Why study with us?
Why Study English Literature or Creative Writing at Bangor?
There are many fantastic reasons for choosing to study English Literature and/or Creative Writing at Bangor.
- Students rate our teaching extremely highly. The 2017 National Student Survey (NSS) put us 1st in the UK again! Our English Literature BA has scored a fantastic 100% for overall student satisfaction for the third year running (NSS 2015, 2016 and 2017).
- At undergraduate and postgraduate level, we offer a broad and flexible range of module choices, combining the innovative (e.g. The Literature of Laughter, Transformative Writing and The Gothic in Literature and Film) with the more traditional (e.g. Victorian Literature and Jonson to Johnson)
- Our teaching is based on the latest research. The world-class quality of our research and writing was recognised in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014) placing our School in the UK Top 10 for research intensity.
- With award-winning pastoral care, one-to-one support and individualised feedback, we get to know our students as individuals and enable them to pursue their own creative interests.
- Employability. We provide our students with transferrable skills that are valued by employers. 85% of our graduates were in employment or further study within six months of finishing the course (source: DLHE). Our graduates have gone on to have wide-ranging and successful careers in many sectors, including the performing arts, education, law, the civil service, press, media and public relations.
- Arts and Culture. Our close links with Pontio (the University’s £40 million Arts Centre), local theatres, poetry groups and vibrant student societies - including our Bangor English Drama Society (BEDS) - give students plenty of opportunities to get involved.
- Bangor is an inspiring location for creative writing or literary study, situated on the Menai Straits at the foot of Snowdon, and less than three hours by direct train from London!
- Read what our students say.
Studying at Bangor
Rated Gold for teaching
We have been awarded a Gold rating, the highest rating possible, for the standarad of our teaching in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) assessment. The TEF assessment took into account teaching quality, learning environment and student outcomes and learning gain. We were judged to deliver consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for our students and our teaching is of the highest quality found in the UK.
A top 10 university
The National Student Survey (NSS) results place Bangor amongst the UK’s top 10 universities (excluding specialist institutions) for student satisfaction. This reflects the University’s focus on overall student experience.
Enjoy a university experience that’s amongst the best in the UK
Take advantage of the Bangor Student Experience (ranked in the top 20 in the Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2017) with free membership of student clubs and societies, a new international experience programme and employability award scheme.
Award-winning clubs and societies!
Our clubs and societies have been named the best in the UK at the WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2018.
Choose to study in one of the best places in the UK to be a student. Bangor’s location – close to the mountains and the sea - has been described as ‘the best university setting in the UK’.
Investment in facilities
Benefit from continued investment in facilities and services – with an exciting new Arts and Innovation Centre, new Halls of Residence, and improved sports facilities amongst recent developments.
Guaranteed accommodation in award-wining halls of residence
We guarantee accommodation for first year students who apply within the deadline and hold Bangor as their Frm Choice. Our accommodation has been named the best in the UK at the 2018 WhatUni Student Choice Awards.