Italian Dissertation (JH Eng)
Run by School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics.
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Dr Rossella Merlino
Overall aims and purpose
This module brings together all the skills and experiences related to the study of Modern Languages and Cultures which students have acquired during Years 1, 2 and the Year Abroad. The successful completion of a dissertation gives students the opportunity to work on a research project as part of their degree course on a topic to do with the society, history, literature, and culture of the relevant country which is not already a specific component of the syllabus. This topic should be decided in agreement with the Supervisor. This module is intended as a foundation for the kind of writing requested at postgraduate level.
This module will enable the student 1. To gather a list of relevant sources for their chosen topic. 2. To gather relevant secondary research material for their chosen topic. 3. To gather relevant primary research material for their chosen topic. 4. To interrogate and analyse their source material in relation to relevant research questions. 5. To construct a coherent chapter plan for their dissertation. 6. To write up the project successfully in an academic manner to communicate the project and its results.
The dissertation will set the chosen research topic in a broader contextual framework. It will set research questions and devise a structure. It will describe and analyse the chosen topic using a range of relevant secondary and primary evidence. The project will be written up in an ordered and academic manner. An analytical summary will be provided in the target language.
(C- to B+) For the award of higher grades, students should demonstrate a solid comprehension of the topic of their choice and of research methods and academic writing techniques.
(A- to A*) For the award of higher grades, students should demonstrate a detailed comprehension of the topic of their choice and of research methods and academic writing techniques.
(D- to D+)
For the award of credit, students should demonstrate a satisfactory comprehension of the topic of their choice and of research methods and academic writing techniques.
The student will learn how to set this material in a broader context.
The student will learn how to construct an argument/analyse their evidence with precision and consistency.
The student will learn how to organise information and produce a written analysis.
The student will learn how to gather primary and secondary research material for their project.
The student will learn how to manage time and prepare their project satisfactorily for submission.
The student will learn how to summarise their findings in the target language.
|Italian Dissertation (Joint Honours Italian)||80|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Lecture (1 x 2 hour lecture per semester).
1:1 meetings with Supervisor (3 per semester)
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
Resource implications for students
Courses including this module
Optional in courses:
- NR43: BA Accounting/Italian year 4 (BA/AIT)
- NR33: BA Banking/Italian year 4 (BA/BIT)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/BUSSI)
- MR95: BA Criminology&Criml Just/Italian year 4 (BA/CRIT)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTITAL)
- LR13: BA Economics/Italian year 4 (BA/ECIT)
- 09V3: BA English Literature and Italian year 4 (BA/ELI)
- QR3H: BA English Language and Italian year 4 (BA/ELIT)
- RR13: BA French/Italian(4 years) year 4 (BA/FI)
- P0R3: BA Film Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/FSI)
- RR23: BA German/Italian year 4 (BA/GI)
- RV31: BA History/Italian year 4 (BA/HIT)
- QR53: BA Italian/Cymraeg year 4 (BA/ITCY)
- QR13: BA Italian/Linguistics year 4 (BA/ITL)
- CR6H: BA Italian/Sports Science year 4 (BA/ITSSC)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTITAL)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 4 (BA/MUIT)
- VVR3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Italian year 4 (BA/PRI)
- RR43: BA Spanish/Italian year 3 (BA/SI)