The role of the Council
The principal role of the Council is to set the general strategy, policy and direction of the University. There is a clear boundary between ‘governance’ and ‘management’ and members of Council will not be involved in day-to-day executive management of the University which is undertaken by the Executive. The Council’s role is set out in an agreed Statement of Primary Responsibilites. Information on Council sub-committees and on the conduct of Council business is available in the Guide for Members of the Council.
The Council has a small number of sub-committees to assist members to discharge their functions as governors.
- Audit & Risk Committee
- Welsh Language Strategy Committee
- Health and Safety Committee
- Nominations & Governance Committee
- Remuneration Committee
- Finance & Strategy Committee
Further information about governance is contained in the Council Guide for members. Individuals who are interested in being considered for membership of the Council or its sub-committees should contact the Deputy Secretary, Mrs Gwenan Hine, Head of Governance Services. Council membership carries no remuneration, but the University pays reasonable travel and related expenses.
The Court is the stakeholder group for Bangor University, and provides a forum in which members of the community can interact with the University. The Pro-Chancellor Professor Gareth Roberts presides over the meeting, which includes representatives from local authorities, members of parliament and members of the Senedd, the local health board, university alumni representatives, as well as other key stakeholders. The Court meets at least once a year.
For further information on the Court please contact Mrs Gwenan Hine, Head of Governance Services.
The Executive is the University’s senior management group, and is responsible for the overall management and administration of the University.
The Vice-Chancellor, Professor Iwan Davies, chairs the University Executive, which comprises:
- Professor Oliver Turnbull - Deputy Vice-Chancellor
- Dr Kevin Mundy - Chief Operating Officer and University Secretary
- Professor Nichola Callow - Pro Vice-Chancellor and Head of College of Human Sciences
- Professor Andrew Edwards - Pro Vice-Chancellor and Head of College of Arts, Humanities and Business
- Professor Paul Spencer - Pro Vice-Chancellor and Head of College of Environmental Sciences and Engineering
- Mr Robert Eastwood - Interim Director of Finance
- Mrs Tracy Hibbert - Director of Human Resources
- Ms Lorraine Westwood - Chief Marketing Officer/Vice-President International
Deputy Secretary to the Executive: Mrs Gwenan Hine - Head of Governance Services.