Profile of Dr. William J Teahan
- Dr. William J Teahan
- 01248 382703
- Dean Street
I am currently a Lecturer in the School of Computer Science at the University of Wales at Bangor. My work involves research into Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Agents. Ongoing research has also specifically focused on applying text compression-based language models to Information Retrieval(IR) and text mining (i.e. Information Extraction). Before I came to Bangor, I was a research fellow with the Information Retrieval Group under Prof. David Harper at The Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen, Scotland from 1999-2000; an invited researcher in the Information Theory Dept. at Lund University in Sweden in 1999; and a Research Assistant in the Machine Learning and Digital Libraries Labs at the University of Waikato in New Zealand in 1998. At Waikato, I completed my Ph.D. in 1998 on applying text compression models to the problem of modelling English text.
- Wu, P. and Teahan, W. J. 2007. “A New PPM Variant for Chinese Text Compression”. Journal of Natural Language Engineering.
- Teahan, W.J., and Tuff, P.G. “A framework for Knowledge Sharing between Autonomous Agents”. WSEAS Transactions on Systems and Control, Issue 2, Volume 1, December 2006.
- Georgiou, L and Teahan, W.J., “Implications of Prior Knowledge and Population Thinking in Grammatical Evolution: Toward a Knowledge Sharing Architecture”. WSEAS Transactions on Systems, Issue 10, Volume 5, October 2006.
- Abel, J. and Teahan, W. 2005. “Universal Text Preprocessing for Data Compression”. IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 54, No.
- Khmelev, Y. and Teahan, W. J. 2003. “Comment on ‘‘Language Trees and Zipping”. Physical Review Letters, Vol. 90, No. 8, February.
- W. J. Teahan and D. J. Harper. 2003. “Using compression based language models for text categorization”. in Language Modeling for Information Retrieval, Croft, W.B and Laferty, J. (eds.), The Kluwer International Series on Information Retrieval, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Teahan, W.J., Wen, Y., McNab, R., and Witten, I.H. 2000. “A Compression-based Algorithm for Chinese Word Segmentation”. Computational Linguistics, 26(3):375-393. ISSN 0891-2017.
- Cleary, J.G. and Teahan, W.J. 1997. “Unbounded length contexts for PPM”, Computer Journal, 40(2/3):67-75. (Invited paper).
- Clifton, T. and Teahan, W.J. 2005. “Knowing-Aboutness: Question-Answering using a logic-based framework”. Advances in Information Retrieval. D.E. Losada and J.M. Fernandez-Luna (Eds.) 27th European Conference on Information Retrieval Research (ECIR 2005), March 21-23, Santiago de Compostela, Spain, pages 230-243.
- ap Cenydd, L. and Teahan, W.J. 2007. “The dynamic animation of ambulatory Arthropods”. EuroGraphics UK. (Awarded best paper prize).
- Brooks, R., Hunnisett, D. and Teahan, W.J. 2007. “A practical implementation of automatic text categorisation and correction for the conversion of noisy OCR documents into Braille and large print”. Workshop on Noisy Data. IJCAI’2007, Workshop on Analytics for Noisy Unstructured Text Data.
- Teahan, W.J, Al-Dmour, N. and Tuff, P.G. 2005. “On thought, knowledge, evolution and search”, Genetic Programming Symposium, Fifth Conference on Computer Methods and Systems (CMS'05), Krakow, Poland, 2005. (Invited paper).
- Wu, P. and Teahan, W.J. 2005. “Modelling Chinese for Text Compression”, Proceedings Data Compression Conference (DCC'2005).
- Ap Cenydd, L. and Teahan, W. J. 2005. “Arachnid Simulation: Scaling Arbitrary Surfaces”. EuroGraphics UK, 2005.
- Clifton, T. and Teahan, W.J. 2005. “Improving Regular Expressions for Question Answering Through Automated Induction and Exploitation of Named-Entity Tagging”. Prep 2005, Lancaster University.
- Al-Dmour, N.A. and Teahan, W.J. 2005. “Peer-to-peer Protocols for Resource Discovery in the Grid”. The IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Networks (PDCN).
- Al-Dmour, N. and Teahan, W. J. 2005. “The Blackboard Resource Discovery Mechanism for Distributed Computing over Peer-To-Peer Networks”. The IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Networks “PDCN 2005”, February 15-17, 20.
- Al-Dmour, N. and Teahan, W. J. 2004. “ParCop: A decentralised peer-to-peer computing system”. 3rd International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Networks (PDCN), University College Cork, Ireland.
- Al-Dmour, N. and Teahan, W. J. 2004. “The Blackboard Resource Discovery Mechanism for P2P Networks”. 16th IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing Systems ‘PDCS’, MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA, November 9-11, 2004.
- Hunnisett, D. and Teahan, W. J. 2004. “Context-based methods for text categorization”. The 27th Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference (SIGIR), The University of Sheffield, UK, July 25 - 29, 2004.
- Clifton, T., and Teahan, W. J. 2004. “Bangor at TREC 2004: Question Answering Track”. Proceedings 13th Text Retrieval Conference (TREC). Gaithersburg. U.S.A.