Dr William Teahan
Lecturer in Computer Science
Phone: 01248 382703
Location: Dean Street
I am currently a Lecturer in the School of Computer Science at the University of Wales at Bangor. My work involves research into Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Agents. Ongoing research has also specifically focused on applying text compression-based language models to Information Retrieval(IR) and text mining (i.e. Information Extraction). Before I came to Bangor, I was a research fellow with the Information Retrieval Group under Prof. David Harper at The Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen, Scotland from 1999-2000; an invited researcher in the Information Theory Dept. at Lund University in Sweden in 1999; and a Research Assistant in the Machine Learning and Digital Libraries Labs at the University of Waikato in New Zealand in 1998. At Waikato, I completed my Ph.D. in 1998 on applying text compression models to the problem of modelling English text.
- An automatic cryptanalysis of simple substitution ciphers using compressionAlkazaz, N, Irvine, SA & Teahan, WJ 2018, 'An automatic cryptanalysis of simple substitution ciphers using compression' Information Security Journal: A Global Perspective, vol 27, no. 1, pp. 57-75. DOI: 10.1080/19393555.2018.1426799
- Towards ethical robotsHeadleand, CJ, Cenydd, LA & Teahan, W 2016, Towards ethical robots: Revisiting Braitenberg's vehicles. in 2016 SAI Computing Conference (SAI). pp. 469-477. DOI: 10.1109/SAI.2016.7556023
- How the Perceived Identity of a NPC Companion Influences Player BehaviorHeadleand, CJ, Jackson, J, Williams, B, Priday, L, Teahan, WJ & Ap Cenydd, LL 2016, How the Perceived Identity of a NPC Companion Influences Player Behavior. in ML Gavrilova, CJK Tan & A Sourin (eds), Transactions on Computational Science : Special Issue on Cyberworlds and Cybersecurity. vol. XXVIII, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 9590, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, Berlin, Heidelberg, pp. 88-107. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-662-53090-0_5
- The influence of virtual reality on the perception of artificial intelligence characters in gamesHeadleand, C, Ap-Cenydd, L, Henshall, GI, Headleand, CJ, Henshall, G, Ap Cenydd, L & Teahan, WJ 2015, The influence of virtual reality on the perception of artificial intelligence characters in games. in Research and Development in Intelligent Systems XXXII. Springer, pp. 345-357. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-25032-8_26
- Does the Perceived Identity of Non-player Characters Change How We Interact with Them?Headleand, CJ, Jackson, J, Priday, L, Teahan, W & Cenydd, LA 2015, Does the Perceived Identity of Non-player Characters Change How We Interact with Them? in 2015 International Conference on Cyberworlds (CW). pp. 145-152, 2015 International Conference on Cyberworlds (CW), Visby, Sweden, 7-9 October. DOI: 10.1109/CW.2015.35
- Anthropomorphisation of software agents as a persuasive toolHeadleand, C, Priday, LJ, Ap-Cenydd, L, Headleand, CJ, Ap Cenydd, L, Priday, LR, Roberts, JC & Teahan, WJ 2015, 'Anthropomorphisation of software agents as a persuasive tool' Paper presented at Workshop on Understanding Persuasion: HCI as a Medium for Persuasion, British HCI 2015, 3/01/01, . DOI: research.shadowraider.com/xmlui/handle/1471/13
- Towards Real-Time Behavioral Evolution in Video GamesHeadleand, C, Henshall, GI, Ap-Cenydd, L, Headleand, CJ, Henshall, G, Ap Cenydd, L & Teahan, WJ 2015, Towards Real-Time Behavioral Evolution in Video Games. in Artificial Life and Intelligent Agents. 2015 edn, Springer, pp. 3-16. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-18084-7_1
- A new hybrid metric for verifying parallel corpora of Arabic-EnglishAlkahtani, SM, Alkahtani, S, Liu, W & Teahan, WJ 2015, 'A new hybrid metric for verifying parallel corpora of Arabic-English' Paper presented at The Fifth International Conference on Computer Science, Engineering and Applications (ICCSEA), Dubai, UAE. January 23-24, 2015, 3/01/01, .
- Implementation of Resource Discovery Mechanisms on PeerSim: Enabling up to One Million Nodes P2P SimulationJamal, AA, Awang, WS, Kadir, MF & Teahan, WJ 2015, 'Implementation of Resource Discovery Mechanisms on PeerSim: Enabling up to One Million Nodes P2P Simulation' International Journal of Digital Information and Wireless Communications, vol 5, no. 1. DOI: 10.17781/P001544
- Benchmarking Grammar-Based Genetic Programming AlgorithmsHeadleand, CJ, Ap-Cenydd, L & Teahan, WJ 2014, 'Benchmarking Grammar-Based Genetic Programming Algorithms' Paper presented at Thirty-fourth SGAI International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Cambridge, 9 - 11 December 2014, 3/01/01, .
- Randomised Multiconnected Environment GeneratorHeadleand, C, Henshall, G, Ap-Cenydd, L & Teahan, W 2014 'Randomised Multiconnected Environment Generator: Bangor University Technical Report CS-TR-004-2014' Bangor University, pp. 1-5.
- PPM Compression-based method for English-Chinese Bilingual Sentence AlignmentLiu, W, Chang, Z & Teahan, WJ 2014, 'PPM Compression-based method for English-Chinese Bilingual Sentence Alignment' Paper presented at 2nd international Conference on Statistical Language and Speech Processing (SLSP 2014), 14-16 October 2014, Grenoble, France, 3/01/01, .
