Joint Hon Italian Dissertation
Run by School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics.
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Dr Rossella Merlino
Overall aims and purpose
Aim The aim of this module is to give students the opportunity of working on something as part of their degree course which is not already a specific component of the syllabus and develop independent study skills and research skills during their semester abroad.
Subject Provided it meets with the approval of the Italian Examiners, the subject may be: - on any aspect of Italian life, literature or culture; - on any aspect of the life, literature or culture of Ticino; - an extension of the subject matter of an existing module, or in an entirely new area; - approached as a purely critical analysis, as a practical or a creative project or as a combination of both.
This module will give students the opportunity of working on something as part of their degree course which is not already a specific component of the syllabus and develop independent study skills and research skills during their semester abroad. Through this course students will enhance their study skills and academic writing techniques. This module is intended as a foundation for the kind of writing requested at postgraduate level.
50-69%: For the award of higher grades, students should demonstrate a solid comprehension of the topic of their choice and of research methods and academic writing techniques.
70+%: For the award of higher grades, students should demonstrate a detailed comprehension of the topic of their choice and of research methods and academic writing techniques.
40-49%: For the award of credit, students should demonstrate a satisfactory comprehension of the topic of their choice and of research methods and academic writing techniques.
Display evidence of original analytical thinking.
Display familiarity with citation and referencing techniques (including compiling a bibliography).
Display the ability to conduct research independently.
Demonstrate the ability to gather information and condense it in a clear and coherent argument.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Optional in courses:
- NR43: BA Accounting/Italian year 4 (BA/AIT)
- NR33: BA Banking/Italian year 4 (BA/BIT)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/BUSSI)
- MR95: BA Criminology&Criml Just/Italian year 4 (BA/CRIT)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTITAL)
- LR13: BA Economics/Italian year 4 (BA/ECIT)
- 09V3: BA English Literature and Italian year 4 (BA/ELI)
- QR3H: BA English Language and Italian year 4 (BA/ELIT)
- RR13: BA French/Italian(4 years) year 4 (BA/FI)
- P0R3: BA Film Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/FSI)
- RR23: BA German/Italian year 4 (BA/GI)
- RV31: BA History/Italian year 4 (BA/HIT)
- QR53: BA Italian/Cymraeg year 4 (BA/ITCY)
- QR13: BA Italian/Linguistics year 4 (BA/ITL)
- CR6H: BA Italian/Sports Science year 4 (BA/ITSSC)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTITAL)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 4 (BA/MUIT)
- VVR3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Italian year 4 (BA/PRI)
- RR43: BA Spanish/Italian year 3 (BA/SI)