Director of Research
Dr Jean Ware
The School of Education aims to conduct internationally excellent research based around strategic areas of expertise. We collaborate closely with government and third sector organisations to deliver research with real impact.
Research in Education is based around four main research groups:
- Bilingualism, Language Development and Bilingual Education (Leader Professor Enlli Thomas)
- Inclusion/ Special Educational Needs (Leader Dr Jean Ware)
- Bilingual Education and Special Educational Needs. (Co-Leaders Dr Jean Ware & Professor Enlli Thomas)
- Teacher Education and Professional Development
Members of the education research groups work closely with research funders, the Welsh Assembly Government, Local Councils, schools and parents groups to ensure that their research has a real impact on policy and practice.
Current and Recent Projects
- School of Education Research showcase
- The Best Model of Pedagogy for Initial Teacher Education and Training in the Primary Education sector 2014.
- The Foundations of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism 5th Edition (Baker 2011) with previous editions in 1994, 1996, 2001 and 2006. The first edition of this book was the 1994 Standing Conference in Education Book Prize-winner (best book of 1993 by an established author). The previous editions of this book have sold over 80,000 copies with translations into Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Latvian, Georgian, Greek, Vietnamese and Mandarin Chinese.
- Development of the Prawf Geirfa Cymraeg: Fersiwn 7–11, (Vocabulary Test 7–11) Gathercole and Thomas (2008), The Prawf Geirfa Cymraeg is the first receptive vocabulary test designed specifically for Welsh-speaking bilingual children.
- Access to the curriculum for young children with special needs in mainstream classrooms (Ware, Butler, Robertson, O’Donnell and Gould, 2010) This project, funded by the Irish National Council for Special Education, gives a first insight into the extent to which young children in Ireland with a variety of SEN are being enabled to access the curriculum.
The School of Education has strong links with the Centre for Research on Bilingualism .
We also hold regular research seminars, where both staff and students present their work, and a newly inaugurated series of talks by guest lecturers.
Research by Topic / Staff
Bilingualism Language Development and Bilingual Education
- Jacob Finifrock
- Lowri Mair Jones
- Carla Marie Owen
- Sion Aled Owen
- Nia Parry
Inclusion/ Special Educational Needs
- Abeer Mansour Alabdan
- Laura Jones
- Edwin Kelly
- Lindsay Marie Roberts
Bilingual Education and Special Educational Needs
- Laura Jones
Teacher Education and Professional Development
- Ellie Morsman
- Susie Peart