Staff Profile of Prof Neil Walsh
- Prof Neil Walsh
- Professor, Director Extremes Research Group
- (01248) 38 3480
- George Building, Normal Site
View Neil Walsh's video biography here.
- Influence of exercise training, diet and environmental stress on immunity
- Non-invasive biomarkers of immunity and hydration
- Novel strategies for heat acclimation
Member of the Extremes Research Group
Click on the journal title for downloadable summary or full text.
- Hanstock HG, Walsh NP, Edwards JP, Fortes MB, Cosby SL, Nugent A, Curran T, Coyle PV, Ward MD, Aw Yong XH. (2015). Tear fluid SIgA as a non-invasive biomarker of mucosal immunity and common cold risk. Medicine & Science in Sport & Exercise. doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000000801
- Diment BC, Fortes MB, Edwards JP, Hanstock HG, Ward MD, Dunstall HM, Friedmann PS, Walsh NP. (2015). Exercise intensity and duration effects on in vivo immunity. Medicine & Science in Sport & Exercise. 47, 1390-8.
- Walsh NP, Gleeson M, Shephard, RJ, Gleeson M, Woods, JA, Bishop NC, Fleshner F, Green C, Pedersen BK, Hoffman-Goetz L, Rogers CJ, Northoff H, Abbasi A and Simon P (2011). Position Statement Part One: Immune Function and Exercise. Exercise Immunology Review, 17, 6-63.
Walsh NP, Gleeson M, Pyne DB, Nieman DC, Dhabhar FS, Shephard, RJ, Oliver SJ, Bermon S and Kajeniene A (2011). Position Statement Part Two: Maintaining Immune Health. Exercise Immunology Review, 17, 64-103.
Harper Smith A, Coakley S, Ward M, Friedmann P, Macfarlane, A and Walsh NP (2011). Exercise-induced stress inhibits both the induction and elicitation phases of T-cell-mediated immune responses in humans. Brain Behavior and Immunity, 25, 1136-42.
Fortes MB, Diment BC, Di Felice U, Gunn AE, Kendall JL, Esmaeelpour M and Walsh NP (2011). Tear fluid osmolarity as a potential marker of hydration status. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 43, 1590-7.
Neil’s publications can be found here.
Click on the book title for details.
Gleeson M, Bishop NC and Walsh NP (2013). Exercise Immunology
. Routledge: Abingdon, UK.
- Editorial board, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise; Exercise Immunology Review
- Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine (FACSM)
- Full member of BASES and The Physiology Society
- Full member of International Sport and Exercise Immunology Society
Sport Nutrition; Environmental Physiology