Profile of Professor Martin Taylor
- Professor Martin Taylor
- 01248 382686
- Dean Street
Professor Martin Taylor holds a Personal Chair in the University of Wales and heads Organic Electronics Research at Bangor. He was gained both his BSc in Electronic Engineering and PhD from the University of Wales. His PhD was awarded for a thesis entitled "Electrical Characteristics of Polymeric Materials". Professor Taylor is a Fellow of the Institute of Physics (IOP) and has served on the Committee of the IOP Static Electrification Group for many years. He is also a Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology and a Chartered Engineer.
He has published many papers on the electrical properties of thin films, including insulating polymers, silicon dioxide, Langmuir-Blodgett films and semiconducting organic materials. This last interest led to his current research programmes - interfaces in organic MIS devices, organic thin film transistors and circuits, the development of a vacuum-evaporation route to the fabrication of plastic electronic circuits and organic resistive RAMs.
He is a member of EPSRC’s Peer Review College, an External Advisory Board Member for Imperial College’s Doctoral Training Centre and the Centre for Plastic Electronics and for Cambridge University’s Innovative Manufacturing Research Centre for Large Area Electronics and an EU FP7 project reviewer.
Ever since his PhD studies, Professor Taylor has been interested in the problems caused by static electricity in industry. This has led to consultancies with some of the world’s leading companies and culminated in the publication of a book entitled ‘Industrial Electrostatics – Fundamentals and Measurements
1. 'Industrial Electrostatics – Fundamentals and Measurements' D M Taylor and P E Secker, Research Studies Press Ltd and John Wiley and Sons Inc. (Print Run of 500 sold out)
2. ‘Electrostatics 1999’ Proceedings of the 10th Int. Conf. on Electrostatics, Inst of Physics Conf. Series No. 163, Ed. D M Taylor, ISBN 0 7503 0638 6.
3. ‘Electrostatics 2011’ Proceedings of the 13th Int. Conf. on Electrostatics, Journal of Physics: Conf. Series Vol. 301, Ed. D.M. Taylor, doi:10.1088/1742-6596/301/1/011001
Peer Reviewed Journals and Refereed Conferences
- ‘Vacuum Production of OTFTs by Vapour Jet Deposition of DNTT on a Lauryl Acrylate Functionalised Dielectric Surface’, Z. Ding, G.A.W. Abbas, H.E. Assender, J.J. Morrison, S.G. Yeates, E.R. Patchett, D.M. Taylor, 2016, Org. Electron. 31, 90-97.
- ‘Stable Organic Static Random Access Memory from a Roll-to-roll Compatible Vacuum Evaporation Process’, J.A. Avila-Niño, E.R.Patchett, D.M. Taylor, H. E. Assender, S.G. Yeates, Z. Ding and J.J.Morrison, 2016, Org. Electron. 31, 77-81.
- ‘Organic ring oscillators with sub-200 ns stage delay based on a solution-processed p-type semiconductor blend’, C.P. Watson, B. A. Brown, J. Carter, J. Morgan and D.M. Taylor, 2015 Adv. Electron. Mater. 1500322, Published on-line 08/01/2016. DoI: 10.1002/aelm.201500322
- ‘Progress in organic integrated circuit manufacture’, D. M. Taylor, 2016 J. J. Appl. Phys. 55, 02BA01 (invited review).
- ‘Vacuum-thermal-evaporation: the route for roll-to-roll production of large-area organic electronic circuits’, D.M.Taylor, 2015 Sol. State Electron., 30, 054002. (invited review)
- ‘Microfluidic electronic tongue’, C.M. Daikuzonoa, C.A.R. Dantasb, D. Volpatib, C.J.L. Constantinos, M.H.O. Piazzettae, A.L. Gobbie, D.M. Taylor, O.N. Oliveira Jr., A. Riul Jr., 2015 Sensors and Actuators B 207, 1129–1135
- ‘Fabrication and simulation of organic transistors and functional circuits’ D. M. Taylor, E. R. Patchett, A. Williams, Z. Ding, H. E. Assender, J. J. Morrison and S. G. Yeates, 2015 Chem. Phys. 456, 85-92.
- ‘Photo-response of a P3HT:PCBM blend in metal-insulator-semiconductor capacitors’ M. Devynck, B. Rostirolla, C.P. Watson and D.M.Taylor, 2014 Appl. Phys. Lett., 105 183301
- ‘Microfluidic electronic tongue’ C.M. Daikuzono, C.A.R. Dantas, D. Voplati, C.J.L. Constantino, M.H.O. Piazzetta, A.L. Gobbi, D.M. Taylor, O.N. Oliveira Jr and A. Riul Jr, 2015, Sens. Actuators B, 207 1129-1135.
- ‘Effect of oxygen, moisture and illumination on the stability and reliability of dinaphtho[2,3-b:2’,3’-f]thieno[3,2-b]thiophene (DNTT) OTFTs during operation and storage’ Z. Ding, G. Abbas, H. Assender, J. Morrison, S. Yeates, E. Patchett and D.M. Taylor, 2014, ACS Appl. Mater. Interf., 6, 15224-15231.
- ‘Organic digital and analog circuits fabricated in a roll-to-roll compatible vacuum-evaporation process’, D.M. Taylor, E.R. Patchett, A. Williams, N. Joncew Neto, Z. Ding, H.E. Assender, J.J. Morrison and S.G. Yeates, 2014, IEEE Trans Electron Devices, 61, 2950-2956.
- ‘A high-yielding evaporation-based process for organic transistors based on the semiconductor DNTT’, G.A. Abbas, Z. Ding, H.E. Assender, J.J. Morrison, S.G. Yeates, E.R. Patchett and D.M.Taylor, 2014, Org. Electron., 15, 1998-2006.
