Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Xianfeng Chen
This module aims to provide an introduction to the rapidly expanding subject of microengineering. Starting with a discussion of the benefits and market demand for microengineered systems, the module investigates clean room-based lithographic and other methods of microfabrication. Micro manufacturing issues for a range of materials such as silicon, polymers and metals will be discussed along with routes to larger scale manufacture. A range of example devices and applications will be used to illustrate manufacturing parameters.
Indicative content includes:
- Overview and history of microengineering. Example application areas. Advantages and disadvantages of microengineered systems. Current and future markets
- Basic photolithography. Masks, Resist technology, Etching, Exposure sources, resolutions. Emerging technologies, Applications and examples
- Silicon crystallography, mechanical properties of silicon, Etch methods, Etch stops, Examples and applications
- Mechanical properties of thin films. Surface machining processes. Poly-silicon processes, Silicon-on-insulator (SOI) processes. Examples and applications
- Resists and lithography. Electrodeposition processes. Injection moulding. Material properties of polymers, Hot embossing.
- Laser principles. Laser wavelengths and pulse regimes. Beam propagation. Machining techniques. Excimer lasers, Femtosecond laser micromachining.
Equivalent to 50%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Recognise key aspects and processes within the photolithography process.
Apply principles of Laser Micromachining to common industrial problems, detailing technologies and principles involved.
Recognise principles and techniques of bulk and surface micromachining.
Illustrate benefits gained by users of microengineered components over more traditional methods.
End of module examination.
Written report applying knowledge to an industrial context.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1x2 hour per week over 12 weeks.
1x2 hour per week over 12 weeks.
152 hours over 12 weeks.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply an understanding and appreciation of continuous improvement techniques
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Plan, budget, organise and manage people and resources;
- Communicate proposals persuasively and respond positively to feedback;
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
- Demonstrate an awareness of the need to work safely and comply within relevant legislative and regulatory frameworks;
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Problem solving strategies
- Methods, techniques and tools for information modelling, management and security
- Knowledge of management techniques to achieve objectives
- Work as a member of a development team
- Development of general transferable skills
- Knowledge and/or understanding of appropriate scientific and engineering principles
- Principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ice-4323.html
Fundamentals of Microfabrication and Nanotechnology, 3rd Edition, Marc J. Madou, :Publisher: CRC Press, 2011
The MEMS Handbook, 2nd Edition, Mohamed Gad-el-Hak, Publisher: CRC Press (2006), ISBN 9780429103872
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H6AP: MRes Electronic Engineering (Optoelectronics) year (MRES/EEOP)
- H6AJ: MSc Electronic Engineering year 1 (MSC/ELENG)
- H6AF: MSc Nanotechnology and Microfabrication year 1 (MSC/NANOTECH)