Modules for course V1AQ | DIP/HIST
These were the modules for this course in the 2018–19 academic year.
You can also view the modules offered in the years: 2019–20.
- HPH-4005: Themes and issues in History (20) The module will introduce you to current debates and important areas of research in historical discipline. These will include themes such as history and postmodernism, cultural history, gender, class, urban history, national identity, religious history. The selected topics will provide case-studies for understanding of changes in intellectual fashion, e.g. the shift from Marxism and Feminism to Postmodernism. We aim at allowing you to have a good awareness of historical debates, issues and shifting paradigms. Seminars will look at individual themes and historical approaches to these. Individual members of staff will usually focus on their particular period or topic of expertise, using it as a case-study; however, in the list of reading you will have a broader selection of literature that covers earlier and modern periods.
- HPH-4008: Initiating a Research Project (20) How to produce a successful thesis. Use of finding aids to compile lists of secondary and primary sources; presentation of scholarly bibliographies; production of critical literature search; construction of research plans for substantial and original research pieces.
20 credits from:
- HPH-4006: Documents and sources Med&EMod (20) (Semester 1) The course will examine a wide range of medieval and early modern genres of historical sources, including charters, records of central government, historians of medieval England and Wales, probate records, legal records, sources for parliament, visual sources, pamphlets.
- HPH-4007: Documents and Sources - Modern (20) (Semester 1) This module will introduce students to a variety of sources and documents essential in the research of modern history, including population sources, visual evidence, newspapers and journals, novels, social surveys, personal sources (diaries and autobiographies).
- Students must chose either the Medival & Early Modern Option or the Modern Option
20 credits from:
- HPH-4025: Disseminating Research (20) (Semester 1 + 2)
60 credits from:
- HPH-4027: The Inner City (40) (Semester 2)