Spoken Spanish Advanced
Run by School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics.
20 Credits or 10 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Dr David Miranda-Barreiro
Overall aims and purpose
- To increase competence in listening and speaking Spanish in a variety of communicative contexts and stlistic varieties.
- To increase the students' ability to apply different linguistic and communicative styles with an advanced level of competence.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
This topic-based module is the oral complement to LZS1001. It is a double module which aims to develop proficiency in spoken Spanish acquired at 'A' level. A range of audio and visual aids are used in each class in order to stimulate group discussions, debates and individual presentations on a particular theme. Aural skills are also developed through audio and video comprehension exercises. The purpose of this module is to enable students to defend themselves orally in a range of topics relating to contemporary Hispanic life and society and to improve comprehension of regional Spanish accents.
40-49%: Basic grasp of Spanish pronunciation; basic understanding of aural material in Spanish. Limited ability to converse freely in Spanish and respond to spoken material; limited ability to deliver a presentation in Spanish.
50-69%: Good grasp of Spanish pronunciation; good understanding of aural material in Spanish. Some ability to converse freely in Spanish and respond to spoken material; ability to deliver a presentation in Spanish.
70+%: Excellent grasp of Spanish pronunciation; excellent understanding of aural material in Spanish. Clear ability to converse freely in Spanish and respond to spoken material; clear ability to deliver a presentation in Spanish.
Discuss and defend a given topic as part of a team or individually.
Demonstrate an ability to extract and compile information presented in audio and video comprehension classes.
Incorporate new vocabulary and key expressions into oral work.
Develop an understanding of a specific topic relating to Hispanic culture and society.
|AURAL||video comprehension 1||
|Written assignment, including essay||Book/film review||20|
|AURAL||video comprehension test 2||15|
|EXAM||final oral presentation||30|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
2 weekly seminars per week for 11 weeks per semester.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- 3. Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novels) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- 4. Effective oral communication and presentation skills (including delivery and argument development, discussion and defence) in the target language through individual and/or group discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- 5. The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in oral assignments, showing familiarity with a range of topics and registers in formal and informal situations. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- 6. Develop aural comprehension skills in the target language, supported by a wide range of appropriate materials in different media. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lzs-1002.html
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
- LXS-2033: The Cinema of Spain
- LZS-2032: 3 Lang Project (3 major)
- LZS-2040: Spanish Language 1
- LXS-2028: Galician I
- LZS-2020: Spanish Language 1 (3 Major)
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 1 (BA/ASP)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 1 (BA/BSP)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 1 (BA/BSSP)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 1 (BA/BUSSS)
- T116: BA Chinese & German with Spanish year 1 (BA/CHGS)
- T120: BA Chinese & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/CHSF)
- T107: BA Chinese and Spanish year 1 (BA/CHSP)
- MR94: BA Criminology/Spanish year 1 (BA/CRSP)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTSP)
- LR14: BA Economics/Spanish year 1 (BA/ECSP)
- 3YT5: BA English Literature and Spanish year 1 (BA/ELIS)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 1 (BA/ELSP)
- R913: BA French & German with Spanish year 1 (BA/FGS4)
- R912: BA French, German & Spanish year 1 (BA/FGS4#)
- R919: BA French & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/FIS4)
- R917: BA French, Italian & Spanish year 1 (BA/FIS4#)
- R1R4: BA French with Spanish year 1 (BA/FS4)
- RR14: BA French and Spanish year 1 (BA/FS4#)
- R914: BA French & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/FSG4)
- R915: BA French & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/FSI4)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 1 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- R924: BA German & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/GIS4)
- R925: BA German, Italian & Spanish year 1 (BA/GIS4#)
- RR24: BA German/Spanish (4 years) year 1 (BA/GS)
- R2R4: BA German with Spanish year 1 (BA/GS4)
- R922: BA German & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/GSF4)
- R923: BA German & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/GSI4)
- 8Y64: BA German and Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/GSIE)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 1 (BA/HSP)
- R926: BA Italian & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/ISF4)
- R927: BA Italian & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/ISG4)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 1 (BA/LSP)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTSP)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 1 (BA/MKTSP#)
- P3R4: BA Media Studies with Spanish year 1 (BA/MSSP)
- P3R5: BA Media Stud with Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MSSPIE)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 1 (BA/MUSP)
- VVR4: BA Philosophy and Religion and Spanish year 1 (BA/PRS)
- RR43: BA Spanish/Italian year 1 (BA/SI)
- R400: BA Spanish year 1 (BA/SP4)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 1 (BA/SPBS)
- T110: BA Spanish with Chinese year 1 (BA/SPCH)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 1 (BA/SPCW)
- R4R1: BA Spanish with French year 1 (BA/SPFR)
- R4R2: BA Spanish with German year 1 (BA/SPG)
- R4R3: BA Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/SPI)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 1 (BA/SPJO)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 1 (BA/SPMKT)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 1 (BA/SPMS)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 1 (BA/SPSSC)
- M109: LLB (European) Law with Spanish year 1 (LLB/LIG)
- M119: LLB Law with Spanish (European Experience) year 1 (LLB/LSE)
Optional in courses:
- M100: LLB Law year 1 (LLB/L)