UK and Psychology is 11th in the UK.
- A recent review by the UK Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) resulted in the highest possible endorsement of the University’s academic standards. The ‘confidence’ judgement by the QAA confirms the University’s academic standing and profile.
- A Study Skills Centre, which opened its doors during the 2012/13 academic year, provides help with the transition to university and on-going support with academic progression. The support provided by the new Centre includes help with academic writing, reading and exam skills, mathematics and statistics, team-work, presentation skills, and project-planning.
- Other learning resources include a £1.5M MRI scanner, a multi-media language centre, a natural history museum and a £3.5-m research vessel, The Prince Madog.
- The construction of the Pontio Arts & Innovation Centre known as is currently underway, which is set to become a new social hub for students as well as an internationally significant centre for learning, innovation and the performing arts.
The £36million building – which will open in 2014 – will be a world-class centre for innovation in science, technology and the creative arts. In addition to being a new home for our Students' Union, it will include a theatre, studio theatre, cinema, lecture theatres, exhibition spaces, bar and café.
- We have close links with the NHS in Wales through the Besti Cadwaladr University Health Board. The University is a major provider of training and education for the NHS and is also one of the main partners in the North Wales Clinical School.
- The University performs well in a variety of student surveys rating satisfaction levels and overall experience. For instance, Bangor was ranked amongst the top 12 in the UK for providing small-group tuition (Times Higher Education), and achieved top 20 positions in the National Student Survey in subject areas ranging from Psychology and Education to Sports Science, Chemistry, and Nursing and Midwifery.
- The University in recent years has opened new halls of residence as part of a £35m upgrade. The quality of the accommodation on offer is reflected in the fact that Bangor was ranked within the top 10 in the UK for the quality of our accommodation in a recent national student experience survey (Times Higher Student Experience Survey).
The What Uni Student Choice Awards also placed our halls within the top 10 university accommodation in the UK.
- Bangor has been described as “one of the cheapest places in Britain” to be a student (The A-Z of Universities and Higher Education Colleges) and is consistently ranked as one of the most economical places to study in the UK in various cost-of-living surveys.
- As a major provider of teacher training in Wales, we have close links with schools, local education authorities and the teaching profession.
- We have one of the largest widening access programmes in the country called the Talent Opportunities Programme involving over 1500 pupils in schools across North Wales.
- We are involved in the Reaching Higher, Reaching Wider programme operating in the region.
- We have one of the largest Peer Guiding schemes in the country, which supports new students and ensures an easy transition to University life. The scheme has been shortlisted for the Times Higher Education Awards in the Outstanding Student Support Category.
- Our Careers and Employability Service is recognised nationally as being one of the most active careers services in the UK. The Bangor Employability Award was established in 2010 and offers free opportunities to gain the skills and experiences employers want and need based on up-to-date research.