Run by Bangor Business School
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Prof Louise Hassan
Overall aims and purpose
strong textTo explore beyond the discussion of why people buy things, and examine how products, services, and consumption activities contribute to shape people's lives.
Introduction to consumer behaviour and module; Theories of learning and the role of memory in consumption; The influence of values on consumers and motivation theory; Personality and lifestyles; The fundatmental role of attitude: forming and changing attitudes; The complex process of making decisions; The role of others in consumption; Culture and consumption; The dark side of constumption.
Ability to recognise the fundamentals of consumer behaviour.
In addition to the above, demonstration of an ability to apply relevant consumer behaviour model to situation(s); able to recognise the limitations of consumer behaviour models.
In addition to the above, demonstration of reflection on the literature in the course of lectures.
Understand and apply different consumer behaviour theories and concepts.
Comprehend the complex interrelationships between the individual consumer and his or her social realities.
Discuss and critique marketing case studies that illustrate various examples of consumer behaviour , marketing pitfalls and success stories.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
One 2-hour lecture per week.
Reading and preparing for assessments
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
Subject specific skills
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Commercial acumen: based on an awareness of the key drivers for business success, causes of failure and the importance of providing customer satisfaction and building customer loyalty.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/asb-2107.html
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
- ASB-3104: Entrepreneurship Cap & Firm
- ASB-3513: Advanced Consumer Psychology
- ADB-3104: Entrepreneuriaeth Cyf & Cwmni
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BA/BSM)
- R1N1: BA French with Marketing year 2 (BA/FRMKT)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 2 (BA/GERMKT)
- N500: BA Marketing year 2 (BA/MK)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 2 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 2 (BA/MKTFR)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTFR#)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 2 (BA/MKTGER)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTSP)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 2 (BA/MKTSP#)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 2 (BA/SPMKT)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 2 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BSC/BSMKT)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 2 (BSC/MKT)
- 2R87: BSc Psychology with Business year 2 (BSC/PWB)
Optional in courses:
- NN45: BA Accounting and Banking year 2 (BA/AB)
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 2 (BA/ABCH)
- NN36: BA Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 2 (BA/ABIE)
- N400: BA Accounting and Finance year 2 (BA/AF)
- N401: BA Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/AFIE)
- NR43: BA Accounting/Italian year 2 (BA/AIT)
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 2 (BA/ASP)
- NG10: BA Business and Computer Information Systems year 2 (BA/BCIS)
- N322: BA Banking and Finance year 2 (BA/BIF)
- NR33: BA Banking/Italian year 2 (BA/BIT)
- NN13: BA Business Studies and Finance year 2 (BA/BSF)
- NN14: BA Business Stud & Finance (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/BSFIE)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 2 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 2 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 2 (BA/BSIT)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 2 (BA/BSP)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 2 (BA/BSSP)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 2 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/BUSCH)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 2 (BA/BUSS)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 2 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 2 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/BUSSI)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/BUSSIE)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/BUSSS)
- LN14: BA Economics/Accounting year 2 (BA/ECA)
- LN15: BA Accounting & Economics (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/ECAIE)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 2 (BA/FBS)
- NR41: BA French/Accounting year 2 (BA/FRA)
- NR31: BA French/Banking year 2 (BA/FRB)
- NR42: BA German/Accounting year 2 (BA/GA)
- NR32: BA German/Banking year 2 (BA/GB)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 2 (BA/GBS)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 2 (BA/MAF)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 2 (BA/SPBS)
- NN44: BSc Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 2 (BSC/ABIE)
- NN43: BSc Accounting and Banking year 2 (BSC/ACCB)
- NL41: BSc Accounting and Economics year 2 (BSC/ACCEC)
- NN4H: BSc Accounting and Finance year 2 (BSC/ACCFIN)
- N402: BSc Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/ACCFINIE)
- NL42: BSc Accounting and Economics with International Experience year 2 (BSC/AEIE)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 2 (BSC/BEC)
- N391: BSc Banking and Finance year 2 (BSC/BFIN)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 2 (BSC/BS)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 2 (BSC/BSFIN)
- GN41: BSC Computer Science for Business year 2 (BSC/CSFB)
- L111: BSc Financial Economics year 2 (BSC/FINEC)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/MWACC)
- M1N1: LLB Law with Business Studies year 2 (LLB/LBS)