Advanced Vocabulary and Reading Use
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Andrew Salter
This module, available only to non-native speakers of English, aims to enable students to widen their range of academic, topic-related and social vocabulary. This helps them to improve the quality of their writing through appropriate vocabulary choice and correct usage. The reading elements of the module enable students to enhance their ability to identify main points in text and to paraphrase effectively. This enables them to synthesise material from several sources and incorporate it correctly into their own written work in an appropriate style. Students practise techniques to increase their reading speed and are encouraged to raise their awareness of style and genre in text and to recognise the force of implication and hedging in understanding the authors intent and meaning.
This course is suitable for Non-native speakers of English with an IELTS of less than 7.0
Pass 50% A students has achieved a good standard of English language competence in reading and writing skills in coursework and examination related to the learning outcomes above (equivalent to IELTS 6.5). Reading speed still has room for development and there is some difficulty in identifying and using key points from text. Notes may, therefore, show a few omissions. Appreciation of text force is limited but increasing in depth. There is evidence of appreciable development and usage of vocabulary expansion in different contexts.
Excellent 70% A student has achieved an excellent standard of English language competence in reading and writing skills in coursework and examination related to the learning outcomes above (equivalent to IELTS 7.0 or above). A student is a competent, effective reader of English with a good appreciation of all aspects of text. Notes are comprehensive, accurate and well organised. Vocabulary usage is appropriate to function and is wide in range and complexity, resulting in very good academic written discourse.
On successful completion of this module, students will:
- Be able to read, understand and appraise a variety of written styles.
- Demonstrate appropriate vocabulary use in academic writing.
- Demonstrate a broad knowledge of English words and expressions.
- Be able to identify the main points in reading texts and incorporate them into their own written work, using appropriate paraphrase.
- Be able to take notes from reading and use the notes for effective paraphrase.
- Have increased their reading speed.
- Be able to synthesise material into their written work from a variety of sources.
|Vocabulary Use & Reading Exam||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3BJ: MA Music with Education year 1 (MA/MUSED)