DXX-1007 Academic Tutorial & Key Skills
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr James Gibbons
This module is designed to introduce a range of skills required for a degree in SENRGy and to encourage wider reading around the degree subject. The module also introduces key subject specific findings and literature.
During the welcome week (i.e. week 0 of the first year), students and their allocated tutor will meet and timetable 5 tutorial sessions to be spread throughout semester 1. In semester 2 there will be a further 5 tutorial sessions. In addition there will be a series of research talks given by academic staff in semester 1. In semester 2 tutorials will be supplemented by introductory GIS and information literacy sessions. During the first tutorial, tutors will discuss with their students the nature of the course, and the learning outcomes that are to be achieved. The tutor will lead a discussion on a topic for study, and the students will receive a list of suggested reading and a description of the task to be completed (i.e. essay or presentation). In subsequent tutorials, students will receive formative feedback on presented work, and the tutor will introduce the following topics and tasks. Topics covered will be chosen by the course director to be relevant and informative to the particular degree stream each student is following, thus the actual course content will vary between individuals. However, in order to ensure consistency across the school, the following overarching themes will be covered: the importance of factual accuracy when conveying information to the public and others, the role of a sound evidence base in policy making, the importance of interdisciplinary thinking.
Grade B- to B+ Demonstrate a good understanding of the main points of the subject material through both verbal and written communication. Communicate ideas effectively without major omissions or deviations from the point. Able to abstract a scientific paper demonstrating good understanding of the source material.
Grade A- and above Demonstrate a full understanding of the main points of the subject material through both verbal and written communication. Communicate ideas very effectively in a succinct yet thorough manner. Able to abstract a scientific paper demonstrating full understanding of source material.
Grade D- to D+ Demonstrate a basic understanding of the main points of the subject material through either verbal or written communication. Able to abstract a scientific paper demonstrating a basic understanding of source material.
Write logical, well structured scientific essays drawing upon appropriate, and correctly referenced, information from the scientific literature.
Use library facilities to undertake literature searches.
Give short oral presentations using appropriate visual aids within a given time limit.
Summarise, précis or abstract longer scientific papers or journal articles.
Take an active part in discussions in subject-specific seminars.
Use GIS to produce a map
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Individual Presentation 1||20.00|
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Individual presentation 2||10.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||GIS based map||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
10*1 hour (5 per semester)
10*1 hour academic research talks 5 hours of information literacy
Private and guided self-study
|Practical classes and workshops||
GIS Computer practicals
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Awareness of the concepts of spatial and temporal scale in understanding processes and relationships.
- Appreciation of the reciprocal nature of human-environmental relationships.
- Preparation of effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
- Engagement with current developments in the biosciences and their application.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- L700: BA Geography year 1 (BA/GEOG)
- L701: BA Geography (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/GEOGIE)
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 1 (BSC/APTME)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 1 (BSC/ATME)
- C184: BSc App Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Experience year 1 (BSC/ATMEIE)
- D503: BSc Conservation with Forestry with International Experience year 1 (BSC/CFIE)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 1 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 1 (BSC/CWF4)
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 1 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 1 (BSC/ECON4)
- D451: BSc Environmental Conservation (International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ENIE)
- F900: BSC Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ES)
- F901: BSc Environmental Science (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BSC/ES4)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ESF)
- 8U71: BSc Environmental Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ESIE)
- D501: BSc Forestry (with sandwich placement) year 1 (BSC/F)
- D502: BSc Forestry with International Experience year 1 (BSC/FIE)
- D500: BSC Forestry year 1 (BSC/FOR)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 1 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 1 (BSC/GEF4)
- F800: BSC Geography year 1 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- C328: BSc Wildlife Conservation year 1 (BSC/WLC)
- C332: BSc Wildlife Conservation with Place Yr year 1 (BSC/WLCP)
- D512: MFor Forestry year 1 (MFOR/FOR)
- D514: MFor Forestry with International Experience year 1 (MFOR/FORIE)
- D513: MFor Forestry (with placement year) year 1 (MFOR/FORP)