- Experiments with a PPM Compression-Based Method for English-Chinese Bilingual Sentence AlignmentLiu, W, Chang, Z & Teahan, WJ 2014, Experiments with a PPM Compression-Based Method for English-Chinese Bilingual Sentence Alignment. in Statistical Language and Speech Processing Volume 8791 of the series Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, pp. 70-81. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-11397-5_5
- Berry Eaters: Learning Colour Concepts with Template Based EvolutionHeadleand, CJ, Ap-Cenydd, L & Teahan, WJ 2014, 'Berry Eaters: Learning Colour Concepts with Template Based Evolution' Paper presented at ALIFE 14: The 14th International Conference on thesynthesis and simulation of living systems ; July 30th – August 2nd, 2014 New York, NY, USA, 3/01/01, .
- Adaptive compression-based models of Chinese textTeahan, WJ, Wu, P & Liu, W 2014, 'Adaptive compression-based models of Chinese text' Paper presented at International Conference on Audio, Language and Image Processing (ICALIP), 7 - 9 July 2014, Shanghai, China, 3/01/01, pp. 874-881. DOI: 10.1109/ICALIP.2014.7009920
- Universal text preprocessing and postprocessing for PPM using Alphabet AdjustmentAlhawiti, K & Teahan, WJ 2014, 'Universal text preprocessing and postprocessing for PPM using Alphabet Adjustment' Paper presented at Proceedings of the Data Compression Conference, Snowbird, Utah, 26 - 28 March 2014, 3/01/01, pp. 395. DOI: 10.1109/DCC.2014.12
- Storyboarding for visual analyticsPop, SR, Walker, R, Ap-Cenydd, L, Pop, S, Miles, HC, Hughes, CJ, Teahan, WJ & Roberts, JC 2013, 'Storyboarding for visual analytics' Information Visualization, vol 14, no. 1, pp. 27-50. DOI: 10.1177/1473871613487089
- Grammatical HerdingHeadleand, CJ & Teahan, WJ 2013, 'Grammatical Herding' Journal of Computer Science and Systems Biology, vol 6, no. 2, pp. 042-047. DOI: 10.4172/jcsb.1000099
- An embodied approach to arthropod animationAp-Cenydd, L, Teahan, WJ & Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds, NV (ed.) 2013, 'An embodied approach to arthropod animation' Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds, vol 24, no. 1, pp. 65-83. DOI: 10.1002/cav.1436
- Constituent Grammatical EvolutionGeorgiou, L & Teahan, WJ 2011, Constituent Grammatical Evolution. in Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence. 2011 edn, Unknown, pp. 1261-1268. DOI: 10.5591/978-1-57735-516-8/IJCAI11-214
- A new PPM variant for Chinese text compression.Wu, P & Teahan, WJ 2008, 'A new PPM variant for Chinese text compression.' Natural Language Engineering, vol 14, no. 3, pp. 417-430. DOI: 10.1017/S1351324907004597
- Experiments with Grammatical Evolution in Java.Georgiou, L, Teahan, WJ & Kacprzyk, J (ed.) 2008, Experiments with Grammatical Evolution in Java. in Studies in Computational Intelligence. 2008 edn, Springer, pp. 45-62.
- Identification of gene function using prediction by partial matching (PPM) language models.Mahoui, M, Teahan, WJ, Sekhar, AK & Chilukuri, S 2008, Identification of gene function using prediction by partial matching (PPM) language models. in Proceeding of the 17th ACM conference on Information and knowledge management. 2008 edn, ACM, pp. 779-786. DOI: 10.1145/1458082.1458186
- The dynamic animation of ambulatory arthropods.ap Cenydd, L & Teahan, WJ 2007, 'The dynamic animation of ambulatory arthropods.' Paper presented at EG UK Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics (2007), 3/01/01, .
- Universal Text Preprocessing for Data Compression.Abel, J & Teahan, WJ 2005, 'Universal Text Preprocessing for Data Compression.' IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol 54, no. 5, pp. 497 - 507. DOI: 10.1109/TC.2005.85
- Knowing-Aboutness: Question-Answering Using a Logic-Based Framework.Clifton, T, Teahan, WJ, Losada, DE (ed.) & Fernandez-Luna, JM (ed.) 2005, Knowing-Aboutness: Question-Answering Using a Logic-Based Framework. in Advances in Information Retrieval, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol 3408/2005. 2005 edn, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, pp. 230-244. DOI: 10.1007/b107096
- A repetition-based measure for verification of text collections and for text categorizationKhmelev, DV & Teahan, WJ 2003, 'A repetition-based measure for verification of text collections and for text categorization' Paper presented at Proc 26th Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference (SIGIR), Toronto, Canada, July 28 - August 1, 2003., 3/01/01, pp. 104-110. DOI: 10.1145/860435.860456
- Comment on "Language trees and zipping".Khmelev, Y & Teahan, WJ 2003, 'Comment on "Language trees and zipping".' Physical Review Letters, vol 90, no. 8, pp. 089803. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.90.089803
- Using compression based language models for text categorization.Teahan, WJ, Harper, DJ, Croft, WB (ed.) & Lafferty, J (ed.) 2003, Using compression based language models for text categorization. in Language Modeling for Information Retrieval: The Information Retrieval Series: Vol. 13. 2003 edn, Springer, pp. 141-160.