Staff Profile of Dr Eirini Sanoudaki
- Dr Eirini Sanoudaki
- Lecturer in Language Acquisition
- 01248 388638
- Room 202, 37–41 College Road
I first joined Bangor University in 2008, as a post-doctoral researcher at the ESCR Centre for Research in Bilingualism and at the School of Psychology. After a second post-doctoral position at the University of Athens, I returned to Bangor to join the School of Linguistics and English Language in 2010. I received my PhD in Linguistics from UCL in 2007, with a thesis on the acquisition of syllable structure, with particular reference to consonant clusters. I have a degree in Greek Language and Literature from the University of Athens and an MA in Linguistics from the University of Reading.
My research interests are primarily in first language acquisition and bilingual acquisition. I am particularly interested in performing theory evaluation on the basis of empirical data acquired by behavioural tasks as well as ERPs (Event-Related Potentials), thus bridging the gap between research in theoretical linguistics and experimental psycholinguistics. In addition to my interest in phonological acquisition, I have a lasting interest in the acquisition of pronominal reference (including bilingual acquisition), and my current research examines the interpretation of pronominal elements in children and adults with Down Syndrome. I am also interested in facets of bilingualism, such as transfer, code-switching and language processing in bilinguals, and I am currently involved in research on syntactic aspects of Welsh-English bilingualism.
- Sanoudaki, E. & Thierry, G. (to appear) Language non-selective syntactic activation in early bilinguals: the role of verbal fluency. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism [accepted]
- Sanoudaki, E. & Varlokosta, S. (2014a) Pronoun comprehension in individuals with Down syndrome: the role of age. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders. [First view]
- Sanoudaki, E. & Varlokosta, S. (2014b) Task effects in the interpretation of pronouns. Language Acquisition: a Journal of Developmental Linguistics. [First view]
- Sanoudaki, E. & Varlokosta, S. (2014c) Pronoun comprehension in individuals with Down syndrome: deviance or delay? Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research 57, 1442–1452.
- Tamburelli, M., Sanoudaki, E., Jones, G., & Sowinska, M. (2014) Acceleration in the bilingual acquisition of phonological structure: evidence from Polish-English bilingual children. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition.
- Sanoudaki, E. & G. Thierry (2014). Juggling two grammars. In Enlli Môn Thomas and Ineke Mennen (eds.), Approaches to the Study of Bilingualism. Multilingual Matters.
- Sanoudaki, E. & Varlokosta, S. (2013) The acquisition of Binding by Greek-speaking children with Down Syndrome. In Stavroula Stavrakaki, Polyxeni Konstantinopoulou & Marina Lalioti (eds.), Advances in Language Acquisition. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing
- Sanoudaki, E. & Varlokosta, S. (2013) Binding in Greek: the importance of task selection [Anaforiki desmefsi sta Ellinka: I simasia tis epilogis dokimasias]. In Gavriilidou, Zoe, Efthymiou, Angeliki, Thomadaki, Evangelia, & Penelope Kambakis-Vougiouklis (eds.) Selected papers of the 10th ICGL [International Conference of Greek Linguistics], 1100–1109, Democritus University, Komotini.
- Thierry, G. & Sanoudaki, E. (2012) Activation syntaxique non-sélective à la langue chez le bilingue précoce, Revue Française de Linguistique Appliquée 17 (2), 33–48.
- (2010) Towards a typology of word initial consonant clusters: evidence from the acquisition of Greek, Journal of Greek Linguistics, 10, 1–41.
- (2009) Strength relations and first language acquisition. In Kuniya Nasukawa and Phillip Backley (eds.), Strength relations in phonology. 149–182. Berlin/New York: Mouton de Gruyter.
- (2008) Word initial heterosyllabicity in acquisition. In Anna Gavarró and Maria J. Freitas (eds.), Language Acquisition and Development. 381–385. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- (2004) Transfer during bilingual first language acquisition: the case of Greek and English pronominal systems, in Proceedings of the 6th international conference of Greek linguistics, University of Crete, ISBN: 960–88268–0-2.
- QXL4435 Current Issues in Bilingualism
- QXL3317/QXL4417 Language Acquisition
- QXL2204 Morphosyntax
- PPP4008 Bilingualism: Research and methods
- QXL4432 Research Methods in Linguistics
- QXL1112 Language and Culture