- ‘A high-yield vacuum-evaporation-based R2R-compatible fabrication route for organic electronic circuits’, E.R. Patchett, A. Williams, Z. Ding, G. Abbas, H.E. Assender, J.J. Morrison, S.G. Yeates and D.M. Taylor, 2014, Org. Electron., 15, 1493-1502.
- ‘Improving the performance of organic thin film transistors formed on a vacuum flash-evaporated acrylate insulator’, Z. Ding, G.A.W. Abbas, H.E. Assender, J.J. Morrison, V. Sanchez-Romaguera, S.G. Yeates and D.M. Taylor, Appl. Phys. Lett., 103 (2013) 233301.
- ‘Scanning Kelvin probe measurements on As-doped CdTe solar cells’, W. S. M. Brooks, S. J. C. Irvine and D. M. Taylor, 2013, Semicond. Sci.Techn., 28, 105024.
- ‘Simulating the Electrical Characteristics of Organic TFTs Prepared by Vacuum Processing’, D. M. Taylor, A. Williams, E. R. Patchett, G. A. Abbas, Z. Ding, H. E. Assender, J. J. Morrison and S. G. Yeates, 2013, IEEE J. Display Techn., DOI 10.1109/JDT.2013.2255023.
- ‘The role of internal structure in the anomalous switching dynamics of metal-oxide/polymer resistive RAMs’, P. R. F. Rocha, A. Kiazadeh, D. M. De Leeuw, S. C. J. Meskers, F. Verbakel, D. M. Taylor and H. L. Gomes, 2013, J. Appl. Phys., 113, 134504.
- ‘Photon-assisted capacitance-voltage study of organic metal-insulator-semiconductor capacitors’, C. P. Watson, M. Devynck and D. M. Taylor, 2013, Org. Electron., 14, 1728.
- ‘Hysteresis-free Vacuum-Processed Acrylate-Pentacene Thin Film Transistors’, G. Abbas, Z. Ding, K. Mallik, H. Assender and D. M. Taylor, 2013, Electron Device Lett., 34, 268.
- ‘Electrical characterization of poly(amide-imide) for application in organic field effect devices’, E.M. Lopes, R.S. Ywata, N. Alves, F.M. Shimizu, D.M. Taylor, C.P. Watson, A.J.F. Carvalho, J.A. Giacometti 2012, Org. Electron., 13, 2109.
- ‘Fixed negative interface charges compromise ferroelectric field-effect transistors’, R Kalbitz, R Gerhard and D M Taylor, 2012, Org. Electron., 13, 875.
- Demonstration of interfacial charge transfer in an organic charge injection device’, C P Watson and D M Taylor, 2011, Appl. Phys. Lett.,99, 2233304.
- ‘Organic thin-film transistors with electron-beam cured and flash deposited polymeric gate dielectric’, G Abbas and H Assender, M Ibrahim and D M Taylor 2011, J. Vac. Sci. Technol., B 29, 052401.
- ‘Small-signal response of nanocrystalline-titanum dioxide/poly(3-hexylthiophene) heterojunction solar cells’, H Al-Dmour and D M Taylor, 2011, Thin Sol. Films, 519, 8135.
- ‘Organic electronic memory based on a ferroelectric polymer’, R Kalbitz, P Frübing, R Gerhard and D M Taylor, 2011, J. Phys: Conf Ser, 301, 012055.
- ‘Stability of polarization in organic ferroelectric metal-insulator-semiconductor structures’, R Kalbitz, P Frübing, R Gerhard and D M Taylor, 2011, Appl Phys Lett, 98, 033303.
- ‘Influence of lateral currents on capacitance spectra of organic metal-insulator-semiconductor structures with a ferroelectric insulator’, R Kalbitz, P Frübing, R Gerhard and D M Taylor, Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Solid Dielectrics, Potsdam July 2010, p410-413.
- ‘Thermo-mechanical stabilisation of a crystalline organic semiconductor for robust large area electronics’, M M Ibrahim, A C Maciel, C P Watson, M-M Madec, S G Yeates and D M Taylor, 2010, Organic Electronics, 11, 1234-1241.
- ‘Electrical response of highly ordered organic thin film metal-insulator-semiconductor devices’, M Ullah, D M Taylor, R Schwodiauer, H Sitter, S Bauer, N S Sariciftci and T B Singh, 2010, J.Appl. Phys., 106, 114505
- ‘‘Thermo-mechanical stabilisation of a crystalline organic semiconductor for robust large area electronics’, M M Ibrahim, A C Maciel, C P Watson, M-M Madec, S G Yeates and D M Taylor, 2010, Organic Electronics, 11, 1234-1241.
- ‘Electrical response of highly ordered organic thin film metal-insulator-semiconductor devices’, M Ullah, D M Taylor, R Schwodiauer, H Sitter, S Bauer, N S Sariciftci and T B Singh, 2010, J.Appl. Phys., 106, 114505.
- ‘Azine bridge formation during the electrografting of acrylonitrile’, P A Easter and D M Taylor, 2009, J.Poly.Sci.: Polymer Chem., 47, 1685-1695.
- ‘Revisiting the Origin of Open Circuit Voltage in nc-TiO2/Polymer Heterojunction Solar Cells’, H. Al-Dmour and D. M. Taylor, 2009, Appl Phys Lett, 94, 223309.
- ‘Floating-gate memory based on an organic metal-insulator-semiconductor capacitor’, S William, D M Taylor and M F Mabrook, 2009, Appl Phys Lett, 106, 114505.
- ‘Electrical response of highly ordered organic thin film metal-insulator-semiconductor devices’, M. Ullah, D. M. Taylor, R. Schwödiauer, H. Sitter, S. Bauer, N. S. Sariciftci and Th. B. Singh, 2009, J. Appl. Phys., 106, 114505.
(Selected for inclusion in the 21 Dec 2009 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and Technology, published by the Am Inst Phys and Am Phys Soc in cooperation with numerous other societies and publishers. It is an edited compilation of links to articles covering a focused area of frontier research).
