Rhedir gan School of Health Sciences
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr David Evans
This module is aimed at existing and aspiring leaders and managers within health, social care and other allied professions who have an interest in leading and developing services in order to better meet the needs of customers, clients, patients and other key stakeholders. The module specifically aims to support the leadership and management skills and knowledge to support the development of professional managers within NHS and Social Care Organisations, within the context of the prevailing policy and leadership frameworks.
The module includes but is not limited to the following broad themes: • Clinical/Service leadership and management • Performance management • People Management (including developing self and others) • Resource management • Quality management including managing the patient/customer experience • Service improvement and change management
Other related content • Critical evaluation of theory, research and health &related policy • Developing critical thinking and writing skills (see key skills)
B- to B+ Grade: students will demonstrate a very good knowledge and understanding of the key topics and show the ability to critically analyse issues.
D- to D+ Grade: students will demonstrate and understanding and knowledge of key areas/principles related to the module outcomes.
C- i C+
C- to C+ Grade: A good pass with students being able to demonstrate a sound knowledge and understanding and knowledge of key areas/principles related to the module outcomes. • Strong knowledge • Understands most but not all • Evidence of background study • Focussed answer with good structure • Arguments presented coherently • Mostly free of factual/computational errors • Some limited original interpretation • Well known links between topics are described • Problems addressed by existing methods/approaches • Good presentation with accurate communication
A- • Comprehensive knowledge • Detailed understanding • Extensive background study • Highly focussed answer and well structured • Logically presented and defended arguments • No factual/computational errors • Original interpretation • New links between topics are developed • New approach to a problem • Excellent presentation with very accurate communication
A systematic understanding of theory, policy and research relating to leadership within health and social care.
An appreciation of the uncertainty, ambiguity and limits of knowledge relating to leadership.
An ability to deploy accurately established leadership methods, approaches and techniques within a health and care setting.
Critically analyse and apply theory, research and health policy in order to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to effectively manage people and resources
An ability to manage their own learning, make use of scholarly reviews and primary sources, as well as applying critical analysis techniques to the evidence
|INDIVIDUAL BLOG||Health Leadership Blog||
The contribution to the online online blog will entail a minimum of 1000 words in total and will be marked by a Pass/Fail Criteria which is outlined in the Module Handbook
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Health Leadership Presentation||
The presentation will focus upon a leadership issue relevant to your own work and / or organisational context, drawing on a range of theoretical and other perspectives. The presentation should:
• Critically review the broad leadership literature (theory) and identify the key drivers that accounts for the approaches used in the specific context of your example • Identify and discuss the facilitators and barriers to leadership in organisations (such as culture and team working) • Consider which tools or approaches may, based on the evidence, support or overcome the leadership issue you are discussing • Critically appraise the literature and the application of this theory in your example.
The summative presentation requires that you deliver a presentation which will utilise learning from the application of knowledge gained from the module, and which should provide a solid foundation for your presentation.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Assessment workshop and practical classes
participation in weekly online discussion board over 10 weeks
working through on line material
Private study - 100 hours reading time and assessment preparation
Live online tutorials
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/nhs-3157.html
Barr, J; Dowding, L. (2016). Leadership in Healthcare (3rd ed). SAGE Publications Inc.
NHS Leadership Academy. (2013). Healthcare Leadership Model. NHS Leadership Academy, 1–16. Retrieved from http://www.leadershipacademy.nhs.uk/discover/leadershipmodel/
Northouse, P. (2018). Introduction to leadership Concepts and Practice (4th ed). SAGE Publications
Storey, J., & Holti, R. (2013). Towards a New Model of Leadership for the NHS. Retrieved from https://www.leadershipacademy.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Towards-a-New-Model-of-Leadership-2013.pdf
West, M., Armit, K., Loewenthal, L., Eckert, R., West, T., & Lee, A. (2015). Leadership and Leadership Development in Health Care: The Evidence Base. The Kings Fund, 1–36. https://doi.org/19022015
Yukl, G. (1999). An evaluation of conceptual weaknesses in transformational and charismatic leadership theories. Leadership Quarterly, 10(2), 285–305. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(99)00013-2
Adair, J. (1997). Decision Making and Problem Solving. London: Institute of Personnel and Development.
