Marketing Strategy & Man.
Run by Bangor Business School
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Sonya Hanna
Overall aims and purpose
To advance knowledge of strategic marketing concepts and models, and facilitate the development of a critical and evaluative approach to marketing analysis. To provide a vehicle for analysis of the nature of marketing and to evaluate the role of marketing in contemporary organisational environments.
The module will enable students to understand and evaluate the nature of marketing strategy as a vehicle for managing sustainable competitive advantage through branding, building relationships and entrepreneurial marketing. In doing so, the students will also be able assess and compare the various strategic approaches available to organizations and to evaluate strategic success through competitor analysis and market auditing.
Satisfactory Standard (D- to D+ / 40 - 49%) No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
High Standard (B- to B+ / 60-69%) Very good performance. Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Excellent (A- to A* / 70+ %) An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
C- to C+
Average Standard (C- to C+ / 50 - 59 %) Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Demonstrate an analytical and evaluative approach to marketing analysis.
Apply strategic marketing concepts, models and processes to case study organisations.
Understand and critically evaluate the professional and academic journal literature.
Demonstrate an understanding of the nature of marketing and marketing strategy in contemporary and changing organisational environments.
|CASE STUDY||Group Case-Study Presentation||40|
|EXAM||Exam S1 2hrs||60|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
One 2-hour lecture per week.
One 2hr or two 1hr tutorial per semester.
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
Subject specific skills
- Ability to work with people from a range of cultures.
- Building and maintaining relationships.
- Communication and listening including the ability to produce clear, structured business communications in a variety of media.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 3 (BA/ABCH)
- NN72: BA Administration and Management year 3 (BA/ADMGT)
- NG10: BA Business and Computer Information Systems year 3 (BA/BCIS)
- NN13: BA Business Studies and Finance year 3 (BA/BSF)
- NN14: BA Business Stud & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BSFIE)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 3 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 3 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 3 (BA/BSIT)
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BA/BSM)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 3 (BA/BSSP)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 3 (BA/BUSS)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 4 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 4 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/BUSSI)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BUSSIE)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/BUSSS)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 4 (BA/FBS)
- R1N1: BA French with Marketing year 4 (BA/FRMKT)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 4 (BA/GBS)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 4 (BA/GERMKT)
- N500: BA Marketing year 3 (BA/MK)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 4 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 4 (BA/MKTFR)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTFR#)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 4 (BA/MKTGER)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTSP)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 4 (BA/MKTSP#)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 4 (BA/SPBS)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 4 (BA/SPMKT)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 3 (BSC/BS)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 3 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BSC/BSMKT)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 3 (BSC/MKT)
- M1N1: LLB Law with Business Studies year 3 (LLB/LBS)
Optional in courses:
- NN45: BA Accounting and Banking year 3 (BA/AB)
- NN36: BA Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 4 (BA/ABIE)
- N400: BA Accounting and Finance year 3 (BA/AF)
- N401: BA Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/AFIE)
- NR43: BA Accounting/Italian year 4 (BA/AIT)
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 4 (BA/ASP)
- L114: BA Business Economics year 3 (BA/BE)
- L115: BA Business Economics (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BEIE)
- N322: BA Banking and Finance year 3 (BA/BIF)
- NR33: BA Banking/Italian year 4 (BA/BIT)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 4 (BA/BSP)
- LN14: BA Economics/Accounting year 3 (BA/ECA)
- LN15: BA Accounting & Economics (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/ECAIE)
- L1T1: BA Economics and Chinese year 4 (BA/ECCH)
- LR13: BA Economics/Italian year 4 (BA/ECIT)
- LL13: BA Sociology/Economics year 3 (BA/ECS)
- LR14: BA Economics/Spanish year 4 (BA/ECSP)
- NR41: BA French/Accounting year 4 (BA/FRA)
- NR31: BA French/Banking year 4 (BA/FRB)
- LR11: BA French/Economics year 4 (BA/FREC)
- NR42: BA German/Accounting year 4 (BA/GA)
- NR32: BA German/Banking year 4 (BA/GB)
- LR12: BA German/Economics year 4 (BA/GEC)
- LV11: BA History/Economics year 3 (BA/HEC)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 3 (BA/MAF)
- LL14: BA Social Policy/Economics year 3 (BA/SPEC)
- NN44: BSc Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 4 (BSC/ABIE)
- NN43: BSc Accounting and Banking year 3 (BSC/ACCB)
- NL41: BSc Accounting and Economics year 3 (BSC/ACCEC)
- NN4H: BSc Accounting and Finance year 3 (BSC/ACCFIN)
- N402: BSc Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ACCFINIE)
- NL42: BSc Accounting and Economics with International Experience year 4 (BSC/AEIE)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 3 (BSC/BEC)
- N391: BSc Banking and Finance year 3 (BSC/BFIN)
- GN41: BSC Computer Science for Business year 3 (BSC/CSFB)
- L111: BSc Financial Economics year 3 (BSC/FINEC)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 3 (BSC/MWACC)
- N2NH: BSc Management with Banking & Fin year 3 (BSC/MWBF)
- 2R87: BSc Psychology with Business year 3 (BSC/PWB)