First International Conference on Minimalist Music
Saturday, 1 September 2007
Call for Papers
In September 2007, the School of Music at Bangor University will host its first international conference on minimalism in music. While proposals are warmly invited on any relevant topics, the conveners are eager to address the following key issues:
- Terminology and the meaning of ‘minimalism’
- Minimalism and modernism / postmodernism
- Minimalism and multimedia (film, opera, dance, video)
- The geography of minimalism: differences in European and American trends
- Aspects of performance or improvisation in minimalist music
- Analysing minimalist music
- Audience reception and psychoanalysis
- Technology and minimalism
- Minimalism and the other arts
Contributions are welcomed in the form of individual papers (20 minutes), themed sessions containing two or three complementary papers (20 minutes each), recitals / lecture-recitals or any other suitable method of presentation.
Abstracts containing a maximum of 250 words should ideally be sent as email attachments, together with affiliation and contact details, to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Proposals for themed sessions should include a 250-word overview in addition to the individual abstracts. Alternatively, proposals may be sent by post to Dr Pwyll ap Siôn or Mr Tristian Evans, School of Music, University of Wales, Bangor, Gwynedd. LL57 2DG.
Deadline for submission of proposals: Saturday 31 March 2007