Our history

The School of Chemistry at Bangor has a long and distinguished history of over 125 years. It was one of the founding schools of the University College of North Wales (now Bangor University) and has a proud tradition of excellent chemists both working in the school and being trained in the school.

Image of Penrhyn Arms Hotel, Bangor

Penrhyn Arms Hotel Bangor, the first home of the University College of North Wales (now Bangor University)

The history of the department to 1954 has been recorded in an article written for the Journal of the Royal Institute of Chemistry by W. Rogie Angus (reproduced with permission).

Image of Dr David Trail doing an experiment


Dr David Traill demostrates the effect of electrostatic forces on nylon threads

Image of the original chemistry lecture theatre at Bangor

The original chemistry lecture theatre, Bangor

Keep in touch!

If you are a past graduate or member of the bangor chemistry department and have something for the archives, do not hesitate to contact us. We are also interested in developing a database of interested alumni, who wish to contact their contemporaries.