- 'Switching in polymeric resistance random-access memories (RRAMs)', H. L. Gomes, A. R. V. Benvenho, D. M. de Leeuw, M. Cölle, P. Stallinga, F. Verbakel and D. M. Taylor, 2008, Organic Electronics, 9, 119-128.
- ‘Separating interface state response from parasitic effects in admittance measurements on organic metal-insulator-semiconductor capacitors’, D. M. Taylor and N. Alves, 2008, J. Appl. Phys., 103, 054509.
- ‘Determining the interfacial density of states in metal-insulator-semiconductor devices based on poly(3-hexylthiophene)’, N. Alves and D. M. Taylor, 2008, Appl. Phys. Lett., 92, 10331.
- ‘Voltage- and light-induced hysteresis effects at the high-k dielectric-poly(3-hexylthiophene) interface’, J. Lancaster, D. M. Taylor and P. Sayers, 2007, Appl. Phys Lett, 90, Art. No. 103513.
- ‘Evaluation of the chemical, electronic and optoelectronic properties of gamma-CuCl thin films and their fabrication on Si substrates’, F. O. Lucas, A. Mitra, P. J. McNally, S. Daniels, A. L. Bradley, D M. Taylor, Y. Y. Proskuryakov, K. Durose, D. C. Cameron, 2007, J. Phys D: Appl. Phys., 40, 3461-3467.
- ‘Frequency-response of the accumulation channel in organic MISFETs’, D. M. Taylor, D. Ll. John and J. A. Drysdale, 2007, Proc MRS Symposium O, paper no. 1003-O05-07
- ‘High-k dielectrics for organic MISFETs’, J. Lancaster, D. M. Taylor and H. L. Gomes, 2007, Proc MRS Symposium O, paper no. 1003-O06-44.
- 'Effect of nanocrystalline-TiO2 morphology on the performance of polymer heterojunction solar cells,' H Al-Dmour, D. M. Taylor and J. A. Cambridge' 2007, J. Phys D: Appl. Phys., 40, 5034-5038.
- Excimer-laser micropatterned photobleaching as a means of isolating polymer electronic devices', E. Itoh, I. Torres, C. Hayden and D. M. Taylor, 2006, Synth Metals,156, 752-756.
- ‘Encapsulation of the heteroepitaxial growth of wide band gap gamma-CuCl on silicon substrates’, F. O. Lucas, L. O’Reilly, G. Natarajan, P. J. McNally, S. Daniels, D. M. Taylor, S. William, D. C. Cameron, A. L. Bradley and A. Miltra, 2006, J. Crystal Growth, 287, 112-117.
- ‘Observations on the memory effect in diodes fabricated from carbon-bridged dithiophenes’, D. M. Taylor and S. William, 2006, Synth Metals, 156, 752-756.
- 'Space Charges and Traps in Polymer Electronics', D. M. Taylor, 2006, IEEE Trans Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 13, 1063-1073. (invited review).
- ‘Photogenerated Minority Carrier Trapping and Inversion Layer Formation in Polymer Field-Effect Structures’, O. Fernández, D. M. Taylor, J. A. Drysdale and D. M. Ellis, 2006, IEEE Trans Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 13, 1093-1100. (invited contribution).
- ‘Electron trapping and inversion layer formation in photoexcited metal-insulator-poly(3-hexylthiophene) capacitors’, D. M. Taylor, J. A. Drysdale, I. Torres and O. Fernández, 2006, Appl. Phys Lett, 89, 183512 (3 pages).
- 'Charge exchange at the semiconductor-insulator interface in polymer field effect transistors', E. Itoh, I. Torres and D. M. Taylor, 2005, Jap J Appl Phys, 44, 641-647.
- 'Thermal instability of electromechanical films of cellular polypropylene', D. M. Taylor and O. Fernández, 2005, IEEE Trans DEI, 12, 768-778 (invited paper).
- 'Excimer-laser micropatterned photobleaching as a means of isolating polymer electronic devices', E. Itoh, I. Torres, C. Hayden and D. M. Taylor, 2005, Synth Metal,156, 129-134.
- 'Interface states in polymer metal-insulator-semiconductor devices', I. Torres and D. M. Taylor, 2005, J. Appl. Phys., 98, Art. No. 073710.
- 'Interfaces in polymer electronics', D. M. Taylor, I. Torres, D. Morris and E. Itoh, 2005, Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Electrical Insulating Materials (ISEIM), Kitakyushu, Japan.
- 'Admittance spectroscopy of interface states in polymer MIS devices', D. M. Taylor, I. Torres and J. Drysdale, 2005, Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Electrets (ISE12) 4pp.
- 'Scanning Kelvin Probe Microscopy of Electrode-Semiconducting Polymer Interfaces' , D. M. Taylor, F. G. Martinez, J. A. Cambridge, D. Morris, M. Waraich and G. Faria, 2005, Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Electrets (ISE12) 4pp.
- 'Encapsulation of the heteroexpitaxial growth of wide band g-CuCl on silicon substrates', F. O. Lucas, L. O'Reilly, G. Natarjan, P. J. McNally, S. Daniels, D. M. Taylor and S. William, Proc 3rd Int. Conf. on Materials for Advanced Technologies (ICMAT 2005), Singapore.
- 'Interface States and Depletion-induced Threshold Voltage Instability in Organic Metal-Insulator-Semiconductor Structures', I Torres, D M Taylor and E Itoh, 2004, Appl Phys Lett, 85, 314-316.
- 'Time Evolution of the Electric Field at Electrode Interfaces with Conducting Polymers', D M Taylor, D Morris and J A Cambridge, 2004, Appl Phys Lett, 85, 5266-5268.
- 'Effect of Temperature on Electroactive Films of Cellular Polypropylene', O. Fernández and D. M. Taylor, Proc IEEE 8th Conf on Solid Dielectrics, Toulouse 2004, pp784-787.
