Introduction to Marketing
Run by Bangor Business School
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Mr David James
Overall aims and purpose
NOTE: This module is also available through the medium of Welsh (ACB-1104).
AIMS: To introduce the objectives and theory of marketing as a business function, the central focus being on the process by which organisations identify customer needs and wants, determine which target markets can best be served, and design appropriate products, services and programmes to serve these markets.
Core marketing concepts; Forces of the marketing environment, and their impact; Markets, targeting, segmentation and positioning; Consumer buying behaviour and the decision process; The marketing plan and its implementation; Place, Product, Price and Promotion.
Students who display a basic knowledge of the key concepts relating to marketing as a business function.
Students who display a good knowledge and understanding of the key concepts relating to marketing as a business function.
Students who display a thorough knowledge and a critical understanding of the key concepts relating to marketing as a business function.
Understand and explain the nature and the impact of the environment within which marketing takes place.
Appreciate the central role of consumers in the formulation of a marketing strategy.
Display an understanding of the components of a marketing mix.
Develop an understanding of processes involved in the targeting and segmentation of markets.
|Exam S2 2hrs||60|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Two 1-hour lectures per week.
One 1-hour seminar per fornight.
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 1 (BA/ABCH)
- N400: BA Accounting and Finance year 1 (BA/AF)
- N401: BA Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/AFIE)
- N322: BA Banking and Finance year 1 (BA/BIF)
- NN13: BA Business Studies and Finance year 1 (BA/BSF)
- NN14: BA Business Stud & Finance (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/BSFIE)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 1 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 1 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 1 (BA/BSIT)
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 1 (BA/BSM)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 1 (BA/BSSP)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 1 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 1 (BA/BUSCH)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 1 (BA/BUSS)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 1 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 1 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 1 (BA/BUSSI)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/BUSSIE)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 1 (BA/BUSSS)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 1 (BA/FBS)
- R1N1: BA French with Marketing year 1 (BA/FRMKT)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 1 (BA/GBS)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 1 (BA/GERMKT)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 1 (BA/MAF)
- N500: BA Marketing year 1 (BA/MK)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 1 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 1 (BA/MKTFR)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTFR#)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 1 (BA/MKTGER)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTSP)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 1 (BA/MKTSP#)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 1 (BA/SPBS)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 1 (BA/SPMKT)
- NN44: BSc Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 1 (BSC/ABIE)
- NN43: BSc Accounting and Banking year 1 (BSC/ACCB)
- NL41: BSc Accounting and Economics year 1 (BSC/ACCEC)
- NN4H: BSc Accounting and Finance year (BSC/ACCFIN)
- N402: BSc Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ACCFINIE)
- NL42: BSc Accounting and Economics with International Experience year 1 (BSC/AEIE)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 1 (BSC/BEC)
- N391: BSc Banking and Finance year 1 (BSC/BFIN)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 1 (BSC/BS)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 1 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 1 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 1 (BSC/BSMKT)
- L111: BSc Financial Economics year 1 (BSC/FINEC)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 1 (BSC/MWACC)
- 2R87: BSc Psychology with Business year 1 (BSC/PWB)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Manage (Subject to Validation) year 1 (BSC/SSB)
- M1N1: LLB Law with Business Studies year 1 (LLB/LBS)
Optional in courses:
- NR43: BA Accounting/Italian year 1 (BA/AIT)
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 1 (BA/ASP)
- L1T1: BA Economics and Chinese year 1 (BA/ECCH)
- LR13: BA Economics/Italian year 1 (BA/ECIT)
- LL13: BA Sociology/Economics year 1 (BA/ECS)
- LR14: BA Economics/Spanish year 1 (BA/ECSP)
- NR41: BA French/Accounting year 1 (BA/FRA)
- LR11: BA French/Economics year 1 (BA/FREC)
- NR42: BA German/Accounting year 1 (BA/GA)
- LR12: BA German/Economics year 1 (BA/GEC)
- LV11: BA History/Economics year 1 (BA/HEC)
- LL14: BA Social Policy/Economics year 1 (BA/SPEC)
- IN00: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business year 1 (BSC/CISB)
- GN41: BSC Computer Science for Business year 1 (BSC/CSFB)
- M100: LLB Law year 1 (LLB/L)