Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
To understand the role of Organisational Change, both incremental and radical, in improving business performance through the use of systems and process approaches. To understand the concepts of Quality and Value as they relate to products and services and how these can be managed to meet business objectives.
Indicative content includes:
- Introduction to company structures and Business Process Re-engineering.
- Workflow redesign and implementation, reengineering success or failure.
- Management Systems (ISO 9000 Quality Management Systems Introduction, ISO 9000-2000 History & Development, ISO 9000-2000 Main Clauses, ISO 9000 series of standards, ISO 14001)
- Environmental Management Systems
- Health and Safety Management Systems
- Quality Management Systems in Software
- Information Security Management Systems,
- Quality Management Principles
- Auditing, Media for Documentation,
- Integrated Management Systems
- EFQM Assessment & Scoring
- Comparison of TQM and BPR
- Introduction to Lean and Six Sigma Methodologies
- Definition of Quality – difference between Quality and Grade
- Historical development of Quality Management from Quality Control through Quality Assurance to Quality Improvement
- Feigenbaum’s Five Ages
- Quality Gurus, Quality Drives and Initiatives with latest developments
- Including Lean and Six Sigma
- Customer Service issues
- Management and Business Practices, environmental and ethical issues and the social context which affect engineers in the conduct of their profession
- Understand the meaning of Dependability.
- A working knowledge of certain Reliability Engineering Tools & techniques.
- An appreciation of Problem Solving Methodologies.
- An appreciation of the philosophies underlying the different approaches to inspection.
- Understand the significance of Product Certification.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Discuss quality in both a contemporary and historical contexts citing specific concepts, approaches, tools and techniques.
Relate Value Analysis & Value Engineering techniques to real scenarios.
Interpret industry standards and software and how these apply to Total Quality Management (TQM).
Summarise the legal framework that designers must consider in regard to product liability.
Explain how to measure the effectiveness of organisations using the European Foundation for Quality Management (EFQM) model.
Differentiate Business & Process Reengineering (BPR) from Total Quality Management (TQM) as a means of effecting large scale change within the right climate.
Describe use management systems as process analysis tools and means of establishing stability and improvement
|Process Quality Report||20.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Traditional lectures. (12 x 3 hour lectures)
Tutor directed Private study, including individual assessment and revision
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Formulate and analyse requirements and practical constraints of products, processes and services, place them in an engineering context and manage their implementation;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Plan, budget, organise and manage people and resources;
- Bring about improvement through quality control;
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Access and synthesize information and literature sources;
- Demonstrate an awareness of current advances and contemporary approaches in the discipline and have strategies for keeping that awareness current;
- Have an appreciation of moral, ethical, financial and environmental issues that may need to be considered when practicing as an engineer.¬†
- Problem solving strategies
- Analyse if/how a system meets current and future requirements
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Recognise legal, social, ethical & professional issues
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial and economic issues
- Knowledge of management techniques to achieve objectives
- Evaluate systems in terms of quality and trade-offs
- Recognise risk/safety for safe operation of computing equipment
- Deploy tools effectively
- Work as a member of a development team
- Development of general transferable skills
- Deploy systems to meet business goals
- Methods, techniques and tools for information modelling, management and security
- Defining problems, managing design process and evaluating outcomes
- System Design
- Principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H612: BEng Computer Systs Eng (3 yrs) year 3 (BENG/CSE)
- H61B: BEng Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BENG/CSE1)
- H610: BENG Electronic Engineering (3 yrs) year 3 (BENG/ELE)
- H62B: BEng Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BENG/ELE1)
- H61F: BEng Electronic Engineering year 3 (BENG/ELEF)
- H621: BEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 4 (BENG/ELEIE)
- H611: BSc Electronic Engineering year 3 (BSC/ELE)
- H63B: BSc Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/ELE1)
- H622: BSc Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 4 (BSC/ELEIE)
- H661: MEng Control and Instrumentation Engineering year 3 (MENG/CIE)
- H617: MEng Computer Systs Eng (4 yrs) year 3 (MENG/CSE)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 3 (MENG/EE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 3 (BSC/EEM)