Biology Practical Skills 2
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Isabelle Winder
This module aims to build on the foundation in laboratory, scientific and transferable skills which were introduced in semester one, and to develop skills necessary for students to study, research and communicate topics in biosciences. More specific aims include: • To develop skills such as literature searching, record keeping, and practical field and laboratory techniques. • To introduce students to the framing and testing of hypotheses. • To introduce students to the design, execution and analysis of experiments. •To introduce students to statistical techniques and show how they can be applied to real experimental data acquired in the module’s practical sessions. • To prepare a scientific report in the style of a published manuscript.
There will be 5 laboratory practical sessions (on a variety of topics) and one field trip. These are designed to introduce students to a range of organisms, laboratory techniques, and statistical analyses. There will also be 12 lectures and 7 optional help sessions. Students will develop a range of practical skills, and they will be introduced to statistical tests, including t tests and ANOVA, for analysing their results.
A threshold student (D- to D+) would have a basic knowledge of how to find, use and present scientific information. They would be able to carry out practical work safely, and demonstrate a moderate level of competence in practical and transferrable skills relevant to the biosciences.
C- i C+
A C-grade student (scoring C- to C+) would have a reasonable knowledge of how to find, use and present scientific information. They would be able to carry out practical work safely and reliably, and demonstrate competence in practical and transferrable skills relevant to the biosciences.
A good student (B- to B+) would have a good command of how to find, use and present scientific information. They would be able to carry out practical work safely and accurately, and demonstrate a high level of competence in practical and transferrable skills relevant to the biosciences.
An excellent student (A- to A*) would have an excellent grasp of how to find, use, critically evaluate and present scientific information. They would be able to carry out practical work safely and accurately, and demonstrate a high levels of both practical and transferrable skills relevant to the biosciences.
Design and execute experiments with rigorous scientific controls.
Perform simple scientific mathematical calculations relating to molarity, SI units, concentrations and dilutions, and solve numerical problems related to biological processes. Draw a clibration curve.
Understand concepts and acquire knowledge in the biosciences, relating to examples covered in classes.
Understand a range of statistical methods for analysing different types of scientific data, and select and apply an appropriate statistical analysis to a dataset.
Keep accurate records, and write well-structured, coherent, scientific reports, with appropriately-cited literature and reference lists.
Competently use basic laboratory equipment (such as spectrophometers, water baths, vortex mixer and centrifuge )and follow safe laboratory practice.
|GWAITH CWRS||Algae prac coursework||
For this assignment, students will write up the results section from their algae practical work. This will include answering a set of short-answer questions and preparing a summary of results as it would appear in a practical report.
|GWAITH CWRS||Data Handling Task||
For this assignment, students will perform a set of calculations making use of their data from the cloning practical completed as part of the module. There will be a mix of marks for working and correct answers in mathematical tasks and short-answer questions.
|GWAITH CWRS||Dapnia practical report||
Students will analyse the data from their dapnia heart rate practical and write it up in a full practical report.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
One degree programme-specific field trip.
Lectures to introduce topics and analytical techniques which will be needed. Guidance on report writing and analysis.
Directed study, analysis of data and preparation of scientific reports.
Optional help sessions
|Practical classes and workshops||
5 x 3hour laboratory classes
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Engagement with current developments in the biosciences and their application.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
- Undertake field and/or laboratory studies of living systems.
- Undertake practical work to ensure competence in basic experimental skills.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students need a lab coat and pen and paper.
Hawkins' Biomeasurement, 2nd Edition.
Other tests will be recommended by practical leaders for specific assignments.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C100: BSC Biology year 1 (BSC/B)
- C511: BSc Biology with Biotechnology year 1 (BSC/BIOT)
- C102: BSc Biology (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/BITE)
- C300: BSC Zoology year 1 (BSC/Z)
- C305: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour (with International Exp) year 1 (BSC/ZABIE)
- C3L2: BSC Zoology with Conservation year 1 (BSC/ZC)
- C319: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies year 1 (BSC/ZCC)
- C3L3: BSc Zoology with Conservation with International Experience year 1 (BSC/ZCIE)
- C3L4: BSc Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/ZCP)
- C304: BSC Zoology with Herpetology year 1 (BSC/ZH)
- C324: BSc Zoology with International Experience year 1 (BSC/ZIE)
- C3C1: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology (with International Exp) year 1 (BSC/ZMB)
- C350: BSC Zoology with Marine Zoology year 1 (BSC/ZMZ)
- C329: BSc Zoology with Primatology year 1 (BSC/ZP)
- C330: BSc Zoology with Ornithology year 1 (BSC/ZR)
- C3D3: BSC Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 1 (BSC/ZWAB)
- C101: MBiol Master of Biology year 1 (MBIOL/BIO)
- C510: MBiol Biology with Biotechnology year 1 (MBIOL/BIOT)
- C302: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 1 (MZOOL/AB)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 1 (MZOOL/CONS)
- C303: MZool Zoology with Herpetology year 1 (MZOOL/HERP)
- C325: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with International Exp year 1 (MZOOL/ZAIE)
- C321: MZool Zoology with Climate Change year 1 (MZOOL/ZCC)
- C353: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology year 1 (MZOOL/ZMZ)
- C306: MZool Zoology (with International Experience) year 1 (MZOOL/ZOIE)
- C301: MZool Master of Zoology year 1 (MZOOL/ZOO)
- C333: MZool Zoology with Primatology year 1 (MZOOL/ZP)
- C334: MZool Zoology with Ornithology year 1 (MZOOL/ZR)