Rhedir gan School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Anthony Blanchfield
Ever wondered how nutrition influences elite performance and health in athletes? Learn the underpinning science of sport nutrition and how a sports nutritionist translates this into practice with elite performers.
You will learn about the influence that nutrition has on elite athlete performance and health and how science translates into nutritional practice. This will include - understanding the specific nutritional demands of the exercising individual; including, the role of carbohydrate and fluid availability and the effect of various dietary strategies on performance and health. You will explore whether nutritional supplements can improve athlete performance and health. The module aims to increase your confidence in translating the core science into practical nutritional advice for pre-event, during event and recovery. You will gain a practical understanding of the use of dietary assessment techniques with elite performers.
Evidence of extensive and thorough understanding of the learning outcomes listed; good capacity to interpret, relate and use material flexibly; succinct critical writing; no notable omissions or rerrors or irrelevancies; adequate referencing, using adequate primary sources.
Students must show an ability to critically reconstruct material and evidence of wide reading of current research literature and extensive use of primary sources. Students are able to accurately present, interpret and analyse data and form clear conclusions to answer the question.
Limited evidence of understanding of the learning outcomes listed; work generally descriptive in nature; notable omissions, errors and irrelevancies; poor referencing and use of primary sources.
Apply previously acquired biochemical and physiological knowledge to understand digestion of macro/micro nutrients and their fate in energy metabolism
Demonstrate a clear understanding of how diet influences sports performance and how different events have different nutritional requirements
Understand the specific role of carbohydrate and fluid availability in endurance performance
Demonstrate the effects of ergogenic aids on sports performance
Demonstrate a clear understanding of the appropriate use of dietary analysis with sport performers
This is a practical, real-world assignment where you will be assessed on your understanding of the use of dietary assessment techniques with elite performers.
This MCQ will assess your understanding of the processes of digestion and energy metabolism.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Dietary analysis workshop
Lectures and accompanying podcasts. Optional workshop.
Required and recommended reading each week.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- plan and design practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- accurately interpret case study data
- develop justifiable and/or evidence-based interventions
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 2 (BSC/SHES)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 2 (BSC/SPS)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/SSIE)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 2 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 2 (MSCI/SS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- CQ65: BA Cymraeg/Sports Science year 2 (BA/SPSW)
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 2 (BSC/ASS)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 2 (BSC/SHPE)
- C602: BSC Sport Science (ODA) year 2 (BSC/SSOA)
- 2W68: BSc Sports Science (Outdoor Activities) (with Int Exp) year 2 (BSC/SSOIE)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 2 (MSCI/ASS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 2 (MSCI/SSOA)