Computer Architecture & OS
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Saad Mansoor
This module aims to:
- introduce students to the structure and components of a computer system.
- instruct students in peripheral devices, including input and output and data storage.
- present the key components and responsibilities of an operating system.
- introduction to processes and CPU scheduling.
Indicative content includes:
- CPUs, the von Neumann and Harvard models.
- Binary mathematics and operations.
- Digital logic, AND, OR, NAND, NOR, NOT, and XOR.
- Scheduling and resource sharing
- memory management
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Apply the binary, octal, and hexadecimal number systems and apply conversions between them.
Explain the key components of a general computer system.
Solve process scheduling and other resource sharing operations common to operating systems.
Understand the fundamental digital logic operations and extend them to create higher order operations.
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Class Test 1||30.00|
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Class Test 2||30.00|
|ASESIAD DAMCANIAETHOL ADOLYGOL||Architecture||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private study including completing individual assessments.
Practical seminar (1 hr x 12 weeks)
Traditional Lecture (2 x 1hrs x 12 weeks)
Laboratory exercises. (2 hrs x 12 weeks)
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of computer systems for controlling complex systems;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Problem solving strategies
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Specify, design or construct computer-based systems
- Deploy tools effectively
- Development of general transferable skills
- Knowledge of systems architecture
- System Design
- Knowledge and/or understanding of appropriate scientific and engineering principles
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain computer-based systems
- Principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H612: BEng Computer Systs Eng (3 yrs) year 1 (BENG/CSE)
- H61B: BEng Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BENG/CSE1)
- H610: BENG Electronic Engineering (3 yrs) year 1 (BENG/ELE)
- H62B: BEng Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BENG/ELE1)
- H61F: BEng Electronic Engineering year 1 (BENG/ELEF)
- H621: BEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 1 (BENG/ELEIE)
- G400: BSC Computer Science year 1 (BSC/CS)
- G40B: BSc Computer Science (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BSC/CS1)
- G40F: BSc Computer Science year 1 (BSC/CSF)
- I102: BSc Computer Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/CSIE)
- G40P: BSc Computer Science with Industrial Placement year 1 (BSC/CSIP)
- H118: BSc Data Science & Artificial Intelligencetellig year 1 (BSC/DSAI)
- H113: BSc Data Science and Machine Learning year 1 (BSC/DSML)
- H114: BSc Data Science and Visualisation year 1 (BSC/DSV)
- H611: BSc Electronic Engineering year 1 (BSC/ELE)
- H63B: BSc Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BSC/ELE1)
- H622: BSc Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 1 (BSC/ELEIE)
- H117: MComp Computer Science year 1 (MCOMP/CS)
- H661: MEng Control and Instrumentation Engineering year 1 (MENG/CIE)
- H617: MEng Computer Systs Eng (4 yrs) year 1 (MENG/CSE)
- H619: MEng Computer Systems Engineering (with International Exper) year 1 (MENG/CSEIE)
- H61P: Computer Systems Engineering with Industrial Placement year 1 (MENG/CSEP)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 1 (MENG/EE)