Bass, B. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectations. New York: Free Press.
Bennis, W., & Nanus, B. (1985). Leaders Strategies for Taking Charge.
Blake, R; Moulton, J. (1964). The Managerial Grid. Houston: Gulf.
Burns, J. M. (1978). Leadership. Harper & Row.
Carlyle, T. (1841). On heroes and hero worship and heroic in history. Boston MA: Adams.
Charlesworth, K., Maggie Jamieson, C., Professor Rachel Davey, A., & Colin Butler, D. D. (2016). Transformational change in healthcare: an examination of four case studies. https://doi.org/10.1071/AH15041
Collins, J. (2001). Good to Great : Why Some Companies Make the Leap and Others Don t. Harper Collins.
Daft, R. (2016). Management (12th ed). Retrieved from https://www.academia.edu/38127481/Management_-_Richard_L._Daft
Davidoff, F., Dixon-Woods, M., Leviton, L., & Michie, S. (2015). Demystifying theory and its use in improvement. BMJ Quality and Safety, 24(3), 228–238. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2014-003627
Fayol, H. (1925). General and Industrial Management. London: Pitman and Sons.
Fielder, F. (1967). A theory of leadership effectiveness. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Goetsch, D Davis, S. (2013). Quality Management for Organizational Excellence: Introduction to Total Quality. Retrieved from https://www.pearson.com/us/higher-education/product/Goetsch-Quality-Management-for-Organizational-Excellence-Introduction-to-Total-Quality-7th-Edition/9780132558983.html?tab=order
Greenleaf, R. K. (1977). Servant leadership : a journey into the nature of legitimate power and greatness /. Paulist Press.
Hersey, P; Blanchard, K. (1969). Life-cycle theory of leadership. Training and Development Journal, 23(5), 26–34.
James, W. (1890). The principles of psychology. New York: Henry Holt and Company.
Johnson, G. (1992). Managing strategic change- strategy, culture and action. Long Range Planning, 25(1), 28–36. https://doi.org/10.1016/0024-6301(92)90307-N
Lewin, K. (1951). Field Theory in Social Sciences. New York: Harper & Row.
Lowe, K. B., Kroeck, K. G., & Sivasubramaniam, N. (1996). Effectiveness correlates of transformational and transactional leadership: A meta-analytic review of the mlq literature. Leadership Quarterly, 7(3), 385–425. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(96)90027-2
Mannion, R., & Davies, H. (2018). Understanding organisational culture for healthcare quality improvement. BMJ (Online), 363(November), 1–5. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k4907
Marquis, B; Hutson, L. (2012). Leadership and Management Function (Vol. 53).
McGergor, D. (1960). The human side of enterprise. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Rosener, J. B. (2011). America’s Competitive Secret: Women Managers. In America’s Competitive Secret: Women Managers. https://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780195119145.001.0001
Schein, E. H. (1985). Organizational culture and leadership (1st ed). San Francisco : Jossey-Bass Publishers.
Spencer, H. (1873). Principles of Sociology. New York: Appleton and Company.
Vroom, V., & Jago, A. (1988). The new leadership. Eaglewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- LL3M: BA Cymdeithaseg & Health and Social Care year 3 (BA/CHSC)
- LM52: BA Health & Social Care / Criminology & Criminal Justice year 3 (BA/HSCCCJ)
- LL53: BA Health & Social Care/Sociology year 3 (BA/HSCS)
- LL54: BA Hlth & Scl Care/Social Policy year 3 (BA/HSCSP)
- LL5K: Polisi Cymdeithasol & Health and Social Care year 3 (BA/PCHSC)