- ‘Characterization of the thermal instability of piezoelectric cellular polypropylene films’, O. Fernández and D.M Taylor, Proc IEEE 2004 Conf on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena (in press).
- ‘An electronic tongue using polypyrrole and polyaniline’, A Riul, A M G Soto, S V Mello, S Bone, D M Taylor, L H C Mattoso, 2003, Synth Metals, 132, 109-116.
- ‘Artificial taste sensor: Efficient combination of sensors made from Langmuir Blodgett films of conducting polymers and a ruthenium complex and self assembled films of an azobenzene-containing polymer’, A Riul Jr, D S Dos Santos Jr, K Wohnrath, R Tommazo, ACPLF Carvalho, F J Fonseca, O N Oliveira Jr, D M Taylor and L H C Mattoso, 2002, Langmuir, 18, 239-245.
- ‘Effect of space-charge at the conjugated polymer/electrode interface’, C A Mills, D M Taylor, A Riul Jr and A P Lee, 2002, J Appl Phys, 91, 5182-9.
- “Memory effect in the current-voltage characteristic of a low band gap conjugated polymer”, D.M. Taylor and C.A. Mills, 2001, J Appl Phys, 90, 306-309.
- “Measuring techniques for electrostatics”, D.M. Taylor, 2001, J Electrostatics, 51-52, 502-508.
- "The electrical characteristics of a heterojunction diode formed from an aniline oligomer LB-deposited onto poly(3-methylthiophene)", A Riul Jr,CA Mills and DM Taylor, 2000, J Materials Chem., 10, 91-7.
- "The preparation and characterisation of polymeric macrostructures (command surfaces) using electropolymerisation", CA Mills, D Lacey, G Stevenson and DM Taylor, 2000, J Materials Chem., 10, 1551-4.
- "Langmuir and Langmuir-Blodgett (LB) films of 4-dicyanomthylene, 4H-cyclopenta [2,1-b,3,4-b']dithiophene", A Riul Jr, DM Taylor, CA Mills and PJ Murphy, 2000, Thin Solid Films, 366, 249-54.
- "Developments in the theoretical modelling and experimental measurement of the surface potential of condensed monolayers", DM Taylor, 2000, Advances in Colloid and Interface Sci, 87, 183-203. (Invited paper published in a special issue to celebrate the 60th birthday of Dr Dietmar Möbius, Max Planck Institute for Biophysics, Göttingen).
- "Molecular Orientation in Langmuir Monolayers Containing the [M(dmit)2]n- Anion Determined from Surface Pressure and Surface Potential Isotherms", AV Hughes, DM Taylor and AE Underhill, 1999, Langmuir, 15, 2477-2483.
- "The Surface Potential of Langmuir Monolayers", DM Taylor and GF Bayes, 1999, Materials Science and Engineering C, 8-9, 65-71 (invited).
- "Photocurrents in P3MeT Schottky Barrier Diodes", GW Jones, DM Taylor and HL Gomes, 1999, Synth Metals, 101, 431-432.
- "Electrical Study of Impurity States in Conjugated Polymers", P Stallinga, HL Gomes, GW Jones and DM Taylor, 1999, Synth Metals, 101, 496-497.
- "Investigations into a Low Bandgap Semiconducting Polymer", CA Mills, DM Taylor, PJ Murphy, C Dalton, GW Jones, LM Hall and AV Hughes, 1999, Synth Metals, 102, 1000-1001.
- "Determination of deep and shallow levels in conjugated polymers by electrical methods", P Stallinga. HL Gomes, H Rost, AB Holmes, MG Harrison, RH Friend, F Biscarini, C Taliani, GW Jones and DM Taylor, 1999, Physica B, 273-274, 923-6.
- "Electrical study of impurity states in conjugated polymers", P Stallinga, HL Gomes, GW Jones and DM Taylor, 1999, Synthetic Metals, 101, 496-7.
- "Measuring static charges by scanning probe microscopy", DM Taylor and PWC Sayers, Electrostatics 1999., IoP Conf. Series, 163, 377-380.
- "Spectrochemical and Electrical Characterisation of Low Bandgap Polymers", R. Beyer, M Kalaji, G Kingscote-Burton, PJ Murphy, VMSC Pereira, D M Taylor and GO Williams, 1998, Synth Metals, 92, 25-31.
- "Ultrathin aluminosilicate films from Langmuir-Blodgett multilayers", CM Jones, M Kalaji, JA Rees and DM Taylor, 1998, Langmuir, 14, 379-387.
- "Molecular Nanostructures and their Electrical Probing", DM Taylor, 1998, Thin Solid Films, 331, 1-7 (invited).
- "Electrical Characterisation of Semiconducting Polymers", HL Gomes, P Stallinga and DM Taylor, 1998, Acta Physica Polonica, A94, 545-8.
- "Influence of fabrication conditions on the electrical behaviour of polymer Schottky diodes", HL Gomes, GW Jones and DM Taylor, 1997, Synthetic Metals, 85, 1351-1352.
- "Synthesis and characterisation of low bandgap polymers", SR Gunatunga, GW Jones, M Kalaji, PJ Murphy, DM Taylor and GO Williams, 1997, Synthetic Metals, 84, 973-974.
- "DLTS investigation of acceptor states in P3MeT Schottky barrier diodes", GW Jones, DM Taylor and HL Gomes, 1997, Synthetic Metals, 85, 1341-1342.
- "Schottky barriers to semiconducting polymers", DM Taylor and HL Gomes, 1997, IEE Proc - Circuits Devices Syst, 144, 117 - 122.
- "LB films of cyclic polysiloxanes from subphases containing aluminium", CM Jones, M Kalaji, JA Rees, DM Taylor, T Richardson and D Lacey, 1997, Supramolecular Sci, 4, 335-339.
