Why study with us?
Studying within the School of Chemistry
- The School of Chemistry has been providing excellent Chemistry education for over 125 years.
- The School of Chemistry has received 'excellence' (the highest of four grades) in the recent Teaching Quality Assessment.
- Hands on training on all analytical equipment.
- Modern up-to-date research environment for all students.
- We are a friendly and close-knit school and take a great deal of care to ensure that every one of our students reaches their maximum potential.
- All students take an extended research project during their third year in a subject area of their choice giving them the chance to specialise.
- Research work at the school is of the highest quality and covers traditional areas of organic, inorganic and physical chemistry together with the newer areas of computational and environmental chemistry, materials and biological chemistry.
- Some of our degrees also offer placement opportunities where you can spend a period of time at an industrial company in the UK or Europe or carry out an in-house research project in the School.
- Active student Chemical Society ChemSoc run by students for students which also has close links with the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Why choose Bangor University?
Academic and research excellence
Established in 1884, Bangor University combines traditional academic excellence with cutting-edge research and equipment, and ranks in the top 40 in the UK for research quality*.
Bangor University’s research has a major impact around the world according to the latest assessment of research quality, the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014. The REF recognised that more than three-quarters of Bangor’s research is either world-leading or internationally excellent, ahead of the average for UK universities. Over half of Bangor’s academic Schools have been ranked in the UK top 20 for quality of research.
Bangor University is amongst the top 10 of the UK’s best non-specialist universities (National Student Survey 2017), the traditional institutions who offer a broad range of subjects.
Bangor University has won the award for best Clubs and Societies at the 2018 WhatUni Student Choice Awards.
The University was also placed third overall in the University of the Year category, as well as being in third place in the 'Courses and Lecturers' and 'Giving Back' categories. The 'Giving Back' award was based on students views on how much their university gives back to the community, both globally and locally (WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2017).
Range of Expertise
The University is made up of five Colleges housing twenty-two academic Schools, as well as over fifty specialist research centres, enabling the provision of over 150 postgraduate courses spanning the Arts, Humanities and Sciences.
We believe strongly in supporting the academic development of our postgraduates. Our Early Researcher Development Programme (ERDP) provides training and workshops that will help you develop and maintain the key research, vocational and entrepreneurial skills necessary to meet the demands of your future career.
From the moment you arrive, you’ll be given as much help and support as possible with health and welfare matters as well as with your academic work. Our Student Support Services centre provides a one-stop-shop for advice and guidance on matters from money and housing to disability support, counselling and local faith provision.
Your work-life balance can be key to the success of your postgraduate study. Situated between the mountains, lakes and forests of the Snowdonia National Park and miles of dramatic coastline, Bangor provides one of the most attractive study locations in the UK, and is a great base for all kinds of outdoor sports and activities.
Bangor is at the heart of the region’s transport network, with quick road and rail links taking you across to Liverpool and Manchester in just 90 minutes. Bangor’s location on the London to Holyhead main line means that the regular ferry service from Holyhead Port to Dublin is just 20 minutes away, while a direct train will take you to the centre of London in little over 3 hours.
*excluding specialist institutions and single-submission universities.