Run by Bangor Business School
15 Credits or 7.5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Prof Aziz Jaafar
Overall aims and purpose
To analyse the techniques that are used to evaluate a company's financial position and performance, and develop a critical awareness of the uses of financial data by capital markets for valuation purposes.
Balance sheet and income statement analysis; Financial ratio analysis and inter-firm comparison; Trend analysis and financial forecasting; Analysis of profitability and growth; The quality of financial statements, and using financial statements in valuation; Cash accounting, accrual accounting and discounted cash flow valuation; Pricing book values and earnings; Assessment of credit and equity risk.
thresholdDisplays a basic understanding of the main issues in financial anlysis and investment analysis
goodDisplays a sound understanding of interfirm comparison, trend analysis and valuation models, and an ability to write analytically on specific issues.
excellentDemonstrates a critical approach towards the appreciation of interfirm comparison and trend analysis, and demonstrates the ability to evaluate the implications of valuation models, illustrating arguments through the use of relevant supporting evidence drawn from the established literature.
- Apply appropriate methodologies in order to produce inter-firm comparisons of performance, and comparisons between the performance of the same firm over time.
- Appreciate the uses of financial information by capital markets.
- Demonstrate competence for the purposes of equity valuation.
- Apply basic and advanced techniques for the purposes of financial forecasting and the assessment of equity and credit risk.
|FINAL EXAM MARK||75|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
|3 hours of lectures per week and one 2-hour practical session in a computer lab a few weeks into the course.|
|Workshops included during some lectures.|
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- N3CP: MA Finance (10 month) year 1 (MA/FIN10)
- N4AK: MSc Accounting and Banking year 1 (MSC/ACB)
- N4AJ: MSc Accounting year 1 (MSC/ACC)
- N4AG: MSc Accounting and Finance year 1 (MSC/ACCFIN)
- N3CC: MSc Investment Management year 1 (MSC/IMGT)
- N3CR: MSc Investment Management (10 month) year 1 (MSC/IMGT10)
Optional in courses:
- N3CH: MA Banking & Finance (Chartered Banker) year 1 (MA/BFCB)
- N3AB: MA Banking & Finance year 1 (MA/BIF)
- N3AV: MA Finance year 1 (MA/FIN)
- N2AQ: MA Management and Finance year 1 (MA/MANFIN)
- N3CN: MBA Finance (10 month) year 1 (MBA/FIN10)
- N3CK: MSc Banking & Finance (Chartered Banker) year 1 (MSC/BFCB)
- N3CM: MSc Finance (10 month) year 1 (MSC/FIN10)
- N3AJ: MSc Finance year 1 (MSC/FINANCE)
- N2AO: MSc Management and Finance year 1 (MSC/MANFIN)