- "The spreading characteristics of Langmuir monolayers of semiamphiphilic salts containing the bis(4,5-dimercapto-1,3-dithiole-2-thionato)metallate anion", AV Hughes, JA Rees, DM Taylor and AE Underhill, 1997, Supramolecular Sci, 4, 309-321.
- "Improvements of the spreading characteristics of monolayers of didocyldimethylammonium-Ni(dmit)2, didodecyldimethylammonium-Ni(MNT)2 and n-octadecylpyridinium-Ni(dmit)2 at the air/water interface", P. Dynarowicz-Latka, DM Taylor, AS Dhindsa and AE Underhill, 1997, Bull. Polish Acad. Sci – Chemistry, 45, 459-466.
- "Polymorphism of some alkoxysilanes", A Jaich, T Mayer, P Dynarowicz and D M Taylor, 1997, Bull. Polish Acad. Sci – Chemistry, 45, 285-294.
- "Characterization of monolayers and LB multilayers of dioctadecyldimethylammonium chloride", DM Taylor, Y Dong and CC Jones, 1996, Thin Solid Films, 284-285, 130-133.
- "Determining the relative permittivity and thickness of a lossless dielectric overlayer on a metal film using optically excited surface plasmon polaritons, J Phelps and DM Taylor, 1996, J Phys D: Appl Phys, 29, 1080-1087.
- "Voltage gating of porins channels in lipid bilayers", CM Jones and DM Taylor, 1996, Thin Solid Films, 284-285, 748-751.
- "Characterization of monolayers and LB films of octadecyltrialkoxysilanes", DM Taylor, SK Gupta and P Dynarowicz, 1996, Thin Solid Films, 284-285, 80-84.
- "Characterisation of LB multilayers and ABABA alternate layer superlattices incorporating iridium alkoxystilbazoles", MB Greenwood, T Richardson, DW Bruce, DMTaylor, D Lacey and J Yarwood, 1996, Thin Solid Films, 284-285, 46-48.
- "Schottky barriers to semiconducting polymers", DM Taylor and HL Gomes, 1997, IEE Proc-Circuits Devices Syst, 144, 117 - 122.
- "The specific adsorption of streptavidin to a tetrabiotinylated porphyrin monolayer at the air-water interface", H Fukushima, DM Taylor, H Morgan, H Ringsdorf and E Rump, 1995, Thin Solid Films, 266, 289-291.
- "Synthesis and monolayer behaviour of a tetrabiotinylated porphyrin ligand", H Fukushima, D M Taylor and H Morgan, 1995, Langmuir, 11, 3523-3528.
- "Towards the self-assembly of a molecular scale neural network", D M Taylor, H Fukushima and H Morgan, 1995, Supramolecular Science, 2, 75-87 (invited paper).
- "Investigation of Acceptor States in Poly(3-methylthiophene)", D.M.Taylor and H.L.Gomes, 1995, Annual Report, CEIDP, IEEE Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Society, 642-645.
- "Electrical characterisation of the rectifying contact between aluminium and electrodeposited poly(3-methylthiophene), DM Taylor and HL Gomes, 1995, J Phys D: Appl Phys, 28, 2554-2568.
- "Formation and Electrical Characterisation of Langmuir-Blodgett Films of Metal-(dmit)2 Charge Transfer Salts", D.M.Taylor, S.K.Gupta, A.E.Underhill and A.S.Dhindsa, 1994, Thin Solid Films, 243, 530-535.
- "Polymerisation of Avidin and Streptavidin with Aromatic Bisbiotin Ligands", H.Morgan, H.Fukushima and D.M.Taylor, 1994, J.Poly. Sci. Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 32, 1331-1340.
- "On the Preparation of Thin Metal Oxide Films By LB Deposition", D.M.Taylor and J.N.Lambi, 1994, Thin Solid Films, 243, 384-388.
- "Self Assembly of Avidin and Streptavidin with Multifunctional Biotin Molecules", H.Fukushima, H.Morgan and D.M.Taylor, 1994, Thin Solid Films, 244, 789-793.
- "Calculating the Surface Potential of Unionized Monolayers", D.M.Taylor and G.F.Bayes, 1994, Phys Rev. E, 49, 1439-14449.
- "3-D Images from Surface Plasmon Resonance Micrographs", H.Morgan and D.M.Taylor, 1994, Appl.Phys Letters, 64, 1330-1331.
- "Monolayer Behaviour of Monovalent and Divalent Salts of Long-chain Alkylammonium [Ni(dmit)2] and Alkylammonium [Ni(mnt)2]", S.K.Gupta, D.M.Taylor, A.E.Underhill and C.E.A.Wainwright, 1993, Synth.Metals, 58, 373-382.
- "Electrical Conduction in LB Films formed from the Divalent Salt Didodecyldimethyl ammonium Pt(dmit)2", S.K.Gupta, D.M.Taylor and A.E.Underhill, 1993, J.Phys.D: Appl.Phys., 26, 1731-1735.
- "Self-Assembly of Streptavidin/Bisbiotin Monolayers and Multilayers", H.Morgan, D.M.Taylor, H.Fukushima and C.D'Silva, 1993, Mol.Cryst.Liq.Cryst., 235, 121-6.
- "Frequency-dependent Admittances of Schottky Barriers at the Aluminium-Poly(3-methylthiophene) Interface", H.L.Gomes and D.M.Taylor, 1993, Mol.Cryst.Liq. Cryst., 236, 151-156.
- "Charge Transport in Poly(3-methylthiophene) Schottky Barrier Diodes", H.L.Gomes, D.M.Taylor and A.E.Underhill, 1993, Synth.Metals, 55-57, 4076-4081.
- "Self-assembly of Streptavidin/Bisbiotin Monolayers and Multilayers", H.Morgan, D.M.Taylor, C.D'Silva and H.Fukushima, 1992, Thin Solid Films, 210/211, 773 - 5.
