Room: 202b, 2nd Floor, New Arts
I first joined Bangor University in 2008, as a post-doctoral researcher at the ESCR Centre for Research in Bilingualism and at the School of Psychology. After a second post-doctoral position at the University of Athens, I returned to Bangor to join the School of Linguistics and English Language in 2010. I received my Ph.D. in Linguistics from UCL in 2007, with a thesis on the acquisition of syllable structure, with particular reference to consonant clusters. I have a degree in Greek Language and Literature from the University of Athens and an MA in Linguistics from the University of Reading.
My research interests are primarily in first language acquisition and bilingual acquisition. I am particularly interested in performing theory evaluation on the basis of empirical data acquired by behavioural tasks as well as ERPs (Event-Related Potentials), thus bridging the gap between research in theoretical linguistics and experimental psycholinguistics. In addition to my interest in phonological acquisition, I have a lasting interest in the acquisition of pronominal reference (including bilingual acquisition), and my current research examines the interpretation of pronominal elements in children and adults with Down Syndrome. I am also interested in facets of bilingualism, such as transfer, code-switching and language processing in bilinguals, and I am currently involved in research on syntactic aspects of Welsh-English bilingualism.
- (accepted) Thierry, G. & Sanoudaki, E. Activation syntaxique non-sélective à la langue chez le bilingue précoce. Revue Française de Linguistique Appliquée.
- (to appear) Sanoudaki, E. & Varlokosta, S. The acquisition of Binding by Greek-speaking children with Down Syndrome. To appear in Marina Lalioti, Stavroula Stavrakaki, and Xenia Konstantinopoulou (eds.), Language Acquisition and Development. Cambridge Scholars Press.
- (to appear) Sanoudaki, E. & Varlokosta, S. Binding in Greek: the importance of task selection [Anaforiki desmefsi sta Ellinka: I simasia tis epilogis dokimasias]. To appear in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference of Greek Linguistics.
- (forthcoming) Sanoudaki, E. & G. Thierry. Bigrammatism: when the bilingual mind juggles with two grammars. To appear in Enlli Môn Thomas and Ineke Mennen (eds.), Unravelling Bilingualism: A cross-disciplinary perspective. Multilingual Matters.
- (2010) Towards a typology of word initial consonant clusters: evidence from the acquisition of Greek, Journal of Greek Linguistics, 10, 1-41.
- (2009) Strength relations and first language acquisition. In Kuniya Nasukawa and Phillip Backley (eds.), Strength relations in phonology. 149-182. Berlin/New York: Mouton de Gruyter.
- (2008) Word initial clusters in acquisition. In Theodoros Marinis, Angeliki Papangeli, and Vesna Stojanovik (eds.), Proceedings of the Child Language Seminar 2007 (30th Anniversary). 125-135.
- (2008) Word initial heterosyllabicity in acquisition. In Anna Gavarró and Maria J. Freitas (eds.), Language Acquisition and Development. 381-385. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- (2006) Linking history to first language acquisition: the case of Greek consonant clusters, in UCL Working Papers in Linguistics 18: 383-408.
- (2004) Transfer during bilingual first language acquisition: the case of Greek and English pronominal systems, in Proceedings of the 6th international conference of Greek linguistics, University of Crete, ISBN: 960-88268-0-2.
Selected conference presentations:
- (2012) with M. Tamburelli, G. Jones, & M. Sowinska. Consonant cluster puzzles: evidence from Polish-English bilingual acquisition. Oral presentation at the 20th Manchester Phonology Meeting, 24th - 26th May 2012.
- (2012) Bilingual consonant cluster acquisition. Oral presentation at the Consonant Cluster Fest, 16th April 2012, SOAS.
- (2012) with M. Tamburelli, G. Jones, & M. Sowinska. Acceleration in the bilingual acquisition of consonant clusters: evidence from Polish-English bilingual children. Oral presentation at the International conference: 'Bilingual and Multilingual Interaction', Bangor University 30 March – 1 April 2012.
- (2011) with S. Varlokosta. The acquisition of Binding by Greek-speaking children with Down Syndrome. Poster presented at the GALA 2011 conference, 6-8 September 2011, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- (2011) with S. Varlokosta. Binding in Greek: the importance of task selection. Oral presentation at the 10th International Conference of Greek Linguistics, 1-4 September 2011, Democritous University of Thrace, Komotini, Greece.
- (2011) with S. Varlokosta .The interpretation of pronouns, clitics and reflexives in Greek-speaking adults with Down Syndrome. Oral presentation at the International Symposium on Theoretical and Applied Linguistics (ISTAL 20).1-3 April 2011, Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- (2008) The acquisition of consonant clusters by Greek-speaking children. Oral presentation at the Workshop: Consonant Clusters and Structural Complexity, 31 July-2 August 2008, Institute of Phonetics and Speech Processing, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat, Munich.
- (2008) Word initial extrasyllabicity? Evidence from the acquisition of Greek. Oral presentation at the 16th Manchester Phonology Meeting, 22-24 May 2008, University of Manchester.
- (2007) Word initial heterosyllabicity in acquisition. Poster presentationat the GALA conference, 6-8 September 2007, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain.
- (2007) Word initial clusters in acquisition. Oral presentation at the Child Language Seminar, 18-20 July 2007, The University of Reading, UK.