Advanced Clinical Practice MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Name: Advanced Clinical Practice
- Qualification: MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Duration: MSc: 3 years part-time.
Please note: Only professionals registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) or Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC) in the UK may be admitted onto this course.
This course aims to extend your scientific and professional knowledge in order to provide the skills needed to synthesise literature and research findings applicable to your own discipline.
This MSc programme has been developed in collaboration with professional health and social care organisations in the UK. The programme has been designed for health professionals who wish to study at an advanced level to increase their knowledge, skills and attributes so that they can contribute to modern day health and social care challenges. The modernisation of the NHS and the extended role of the professional requires the professional to be a flexible, competent professional practitioner who is able to use complex decision making skills and has a wide knowledge base.
The programme has been developed to enhance the professional knowledge of physiological and pathophysiological processes which, together with social and psychological phenomena, underlie health and disease.
To develop autonomous postgraduates with advanced professional knowledge and skills, who will have a vital role in the new NHS and other organisations both in the UK and internationally.
- To acquire the level of knowledge and skills which gives confidence and enhances the individual’s ability to become a dynamic and creative innovator, change agent and leader.
- To further develop the cognitive skills and intellectual pursuits which postgraduate level work is designed to enhance such as critical analysis, synthesis, evaluation of professional issues and practice.
- To develop skills in creative thinking and reappraisal of opinions and values related to their profession.
- To provide opportunities for professionals to develop their own knowledge and skills in relation to their practice.
- To foster critical understanding of political, philosophical and socio-economic issues in the UK and internationally.
- To empower practitioners to participate as equal team members in multi-professional organisations.
- To develop leadership qualities and clear accountability for services and partnerships at all levels.
- To encourage the dissemination of ‘best practice’ in professional roles and support innovation in participating practices.
- To develop research knowledge and skills to enable practitioners to critically appraise health and social care research, and conduct small scale research studies relevant to their own professional practice.
Intended programme outcomes
The programme draws upon relevant contemporary policy and academic research, applied to the UK and internationally.
The programme outcomes are a statement of what graduates should know and be able to do on completion of the programme.
This specification provides a concise summary of the main features of the programme and the learning outcomes that a typical student might reasonably be expected to achieve and demonstrate if s/he takes full advantage of the learning opportunities provided.
The Programme provides opportunities for students to develop:
- theoretical knowledge and understanding;
- cognitive skills and the following key transferable skills:
- information technology
- problem solving skills.
Overall, the intended outcomes are summatively assessed through assignments, in the form of essays, reports, research proposal and paper, and individual and group presentations. There are no examinations. The individual modules have varying degrees of formative assessment.
The choice of teaching methods used on the course has been influenced by the basic principle of adult learning, which is most effective if it is linked with the students’ existing experiences and demands their participation in the learning process. A variety of methods might be employed in any single teaching and learning process; it is thus intended that individual student learning styles will be accommodated.
The professional and life experiences which students bring provide a valued and valuable resource for learning; methods used will seek to capitalise on this rich resource and encourage learner participation.
Students wishing to can exit the programme after achieving either a PG Certificate or PG Diploma if they don’t wish to undertake the full MSc.
Course content is for guidance purposes only and may be subject to change.
Core modules include:
- Consultation and History Taking
- Physical Examination and Diagnostics
- Biology and Physiology
- Research Methods
- Statistics Independent Prescribing
If you wish to achieve your MSc you will need to complete successfully your research dissertation.
Modules for the current academic year
Module listings are for guide purposes only and are subject to change. Find out what our students are currently studying on the Advanced Clinical Practice Modules page.
Prospective applicants should hold an undergraduate degree in a relevant subject (of 2(ii) or above), and/or mature student status with appropriate professional qualifications.
IELTS: 7.0 (with no element below 7.0) is required.
For information and further detailed guidance on entry requirements for International Students, including the minimum English Language entry requirement, please visit the Entry Requirements by Country pages on the International Education Centre section of our website.
Ask the IEC for assistance...
If you want advice or a general chat about what’s available contact the International Education Centre on +44 (0) 1248 382028 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
Home/EU students: apply online yourself with the help of our Guidance Notes on online application for Home/EU students. We strongly recommend you read these before you start to apply online.
Once you have read the Guidance Notes you should apply using our Online Application form.
Need help applying? Home/EU students please contact:
Postgraduate Admissions: email@example.com or write to:
Telephone: +44 (0)1248 383717.
- Students: can apply though our Online Application Portal. Refer to the Guidance Notes for help filling the form.
- Agents: if you are an agent applying on behalf of the student, then you can Apply here. For further guidance click here
Need help applying? International students please contact:
International Education Office: firstname.lastname@example.org or write to
International Education Centre
Telephone: +44 (0) 1248 382028
When to apply
The University will accept applications throughout the year, but we would generally advise that you send in your application form by the end of June to ensure that you have time to make any funding and/or accommodation arrangements, and for documents such as transcripts and references to be obtained if not submitted with the application. This will also give you more time to meet any conditions we may potentially attach to an offer.
Funded opportunites may be available for some students to enter this programme. Please contact the School for further information.
Doctor in Healthcare (DHealthCare)
Doctor in Healthcare (DHealthCare) / PGDip / PGCert
Masters by Research
- Advanced Clinical Practice (AHP) MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Advanced Healthcare Practice MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Advanced HEMS Practice MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Applied Health Research MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Dementia Studies MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Leading Quality Improvement MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Midwifery Studies MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Non-surgical Aesthetic Medicine MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Public Health and Health Promotion (1 year, full-time / 2 years, part-time) MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Public Health and Health Promotion (3 years, part-time) MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Acute Medical Care PG Cert
- Acute Surgical Care PG Cert
- Contraception / Associated Health PG Cert
- Critical Care PG Cert
- Diabetes Care and Management PG Cert
- Examination of the Newborn PG Cert
- Legal and Ethical Concepts in Healthcare and Social Care PG Cert
- Mental Health PG Cert
- Optimising Breastfeeding PG Cert
- Optimising Childbirth PG Cert
- Palliative Care Practice PG Cert
- Prudent Healthcare PG Cert