- "Modelling the Surface Potential - Area Dependence of a Stearic Acid Monolayer", O.N.Oliveira Jr., D.M.Taylor and H.Morgan, 1992, Thin Solid Films, 210/211, 76-8.
- "Monolayer Characterisation and Multilayer Deposition of Conducting LB Films", D.M.Taylor, S.K.Gupta, A.E.Underhill and C.E.Wainwright, 1992, Thin Solid Films, 210/211, 287-9.
- "A Surface Plasmon Resonance Immunosensor based on the Streptavidin-biotin Complex", H.Morgan and D.M.Taylor, 1992, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 7, 405-410.
- "Surface Potential Studies of Langmuir Monolayers and LB-deposited Films of p-tolyl-SO-(CH2)11-S-(CH2)10-COOH", O.N.Oliveira Jr, D.M.Taylor, C.J.M.Stirling, S.Tripathi and B.Z.Guo, 1992, Langmuir, 8, 1619-26.
- "Behaviour of Pure Divalent Bis(tetraalkylammonium) Bis(4,5-dimercapto-1,3-dithiole-thionato)metalate Complexes at the Air-water Interface", S.K.Gupta, D.M.Taylor, P. Dynarowicz, E.Barlow, C.E.A.Wainwright and A.E.Underhill, 1992, Langmuir, 8, 3057-3062.
- "Proton Transport at the Monolayer Water Interface", H.Morgan, D.M.Taylor and O.N.Oliveira Jr, 1991, Biochem.Biophys.Acta, 1062, 149-56.
- "Effect of 2-dimensional Ordering on Photoreactions of Long-chain Unsaturated Carboxylic-acids", B.Z.Guo, S.Tripathi, D.M.Taylor and C.J.M.Stirling, 1991, J.Chem. Soc,Chem.Comms., 91, 479-81.
- "Behaviour of Avidin and Avidin/Bisbiotin Polymers at the Air/water Interface", D.M.Taylor, H.Morgan and C.D'Silva, 1991, J.Coll.Interface Sci., 144, 53-62.
- "Electric Fields and Potentials in the Vicinity of Electrostatically Charged Sheet Product Suspended between Two Earthed Boundaries", R.M.Nickell and D.M.Taylor, 1991, J.Electrostatics, 26, 235-43.
- "Characterisation of Chemisorbed Monolayers by Surface Potential Measurements", D.M.Taylor, H.Morgan and C.D'Silva, 1991, J.Phys D:Appl.Phys., 24, 1443-1450.
- "Effect of Oxygen on the Electrical Characteristics of Field Effect Transistors Formed from Electrochemically Deposited Films of Poly(3-Methylthiophene)", D.M.Taylor, H.Gomes, A.E.Underhill, S.Edge and P.I.Clemenson, 1991, J.Phys D: Appl.Phys., 24, 2032-38.
- "Surface Plasmon Resonance Studies of Chemisorbed Biotin-Streptavidin Multilayers", H.Morgan, D.M.Taylor and C.D'Silva, 1991, Thin Solid Films, 209, 122-126.
- "Assembling Networks for Molecular Electronics", D.M.Taylor, H.Morgan and C.D'Silva, 1991, Makromol. Chem., Macromol. Symp., 46, 1-8.
- "Conducting LB Films Based on Metal Complexes of Sulphur Donor Ligands", D.M. Taylor, A.E.Underhill, S.K.Gupta and C.E.Wainwright, 1991, Makromol. Chem., Macromol.Symp., 46, 199-203.
- "Models for Interpreting Surface Potential Measurements and their Application to Phospholipid Monolayers", D.M.Taylor, O.N.Oliveira Jr. and H.Morgan, 1990, J.Coll. Interf.Sci., 139, 508-518.
- "Filmes Langmuir-Blodgett", O.N.Oliveira Jr. and D.M.Taylor, 1990, Ciencia Hoje (Brazil), 12, 18-23.
- "Estimation of Group Dipole Moments from Surface Potential Measurements on Langmuir Monolayers", O.N.Oliveira Jr., D.M.Taylor, T.J.Lewis, S.Salvagno and C.J.M. Stirling, 1989, J.Chem. Soc., Faraday Trans.I, 85, 1009-18.
- "Effect of Water Quality on the Electrical Characteristics of Langmuir Monolayers", D.M. Taylor, O.N.Oliveira Jr. and H.Morgan, 1989, Thin Solid Films, 173, L141-7.
- "Lateral Conduction at a Monolayer-Water Interface", H.Morgan, D.M.Taylor and O.N. Oliveira Jr., 1989, Thin Solid Films,178, 73-9.
- "Characterisation of Langmuir Monolayers and LB Deposited Multilayers of w-Functionalised Sulphide Acids", D.M.Taylor, O.N.Oliveira Jr., C.J.M. Stirling, B.Z.Guo and S. Tripathi, 1989, Thin Solid Films, 178, 27-35.
- "Surface Potential of Monolayers Formed on Weak Acidic Electrolytes", D.M.Taylor, O.N.Oliveira Jr. and H.Morgan, 1989, Chem.Phys.Lett., 161, 147-150.
- "Chiral Sulphur-Containing Molecules in LB Films",C.Georges, T.J.Lewis, J.P. Llewellyn, S. Salvagno, D.M.Taylor, C.J.M.Stirling and V.Vogel, 1988, J.Chem.Soc.,Faraday Trans.I, 84, 1531-42.
- "Two-Dimensional Proton Conduction at a Membrane Surface: Influence of Molecular Packing and Hydrogen-Bonding", H.Morgan, D.M.Taylor and O.N.Oliveira Jr., 1988, Chem. Phys. Lett., 150, 311-5.
- "An Instrument for Measuring Static Dissipation from Materials", D.M.Taylor, D.R.Owen and J.Elias, 1987, J. Electrostatics, 19, 53-64.
- "Electrochemical Characteristics of Platinum Electrodes Coated with Cytochrome b5 Phospholipid Monlayers", B.N. Zaba, M.C.Wilkinson, D.M.Taylor, T.J. Lewis and D.L. Laidman, 1987, FEBS Lett., 213, 49-54.
