Joint Hon Spanish Dissertation
Run by School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics.
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Dr Helena Miguelez-Carballeira
Overall aims and purpose
This module brings together all the skills and experiences related to the study of Modern Languages and Cultures which students have acquired during Years 1, 2 and the Year Abroad. The successful completion of a dissertation gives students the opportunity to work on a research project as part of their degree course on a topic to do with the society, history, literature, and culture of the relevant country which is not already a specific component of the syllabus. This topic should be decided in agreement with the Supervisor. This module is intended as a foundation for the kind of writing requested at postgraduate level.
This module will enable the student 1. To gather a list of relevant sources for their chosen topic. 2. To gather relevant secondary research material for their chosen topic. 3. To gather relevant primary research material for their chosen topic. 4. To interrogate and analyse their source material in relation to relevant research questions. 5. To construct a coherent chapter plan for their dissertation. 6. To write up the project successfully in an academic manner to communicate the project and its results.
This module will give students the opportunity of working on something as part of their degree course which is not already a specific component of the syllabus and develop independent study skills and research skills during their semester abroad. Through this course students will enhance their study skills and academic writing techniques. This module is intended as a foundation for the kind of writing requested at postgraduate level.
D- -D+: For the award of credit, students should demonstrate a satisfactory comprehension of the topic of their choice and of research methods and academic writing techniques.
C- - B+: For the award of higher grades, students should demonstrate a solid comprehension of the topic of their choice and of research methods and academic writing techniques.
A- - A*: For the award of higher grades, students should demonstrate a detailed comprehension of the topic of their choice and of research methods and academic writing techniques.
Display the ability to conduct research independently.
Demonstrate the ability to gather information and condense it in a clear and coherent argument.
Display evidence of original analytical thinking.
Display familiarity with citation and referencing techniques (including compiling a bibliography).
Display competency in Spanish language and grammar.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in sophisticated written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novel) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise more sophisticated written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Extract and synthesise key information from written and/or spoken sources in English / Welsh and/or the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to organise and present ideas within the framework of a structured and reasoned argument in written and/or oral assignments and class discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- Critical skills in the close reading, description, reasoning and analysis of primary and secondary sources in the target language and/or English or Welsh (incl. filmic, literary and other sources). (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.14, 5.15)
- Competence in the planning and execution of essays, presentations and other written and project work; bibliographic skills, including the accurate citation of sources and consistent use of conventions and appropriate style in the presentation of scholarly work. (Benchmark statement 5.10, 5.14, 5.15)
- The ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints and to place these in a wider socio-cultural and/or geo-historical and political and/or socio-linguistic context and to revise and re-evaluate judgements in light of those of the course leader, certain individuals or groups studied and/or fellow students. (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.15 and 5.16)
- The ability to write and think under pressure and meet deadlines. (Benchmark statement 5.15)
- The ability to write effective notes and access and manage course materials including electronic resources / information provided on online learning platforms and library resources. (Benchmark statement 5.15, 5.16)
- The ability to work creatively and flexibly both independently and/or as part of a team. (Benchmark statement 5.15).
- The ability and willingness to engage with and appreciate other cultures and to articulate to others (in written and verbal form) the contribution that the culture has made at a regional and global level. (Benchmark statement 5.7)
- The ability to comprehend, critically engage with and apply relevant theoretical concepts to materials being studied. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
- The ability to engage in analytical, evaluative and original thinking. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- Critical understanding of key topics in the sphere of modern critical, cultural and translation theory, highlighting landmark figures and offering close readings of segments of their texts. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
- The ability to comprehend and apply cultural idioms by studying primary and secondary materials in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 4 (BA/SPBS)
- T110: BA Spanish with Chinese year 4 (BA/SPCH)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 4 (BA/SPCW)
- R4R1: BA Spanish with French year 4 (BA/SPFR)
- R4R2: BA Spanish with German year 4 (BA/SPG)
- R4R3: BA Spanish with Italian year 4 (BA/SPI)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 4 (BA/SPJO)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 4 (BA/SPMKT)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 4 (BA/SPMS)
Optional in courses:
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 4 (BA/ASP)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 4 (BA/BSP)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/BUSSS)
- MR94: BA Criminology/Spanish year 4 (BA/CRSP)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTSP)
- LR14: BA Economics/Spanish year 4 (BA/ECSP)
- 3YT5: BA English Literature and Spanish year 4 (BA/ELIS)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 4 (BA/ELSP)
- RR14: BA French and Spanish year 4 (BA/FS4#)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- RR24: BA German/Spanish (4 years) year 4 (BA/GS)
- 8Y64: BA German and Spanish (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/GSIE)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 4 (BA/HSP)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 4 (BA/LSP)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTSP)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 4 (BA/MUSP)
- VVR4: BA Philosophy and Religion and Spanish year 4 (BA/PRS)
- RR43: BA Spanish/Italian year 4 (BA/SI)
- QR54: BA Spanish/Cymraeg year 4 (BA/SPCY)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 4 (BA/SPSSC)