Dr Maziar Nezhad
Senior Lecturer in Nano-Opto-Mechanics
Dr Maziar Nezhad a senior lecturer at the School of Electronic Engineering, Bangor University. He received his PhD from the University of California San Diego (2007, Photonics), where he investigated the photonic properties of metallo-dielectric structures, including some of the earliest work on the mitigation of losses in plasmonic devices using gain compensation.
After graduation, he continued research in this area at UCSD's Qualcomm Institute (formerly CalIT), which culminated in demonstrating the first 3D subwavelength nanolaser operating at room temperature. In parallel he worked on optical interconnects and resonant devices in silicon photonic systems, including developing processes for fabricating extremely low-loss optical waveguides in silicon.
From 2011-2013 he was a visiting research scientist in the Integrated Photonics Laboratory at RWTH Aachen where he continued work on silicon-based interconnects, ultra-high Q resonators and silicon photonic devices including strained silicon modulators.
His current research activities include nanophotonics, nan-optomechanics, plasmonics, group IV photonics (silicon, germanium, diamond), nanofabrication and the application of photonics in other disciplines.
More information about his research can be found at: http://nanophotonics.bangor.ac.uk
- High-Q inverted silica microtoroid resonators monolithically integrated into a silicon photonics platformRichter, J, Nezhad, M, Hadam, B, Taubner, T, Knoch, J, Merget, F, Moscoso-Mártir, A & Witzens, J 2018, 'High-Q inverted silica microtoroid resonators monolithically integrated into a silicon photonics platform' Optics Express, vol. 26, no. 21, pp. 27418-27440.
- Air-clad suspended nanocrystalline diamond ridge waveguidesAbdou, A, Panduranga, P, Richter, J, Thomas, ELH, Mandal, S, Williams, OA, Witzens, J & Nezhad, M 2018, 'Air-clad suspended nanocrystalline diamond ridge waveguides' Optics Express, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 13883-13890. DOI: 10.1364/OE.26.013883
- CO2 laser micromachining of nanocrystalline diamond films grown on doped silicon substratesRichter, J, Abdou, A, Williams, OA, Witzens, J & Nezhad, MP 2016, 'CO2 laser micromachining of nanocrystalline diamond films grown on doped silicon substrates' OPTICAL MATERIALS EXPRESS, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 3916-3926. DOI: 10.1364/OME.6.003916
- Monolithically integrated waveguide-coupled silica microtoroidsNezhad, M, Richter, J, Nezhad, MP & Witzens, J 2015, 'Monolithically integrated waveguide-coupled silica microtoroids' Paper presented at Opto-Electronics and Communications Conference (OECC), Shanghai, 28 June - 2 July 2015, 3/01/01, pp. 1-3. DOI: 10.1109/OECC.2015.7340232
- On the measurement of the Pockels effect in strained siliconNezhad, M, Azedeh, SS, Merget, F, Nezhad, MP & Witzens, J 2015, 'On the measurement of the Pockels effect in strained silicon' Optics Letters, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1877-1880. DOI: 10.1364/OL.40.001877
- Nanoscale Metallo-Dielectric Coherent Light SourcesNezhad, M, Nezhad, MP, Simic, A, Mizrahi, A, Lee, JH, Kats, M, Bondarenko, O, Gu, Q, Lomakin, V, Slutsky, B, Fainman, Y, De La Rue, RM (ed.), Siyuan, Y (ed.) & Lourtioz, JM (ed.) 2014, Nanoscale Metallo-Dielectric Coherent Light Sources. in Compact Semiconductor Lasers. 2014 edn, Wiley, pp. 1-32. DOI: 10.1002/9783527655342.ch1
- Subwavelength semiconductor lasers for dense chip-scale integrationNezhad, M, Gu, Q, Smalley, JS, Nezhad, MP, Simic, A, Lee, JH, Katz, M, Bondarenko, O, Slutsky, B, Mizrahi, A, Lomakin, V & Fainman, Y 2014, 'Subwavelength semiconductor lasers for dense chip-scale integration' Advances in Optics and Photonics, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1-56. DOI: 10.1364/AOP.6.000001
- Silicon nanophotonics integration for chip-scale optical communicationNezhad, M, Grieco, A, Tan, DT, Ikeda, K, Nezhad, MP, Puckett, M & Fainman, Y 2014, 'Silicon nanophotonics integration for chip-scale optical communication' Paper presented at SPIE Conference Proceedings, Smart Photonic and Optoelectronic Integrated Circuits XVI, 3/01/01, pp. 898908. DOI: 10.1117/12.2044610
- Silicon nanophotonic devices for chip-scale optical communication applicationsNezhad, M, Fainman, Y, Nezhad, MP, Tan, DT, Ikeda, K, Bondarenko, O & Grieco, A 2013, 'Silicon nanophotonic devices for chip-scale optical communication applications' Applied Optics, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 613-624. DOI: 10.1364/AO.52.000613
- Room-temperature subwavelength metallo-dielectric lasersNezhad, M, Simic, A, Bondarenko, O, Slutsky, B, Mizrahi, A, Feng, L, Lmakin, V & Fainman, Y 2010, 'Room-temperature subwavelength metallo-dielectric lasers' Nature Photonics, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 395-399. DOI: 10.1038/nphoton.2010.88
- Light Actuated Microrobots
- Light Actuated Microrobots
- Chip-Scale Optical Microresonators with MEMS tunability