- "A Versatile Charge Decay Meter for Assessing Antistatic Materials", D.M. Taylor and J. Elias, IOP Conf. SER. No.85, (1987), 177-81.
- "AC Admittance and Electrochemical Studies of Thin Insulating Films on Metal Electrodes Immersed in Electrolyte Solutions", D.M.Taylor, A.G.Macdonald and A.E. Solway, 1987, Ann.Rept.CEIDP, IEEE Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Soc., 146-51.
- "AC Admittance of the Metal/Insulator/Electrolyte Interface", D.M.Taylor and A.G. Macdonald, 1987, J.Phys. D:Appl. Phys, 20, 1277-83.
- "A Monolayer Study on Cytochrome b5 - Phospholipid Interactions", M.C.Wilkinson, B.N.Zaba, D.M.Taylor, D.L.Laidman and T.J.Lewis, 1986, Biochem.Biophys.Acta, 857, 189-97.
- "Measuring the Electrical Properties of Thin Insulating Films in Contact with Electrolyte Solutions", D.M. Taylor and A.G. Macdonald, 1986, Ann. Rept. CEIDP, IEEE Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Soc., 81-6.
- "The Formation and Langmuir-Blodgett Deposition of Monolayers of Novel Photo-chromic Azobenzene-containing Phospholipid Molecules", S.S.Sandhu, Y.P.Yianni, C.G. Morgan, D.M.Taylor and B.N.Zaba, 1986, Biochim.Biophys.Acta, 860, 253-62.
- "Surface Potential Profiling of HV Devices Using Scanning Auger Microscopy", D.M. Taylor, D.W. Tong and W.R. van Dell, 1985, J.Electrochem.Soc., 132, 202-6.
- "Excitons or Space-charge-perturbed Fields in Irradiated Si02", D.M.Taylor and Q.H. Mehdi, 1985, J.Phys.D:Appl. Phys., 18, 2073-9.
- "Langmuir Films Composed of Sulphur-containing Molecules", T.J.Lewis, D.M.Taylor, J.P.Llewellyn, S.Salvagno and C.J.M.Stirling, 1985, Thin Solid Films, 133, 243-52.
- "Geminate Recombination in Electron-Beam-Excited Si02 Thin Films", D.M. Taylor and A.A. Al-Jassar, 1984, J.Phys. D:Appl. Phys., 17, 819-25.
- "Effect of HCl on the Electrical Properties of SiO2, R.S. Mand and D.M. Taylor, 1984, J.Phys. D:Appl. Phys., 17, 839-45.
- "Investigation of Space-Charges in Si02 Films using a Pulsed Electron-Beam", D.M. Taylor and A.A. Al-Jassar, 1984, J.Phys. D:Appl. Phys., 17, 1493-1509.
- "Density of States at the Interface between Semi-Insulating Polycrystalline and Single Crystal Silicon", D.M.Taylor and D.W.Tong, 1984, J. Appl. Phys., 56, 1881-3.
- "Steady State Conduction in Synthetic Phospholipid Langmuir-Blodgett Films", D.M. Taylor and M.G.B. Mahboubian-Jones, 1983, Thin Solid Films, 99, 149-56.
- "Langmuir-Blodgett Films in Dielectric and Biological Research",D.M. Taylor and M.G.B. Mahboubian-Jones, 1983, Ann. Rpt. CEIDP, IEEE Insulation Soc., 408-14
- "Radiation Induced Conductivity in Si02 Thin Films", D.M. Taylor and A.A. Al-Jassar, 1983, Radiation Phys. and Chem., 6, 1057-9.
- "Electrical Properties of Thin Biological Films Grown by the Langmuir-Blodgett Technique", M.G.B. Mahboubian-Jones and D.M. Taylor, 1982, J. Electrostatics, 13, 1-8. (Invited Paper).
- "The Electrical Properties of Synthetic Phospholipid Langmuir-Blodgett Films", D.M. Taylor and M.G.B. Mahboubian-Jones, 1982, Thin Solid Films, 87, 167-79.
- "Dynamics of Space-charge Accumulation in Irradiated MOS Capacitors", D.M. Taylor and T.P.T. Williams, 1982, J.Phys.D:Appl. Phys., 15, 2483-93.
- "Electron-beam-induced Conductivity and Related Processes in Insulating Films", D.M.Taylor, 1981, IEE Proc., 128A, 174-82. (Invited Review).
- "Charge Transport in Thin Biological Films Grown by the Langmuir-Blodgett Technique", D.M. Taylor and M.G.B. Mahboubian-Jones, 1981, Ann. Rpt. CEIDP, IEEE Insulation Soc., 65-70.
- "Electron Transport Studies in Si02 Films Excited by a Pulsed Electron-Beam", D.M. Taylor and A.A. Al-Jassar, 1981, J.Phys.D:Appl. Phys., 14, 1531-44.
- "Electrical Conduction in Liquid and Solid Octadecane", I.E. Noble and D.M. Taylor, 1980, J.Phys. D:Appl. Phys., 13, 2115-21.
- "Electrical Conduction in n-Octadecane Crystals", D.M. Taylor and I.E. Noble, 1980, J.Phys.D:Appl. Phys., 13, 2123-33.
- "Electron-beam-induced Conductivity in Thin Insulating Films", D.M. Taylor, 1979, Radiation Phys. and Chem., 13, 209-21. (Invited Review).
- "Electron-beam Investigation of Si02", D.M. Taylor, 1979, IEE Conf. Public, No. 177, 346-50.
- "Electron-beam-induced Conductivity in Si02 Thin Films", D.M. Taylor and Q.H.Mehdi, 1979, J.Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 12, 2253-62.
