Staff Profile: David Coyle
- David Coyle
- Lecturer Mental Health Nursing
- Fron Heulog
PhD, M.Ed, Cert Ed (FE)
Registered Nurse Tutor
Registered Mental Nurse
Registered Nurse for Learning Disabilities
Part of the register
Mental Learning Disabilities
Previous roles (Last 10 years)
University of Chester Senior lecturer
Summary of Clinical Experience
Home manager (05/90 - 04/94)
Staff nurse community mental health (10/89 - 05/90)
Tor College of Nursing Student nurse mental health (04/88 - 10/89
Nurse practice educator (04/87 - 04/88)
Staff nurse for people with learning disability (03/86 - 04/87)
Staff nurse for people with challenging behaviour (04/85 – 02/86)
Staff nurse (11/84 - 04/85)
Carshalton School of Nursing Student nurse learning disabilities (09/81-10/84)
Nursing assistant (01/81 -08/81
External roles/Commitee Membership
Experience of Research Ethics sub-committee.
Experience of Faculty Biological Science Research Ethics sub-committee.
Previous external examiner to the Open University centre for professional learning and development personalisation course.
Member of Mental Health Nurse Academics (UK).
Member of All Wales Senior Nurse Group (Mental Health)
External Examination/ Validation
University of Swansea (1995-1998) University of Glamorgan (1998-2002): School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Wolverhampton (2000- 2005): University or Stirling; Learning Disability DN/BSc course (2003- 2007): Ulster University BSc Nursing Mental Health (2012-2016): Plymouth BSc (Hons) Nursing, Mental Health, (2012-2016).
Florence Nightingale School of Nursing, Kings College London, BSc Clinical Skills (present- 2021).
University of Stirling, BSc Nursing Mental Health, (current- 2021).
Publications (Last 10 years)
Alakeson V., Coyle. D S., (2011). Personal Health Budgets and the Role of Nursing. Nursing Standard 25, (26), p. 35-39.
Alakeson, V. Coyle, D. (2011b) Personal Health Budgets, British Medical Journal [Blog], accessible from http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2011/10/12/vidhya-alakeson-and-david-coyle-personal-health-budgets/
Burnard P., Edwards D., Hannigan B., Cooper L., Jugessur T., Fothergill A., Coyle D. and Adams J. (2006). Clinical supervision and burnout: the effectiveness of clinical supervision for community mental health nurses. Journal of Clinical Nursing 15 (8) 1007-1015.
Coyle D., (2008). Public Mental Health in Key Concepts in Public Health Wilson F and Muballa Z (Eds) Sage London.
Coyle D., and Lunt J., (2009). Person Centred Planning in Key Concepts in Learning Disabilities Talbot P. and Asbury G., (Eds) Sage London.
Coyle D., (2011). Impact of person centred thinking and personal budgets in mental health services: reporting a UK pilot, Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 18 (9) 796-803
Coyle, D (2014). Narrative research in Nursing and Healthcare Research in McIntosh-Scott, A. Mason, T. Mason-Whitehead. E., Coyle, D. (2014) (Eds) Key Concepts in Nursing and Healthcare Research. London Sage
Coyle D (2014) Phenomenology in Nursing and Healthcare Research in McIntosh-Scott, A. Mason, T. Mason-Whitehead. E., Coyle, D. (2014) (Eds) Key Concepts in Nursing and Healthcare Research. London Sage
Coyle D (2014) Evaluation Research in Nursing and Healthcare Research in McIntosh-Scott, A. Mason, T. Mason-Whitehead. E., Coyle, D. (2014) (Eds) Key Concepts in Nursing and Healthcare Research. London Sage
Edwards D., Burnard P., Hannigan B., Cooper L., Adams J. Jugessur T., Fothergill A., Coyle D. (2006). Clinical supervision and burnout: the effectiveness of clinical supervision for community mental health nurses. Journal of Clinical Nursing 15 1007-`1015.
Lunt J., Sanderson H., Coyle D., (2007). Person Centred Thinking with people who use mental health services The Learning Community for Person Centred Practices Stockport.
McIntosh-Scott, A. Mason, T. Mason-Whitehead. E., Coyle, D. (2014) (Eds) Key Concepts in Nursing and Healthcare Research. London Sage
Mason T., Lovell A., Coyle D. (2008). Forensic psychiatric nursing: skills and competencies: I role dimensions, Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 15 (2) 118-130
Mason T., Coyle D., Lovell A. (2008). Forensic psychiatric nursing: skills and competencies: II clinical competencies, Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 15 (2) 131-139
Mason T., Worsley A., Coyle D, (2010). Forensic multidisciplinary perspective of Tarasoff liability: a vignette study The Journal of Forensic Psychiatry and Psychology 21 (4) 549-554.
Williams R W. and Coyle D., (2010). Community Learning Disability Nursing in Public Health and Community Nursing, frameworks for practice (3rd Edition) Watkins, D., Cousins, J.,(Eds).Chapter 4 Bailliere Tindall Elsevier London.
Grants and Funding (Past 10 years)
July 2011 Oct 2012
- Project: Evaluation of a pilot of personalised budgets for substance misusers. The award is of £24,700 from Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council. The evaluation examined support planning and impact of budgets on users and staff.
April 2010 June 2011
- Project: Growing Personalisation evaluating a time cost model of individual budgets and their impact on the needs of older people, people with physical impairment and learning disabilities. The project for £15,000 was commissioned by Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council.
- Awarded £3,000 (in partnership with the late Professor Tom Mason and Professor Elizabeth Whitehead Mason with RAE returns monies) to commission and co-ordinate writing for publication workshops with Professor Roger Watson for faculty staff in February 2010 and January 2011, publication within School produced.
- Awarded £5,000 from University of Chester Knowledge Transfer Office to host an International conference in spring 2010. The focus was a comparison of health and social care systems between the USA and the UK.
- Undertook a Knowledge Transfer Office funded three week study tour of USA. Data collected from service providers, researchers and service participants from 4 States. Data collated and in production for publication and thesis (£3,500).
February 2009 - September 2010
- Project: Best Brokerage: exploring brokerage and user satisfaction with Individual budgets in mental health services in the North West of England. The project for £13,000 was commissioned from Stockport Borough council and Centre for Service Improvement in Partnership (CSIP).
- Awarded Knowledge Transfer Small Grant (£3,500) from University of Chester to undertake a study tour of self-directed support in the United States of America. The tour encompassed 4 States and involved meeting administrators, researchers and users of self-directed services.
- Commenced MPhil/PhD study within Chester part time. The project is titled: On being person centred: control and belonging for people with severe and enduring mental health problems: a narrative study.
April 2008 - March 2009
- Project: Narrative research exploring personalisation in mental health NHS care. Awarded £10,000 by the Centre for Service Improvement in Partnership (CSIP). The project explored the impact of ‘individual recovery budgets’ within three early intervention teams a major conurbation the North West of England.