Run by Bangor Business School
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Ru Xie
Overall aims and purpose
To provide a practical understanding of the economic and strategic features of international banking, the markets in which international banks operate, and how and why international banks are regulated.
Introduction to international banking; Comparative banking system; International consolidation and mergers in banking; Country risk analysis; Market structure and bank performance; Market Structure, Competition, and Stability; International financial crises---theory; International financial crises---cases; International financial regulation --- theory; International financial regulation --- applications.
thresholdA basic knowledge of course material.
goodIn addition to the above, an ability to write analytically on specific issues.
excellentIn addition to the above, the ability to illustrate and enhance arguments and analyses through the use of relevant supporting evidence drawn from the established literature.
- To understand why banks carry out international transactions in particular market segments.
- To understand why and how banks expand abroad.
- To identify and understand the different types of risk facing international banks and how to measure these risks.
- Comprehend the nature and role of international bank regulation.
- Understand the causes of international financial crises and how banking systems are affected.
- Appraise the policy prescriptions of international financial institutions in trying to resolve international financial crises.
|Exam S1 2hrs||60|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
|One 2-hour lecture per week.|
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- NN45: BA Accounting and Banking year 3 (BA/AB)
- NN36: BA Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 4 (BA/ABIE)
- N322: BA Banking and Finance year 3 (BA/BIF)
- NR33: BA Banking/Italian year 4 (BA/BIT)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 4 (BA/BSP)
- NR31: BA French/Banking year 4 (BA/FRB)
- NR32: BA German/Banking year 4 (BA/GB)
- NN44: BSc Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 4 (BSC/ABIE)
- NN43: BSc Accounting and Banking year 3 (BSC/ACCB)
- N391: BSc Banking and Finance year 3 (BSC/BFIN)
- N2NH: BSc Management with Banking & Fin year 3 (BSC/MWBF)
Optional in courses:
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 3 (BA/ABCH)
- N400: BA Accounting and Finance year 3 (BA/AF)
- N401: BA Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/AFIE)
- NR43: BA Accounting/Italian year 4 (BA/AIT)
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 4 (BA/ASP)
- NG10: BA Business and Computer Information Systems year 3 (BA/BCIS)
- L114: BA Business Economics year 3 (BA/BE)
- L115: BA Business Economics (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BEIE)
- NN13: BA Business Studies and Finance year 3 (BA/BSF)
- NN14: BA Business Stud & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BSFIE)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 3 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 3 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 3 (BA/BSIT)
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BA/BSM)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 3 (BA/BSSP)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 3 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 3 (BA/BUSS)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 4 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 4 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/BUSSI)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BUSSIE)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/BUSSS)
- LN14: BA Economics/Accounting year 3 (BA/ECA)
- LN15: BA Accounting & Economics (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/ECAIE)
- L1T1: BA Economics and Chinese year 4 (BA/ECCH)
- LR13: BA Economics/Italian year 4 (BA/ECIT)
- LL13: BA Sociology/Economics year 3 (BA/ECS)
- LR14: BA Economics/Spanish year 4 (BA/ECSP)
- NR41: BA French/Accounting year 4 (BA/FRA)
- LR11: BA French/Economics year 4 (BA/FREC)
- NR42: BA German/Accounting year 4 (BA/GA)
- LR12: BA German/Economics year 4 (BA/GEC)
- LV11: BA History/Economics year 3 (BA/HEC)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 3 (BA/MAF)
- N500: BA Marketing year 3 (BA/MK)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 4 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 4 (BA/MKTFR)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 4 (BA/MKTGER)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 4 (BA/MKTSP#)
- LL14: BA Social Policy/Economics year 3 (BA/SPEC)
- NL41: BSc Accounting and Economics year 3 (BSC/ACCEC)
- NN4H: BSc Accounting and Finance year 3 (BSC/ACCFIN)
- N402: BSc Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ACCFINIE)
- NL42: BSc Accounting and Economics with International Experience year 4 (BSC/AEIE)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 3 (BSC/BEC)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 3 (BSC/BS)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 3 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BSC/BSMKT)
- L111: BSc Financial Economics year 3 (BSC/FINEC)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 3 (BSC/MKT)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 3 (BSC/MWACC)