- "Decay of Charge in the Presence of a Time-Dependent Bulk Conductivity", D.M. Taylor and T.P.T. Williams, 1978, J.Phys. C:Solid State Phys., 11, 111-7.
- "Investigation of Charges Injected into Polystyrene During Extrusion", D.M.Taylor, 1978, J.Electrostatics, 4, 291-301.
- "The Effect of Passivation on the Observation of Voltage Contrast in the Scanning Electron Microscope", D.M. Taylor, 1978, J.Phys D:Appl. Phys., 11, 2443-54.
- "Electron-beam induced Conduction in Polyethylene and Polyethylene Terephthalate Films", L.M. Beckley, T.J. Lewis and D.M. Taylor, 1976, J. Phys. D:Appl. Phys., 9, 1355-65.
- "Mobility Studies in Liquid n-Octadecane", D.M. Taylor and I.E. Noble, 1976, Ann. Rpt. CEIDP, Nat. Acad.Sci., Washington, 167-74.
- "Electron-beam Charging of Polyethylene Terephthalate Films", D.M. Taylor, 1976, J.Phys.D:Appl.Phys., 9, 2269-79.
- "The Electrical Conductivity of n-Octadecane", D.M.Taylor, 1975, IEE Conf. Public. No. 129, 385, 9.
- "Outlet Effects in the Measurement of Streaming Currents", D.M.Taylor, 1974, J.Phys.D:Appl. Phys., 7, 394-402.
- "The Electrokinetic Charging of Polymers during Capillary Extrusion", D.M. Taylor, T.J. Lewis and T.P.T. Williams, 1974, J.Phys.D:Appl. Phys., 7, 1756-72.
- "Electrification of Polymers during Extrusion", D.M. Taylor and T.J. Lewis, Proc. Int. Conf. on Static Electricity, Electrostatische Aufladung, 1974, Dechema Monograph, 72, 125-36.
- "Electrification of Polymers during Extrusion", D.M. Taylor and T.J. Lewis, 1973, Ann. Rpt. CEIDP, Nat. Acad. Sci., Washington.
- "Electrical Conduction in Iodine-doped Polyethylene", T.J. Lewis and D.M. Taylor, 1972, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 5,1664-70.
- "Anomalous Induced Transient Conduction in Polyethylene Terephthalate Films", L.M. Beckley, T.J. Lewis and D.M. Taylor, 1972, Solid State Comms., 10, 557-62.
- "Electrical Conduction in Polyethylene and Polyethylene Terephthalate Films", D.M. Taylor and T.J. Lewis, 1971, J.Phys.D: Appl. Phys, 4, 1346-57.
- "High-field Gunn Domains in Iodine-Doped Polyethylene", M.G. Jones, T.J. Lewis and D.M. Taylor, 1971, Ann. Rpt. CEIDP, Nat. Acad. Sci., Washington.
- British Patent No 8,817,067, 18th July 1988, 'Controlled Output Ion Generator'.
- US Patent No 4,968,238, 6th November 1990, 'Process and Apparatus for Making a Non-woven Sheet'.
- US Patent No 5,045,248, 3rd September 1991, 'Process for Making a Non-woven Sheet'.
- ‘Sensor à Base de Plásticos Condutores e Lipídos para Avaliação de Paladar Bebidas’, 2001 Patent granted in Brazil. Patent awarded the Premium of the Governor of the State of São Paulo for the most innovative patent in its category. International Patent applied for (PCT/BR/00028).
Thin film transistors from novel semiconducting materials
Supported by sKTP and KTP funding, we are working with SmartKem Ltd, a North Wales based SME, testing a range of novel, solution-processable organic materials for applications in organic electronic circuits. In January 2014, the TSB announced that the KTP project which ended in November 2013 was awarded the highest grade of ‘Outstanding’.
Design and testing of organic electronic circuits
A Flagship Grant from the Innovative electronic-Manufacturing Research Centre (IeMRC), Loughborough, is funding the continuation of a collaboration with Oxford, Manchester and Leeds Universities initially funded with a TSB grant. The project is concerned with developing a vacuum-evaporation approach to the manufacture of organic electronic circuits. Process development is well-advanced with transistors and functional circuits such as inverters, ring oscillators, NAND/NOR logic gates all being produced reproducibly and with high yield. The work is supported by a number of industrial companies and SMEs. The project has made such excellent progress that a proposal submitted into a competitive round in late 2013 for extension funding was successful.
Photo-induced capacitance changes in organic MIS devices
When MIS capacitors are biased into depletion and exposed to photons whose energy exceeds the semiconductor bandgap, significant changes in threshold voltage are observed as a result of charge trapping in the insulator or in interface states. This effect leads to large changes in sub-threshold currents in organic TFTs and form the basis of optical sensors. The work is supported by EPSRC and Merck. The effect has been extended to demonstrate an organic version of the charge injection device, a forerunner of the CCD.
Organic memory devices
We have already demonstrated the possibility of developing organic flash memory. This was achieved by incorporating an electrically-isolated, buried metal electrode in the gate insulator of an MIS capacitor. The resulting hysteresis in the C-V characteristics indicate that an electrically programmable organic TFT is a feasible proposition.
In a second project in collaboration with the Physics Department at Potsdam University (Prof Raymund Gerhard, Dr Peter Frübing and Rene Kalbitz) we have fabricating and tested Organic Ferro-FETs where the ‘memory’ is produced by a reversible polarisation of the ferroelectric material used as the gate insulator.
We have also collaborated with Algarve University (Professor Henrique Gomes) and Dr Dago de Leeuw, Max-Planck Institute, Mainz (formerly Philips Research Laboratories) on the interpretation of switching effects in organic resistive RAMs.
Small-signal measurements on organic MIS capacitors
AC measurements made over a wide frequency range has led to the development of an equivalent circuit description of these devices which can be used to extract information about the quality of the semiconductor and insulator layers as well as the interface between the two layers. In particular we have used the technique to extract the density of states for interface hole traps.