Tutorials in Marketing
Run by Bangor Business School
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Sara Parry
Overall aims and purpose
The purpose of this module is to introduce students to a range of skills that are necessary for their development into confident and self-sufficient learners. The module will also encourage wider reading and research in the area of Marketing.
The module will be based around fortnightly tutorials where students are introduced to generic academic skills and apply them in the context of Marketing. The generic skills will include the sourcing of information (including library, databases and search engines); the use and interpretation of evidence (including quotation, citation and plagiarism); essay preparation and writing (including the development of academic argument); oral presentation; and group work.
C- to C+
C- to C+ (50-59%): Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
B- to B+ (60-69%): Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
D- to D+ (40-49%): No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
A- to A* (70%): + An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Summarise, precis and abstract longer academic papers or journal articles in the field of Marketing.
Write well-structured essays, with a logical line of argument, drawing upon appropriate evidence from robust sources.
Develop the ability to find materials relevant to particular issues and to appraise their provenance and limitations.
Communicate ideas clearly and confidently in oral form.
|INDIVIDUAL PRESENTATION||Individual Presentation or Vlog||
To present an individual presentation or vlog.
|LOGBOOK OR PORTFOLIO||Portfolio||
Comprising: Bibliography; summaries of several academic papers; essay plan; essay.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
2-hour tutorial per fortnight
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- People management: to include communications, team building, leadership and motivating others.
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Innovation, creativity and enterprise: the ability to act entrepreneurially to generate, develop and communicate ideas, manage and exploit intellectual property, gain support, and deliver successful outcomes.
- Numeracy: the use of quantitative skills to manipulate data, evaluate, estimate and model business problems, functions and phenomena.
- Ability to work with people from a range of cultures.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Building and maintaining relationships.
- Communication and listening including the ability to produce clear, structured business communications in a variety of media.
- Emotional intelligence and empathy.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
- Self reflection: self-analysis and an awareness/sensitivity to diversity in terms of people and cultures. This includes a continuing appetite for development.
Courses including this module
Optional in courses:
- N100: BA Business Studies year 1 (BA/BUSS)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 1 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 1 (BA/MKTFR)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTFR#)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 1 (BA/MKTGER)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTSP)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 1 (BA/MKTSP#)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 1 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 1 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 1 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BSC/MKT1)