Run by Bangor Business School
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Sara Parry
Overall aims and purpose
NOTE: If you register for this module, you cannot also register for ASB3212 Taxation.
To introduce advanced advertising and media theory, focussing on the role of advertising and its integration within contemporary marketing communications. To define the advertising management process. Messages, Media and Measurement. To present and apply the planning, development and evaluation of advertising campaigns and examine the functions of advertising agencies.
Theoretical advertising models; The advertising management process: messages, media and measurement of advertising effectiveness; Advertising campaign development, with emphasis on planning and analysing advertising media; Internet advertising, mobile and ambient media; The creative side of advertising, design and production of campaigns; Copywriting and art direction; Ethical issues in advertising.
Satisfactory standard: No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work’s objectives.
Excellent standard: An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Average Standard: Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
High Standard: Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Understand importance and procedures used to measure effectiveness of advertising.
Review the role of advertising in Marketing Communications.
Identify the main theoretical underpinnings of advertising strategy.
Develop advertising messages and their context: use creative strategy and tactics.
Examine media characteristics and set media objectives.
Plan and organise for an advertising campaign.
|Exam S1 2hrs||60|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
|Practical classes and workshops||2|
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
Subject specific skills
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Innovation, creativity and enterprise: the ability to act entrepreneurially to generate, develop and communicate ideas, manage and exploit intellectual property, gain support, and deliver successful outcomes.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Communication and listening including the ability to produce clear, structured business communications in a variety of media.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/asb-3112.html
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- N500: BA Marketing year 3 (BA/MK)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 4 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 4 (BA/MKTFR)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTFR#)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 4 (BA/MKTGER)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTSP)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 4 (BA/MKTSP#)
- N503: BSc Marketing (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICMRK)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 3 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/MKT1)
Optional in courses:
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 3 (BA/ABCH)
- NG10: BA Business and Computer Information Systems year 3 (BA/BCIS)
- N322: BA Banking and Finance year 3 (BA/BIF)
- NN13: BA Business Studies and Finance year 3 (BA/BSF)
- NN14: BA Business Stud & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BSFIE)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 3 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 3 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 3 (BA/BSIT)
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BA/BSM)
- 8N60: BA Business Studies and Marketing (with International Exp) year 4 (BA/BSMIE)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 3 (BA/BSSP)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 3 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 4 (BA/BUSCH)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 3 (BA/BUSS)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 4 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 4 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/BUSSI)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BUSSIE)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/BUSSS)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 4 (BA/FBS)
- R1N1: BA French with Marketing year 4 (BA/FRMKT)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 4 (BA/GBS)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 4 (BA/GERMKT)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 3 (BA/MAF)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 4 (BA/SPBS)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 4 (BA/SPMKT)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 3 (BSC/BEC)
- L19B: BSc Business Economics (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/BEC1)
- L191: BSc Business Economics with International Experience year 3 (BSC/BECIE)
- L192: BSc Business Economics (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICBE)
- N105: BSc Business Studies (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICBS)
- N106: BSc Business Stud & Finance (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICBSF)
- NN24: BSc Management with Account (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICMNA)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 3 (BSC/BS)
- N10B: BSc Business Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/BS1)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 3 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NN1J: BSc Business Studies and Finance (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/BSFIN1)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 3 (BSC/MWACC)
- N2NL: BSc Management with Accounting (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/MWACC1)
- 2R87: BSc Psychology with Business year 3 (BSC/PWB)
- C82B: BSc Psychology with Business (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/PWB1)
- 2R88: BSc Psychology with Business with International Experience year 4 (BSC/PWBIE)