MRes Research Project
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
120.000 Credyd neu 60.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Anthony Blanchfield
The aim of this module is for students to complete 120 credits of research activity as part of a research project. To this end, four assessments are completed: a written proposal, verbal proposal, a written project and a verbal presentation of the final project
The content is student/project specific and will depend on the work the student does with his/her supervisor
A and above: The student’s work will be of a standard that is close to that which would be acceptable for submission for publication in a peer-reviewed journal. This will involve original interpretation, critical analysis of material, the use of recent research perspectives, and will demonstrate excellent depth and breadth of understanding. The communication style will be precise and concise with very few typographical or other errors. There will be comprehensive referencing of primary source material where appropriate.
A- and above: The student’s work will be of a standard approaching that which would be acceptable for submission for publication in a peer-reviewed journal. This will involve some original interpretation, critical analysis of material, the use of recent research perspectives, and will demonstrate very good depth and breadth of understanding. The communication style will be precise and concise with reasonably few typographical or other errors. There will be comprehensive referencing of primary source material where appropriate.
The student’s work will demonstrate: a good degree of original interpretation; good re-construction and critical analysis of material; the use of recent research perspectives; and good depth and breadth of understanding. The communication style will be precise and concise with minor typographical or other errors. There will be very good referencing of primary source material where appropriate.
The student’s work will demonstrate: some original interpretation; some evidence of extensive and thorough study; reasonably good reconstruction and critical analysis of material; the use of recent research perspectives; and reasonably good depth and breadth of understanding. The communication style will be acceptable with likely some fairly minor typographical or other errors. There will be good referencing of primary source material where appropriate.
Present a written report that communicates the completed, research project and their understanding of it;
Use existing literature to formulate research hypotheses and develop appropriate research methods in order to address a chosen research question
Demonstrate an ability to manage a substantial research project, including the ability to manage the ethics process.
Demonstrate a systematic, critical and analytical approach to the collection, organisation, and interpretation of scientific data
Demonstrate written and verbal communication skills appropriate to postgraduate level study.
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||verbal proposal||
This assessment is a verbal proposal presentation. The Powerpoint presentation should be submitted to Turnitin by 09:00 on Monday 7th December. Presentations will be delivered remotely before the end of Semester 1 on a date and time that is suitable for all students, supervisors, and verifiers.
The written proposal assignment should be submitted to Turnitin by 09:00 on Monday 15th February 2021
This final written assignment should be submitted to Turnitin at 09:00 on Monday13th September 2021
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||verbal project||
This assessment is a final verbal presentation. The Powerpoint presentation should be submitted to Turnitin by 09:00 on Tuesday 31st August. Presentations will be delivered remotely on a date and time that is suitable for all students, supervisors, and verifiers.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
“This course will be taught through a combination of lectures, seminar, tutorials and workshops. For September 2020 we will be starting the academic year with a blended learning approach in response to Covid 19. For the most up to date information on this please look at https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/september-faqs.php.en”.
In this module, a heavy emphasis is placed on independent learning. The module is therefore driven by the supervisor and the MRes student. The student should work autonomously while maintaining frequent contact with their supervisor in order to design, plan manage, analyse and report the research project(s) in a way that is reflective of the scientific process.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- plan and design practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- project manage and execute practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- recognise and respond to moral, ethical, sustainability and safety issues that directly pertain to the context of study including relevant legislation and professional codes of conduct
- demonstrate an understanding of the philosophical basis of scientific paradigms
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.