Sounds and Sound Systems
Sounds and Sound Systems 2022-23
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 2
- articulatory phonetics,
- spectrographic analysis,
- melody and prosody,
- phonological patterns
- phonological theory
- representation of speakers’ phonological knowledge.
-threshold -D: Student has achieved the minimum acceptable standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all the learning outcomes. Student can demonstrate a minimum level of understanding of the basic concepts and be able to apply them to data with some degree of accuracy.
-good -B: Student has achieved a better-than-average standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all learning outcomes, and has a clear and accurate understanding of concepts; ability to apply concepts to data critically and thoughtfully; evidence of wide reading and clear and accurate reference to source materials; free from misunderstanding and errors of content; free from irrelevant material.
-excellent -A: Student has achieved a thorough standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all learning outcomes; or student has demonstrated an exceptional level of achievement in one or more learning outcomes together with a good overall standard: student has achieved a thorough understanding of the subject, both in terms of content and theory; student is able to apply concepts clearly and accurately; substantial evidence of critical and original thought and analysis; clear, logical argument; high level of communicative competence; free from irrelevant material and errors of spelling and punctuation; evidence of extensive reading beyond basic texts and clear and accurate references to source material.
- Students will be aware of the basic techniques for the instrumental analysis of speech.
- Students will be familiar and able to describe the properties of sounds, and understand how these properties affect the way sounds behave.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of modern phonological theory - how sound systems are structured and how sounds and phonological processes are represented.
- Students will develop their ability to recognise and identify different sounds and to transcribe them using the IPA.
- Students will know the types of phonological processes that languages employ, using examples from varieties of English and other languages.
Phonetics Online Test
Phonology Online Test