Creative Practice Dissertation
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
40 Credyd neu 20 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Ifan Jones
This modules consits of two parts, a research methods component in the autumn semester that is assessed by means of a 2,000 word research proposal, and a period of supervised research culminating in the submission equivalent to a 10,000 word dissertation. There is opportunity to employ creative methodologies for practice-based students to utilise their learning and skills in a research context through a part-practical dissertation.
This module is a period of supervised research culminating in the submission of the equivalent of a 10,000-word dissertation worth 40 credits. Students wishing to produce a piece of practice-based research (e.g. a fiction or non-fiction television, film, performance or radio piece) must discuss their project with their supervisor to define the weighting of practice and theory. There will be a series of 6 workshops to prepare the students with research skills and the opportunity to attend further optional workshops in the School and the College as appropriate.
Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows:
- Generally accurate but with omissions and errors.
- Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning.
- Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions. -Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Submitted work is competent throughout and distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Very good structure and logically developed arguments.
- Draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways:
- Has originality of exposition with the student's own thinking being readily apparent.
- Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study.
- Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
C- i C+
Submitted work is competent throughout and occasionally distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Good structure and logically developed arguments.
- At least in parts draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are, in the main, backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Work independently to deadline over a sustained period of time.
Embed a substantial piece of practice-based research within an appropriate set of cultural, social, institutional, economic and/or critical frameworks.
Apply a range of study skills and methodologies appropriate to research in the Arts and Humanities.
Define a coherent research question, and design and implement a programme of study to investigate this question.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1 hour workshop per week for the first six weeks of autumn semester plus additional workshops in weeks 11 of autumn semester and week 2 of Spring semester. Additional optional workshops available in School and College; students are expected to attend at least 2 hour long workshops in addition to the mandatory programme.
3 hours of contact periods with supervisor (usually 15mins per week with supervisor)
Time should be spent researching and reading the relevant literature and developing your ideas and understanding of the field. You should also use this time to prepare material and questions ahead of supervision meetings.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- An understanding of creative and critical processes, and of the wide range of skills inherent in creative writing. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- Knowledge of a wide range of canonical English texts, providing a confident understanding of literary traditions as well as the confidence to experiment and challenge conventions when writing creatively. (English Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- An awareness of writing and publishing contexts, opportunities and audiences in the wider world (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- Artistic engagement and ability to articulate complex ideas in oral and written forms. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to connect creative and critical ideas between and among forms, techniques and types of creative and critical praxis. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to engage in processes of drafting and redrafting texts to achieve clarity of expression and an appropriate style. (English Benchmark Statement 3.3; NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Information technology (IT) skills broadly understood and the ability to access, work with and evaluate electronic resources (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
Relevant literature will be specific to each individual research project.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 3 (BA/ACC)
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 3 (BA/CPW)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 3 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/CST1)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 3 (BA/CWMS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 3 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/FLM1)
- T125: BA Film Studies and Chinese year 4 (BA/FSCH)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/FSCW)
- 3P3Q: BA Film Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/FSEL)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 3 (BA/FSELAN)
- PR31: BA Film Studies and French year 4 (BA/FSFR4)
- W622: BA Film Studies with Game Design year 3 (BA/FSGD)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 4 (BA/FSGER)
- P3V1: BA Film Studies and History year 3 (BA/FSH)
- P0R3: BA Film Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/FSI)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/FSIE)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- P3W5: BA Film Studies with Theatre and Performance year 3 (BA/FSTP)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 3 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/JMS1)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 3 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/MSF)
- P3R1: BA Media Studies with French year 3 (BA/MSFR)
- P3R2: BA Media Studies with German year 3 (BA/MSG)
- P310: BA Media Studies with Game Design year 3 (BA/MSGD)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/MSIE)
- P3R3: BA Media Studies with Italian year 3 (BA/MSIT)
- P3R4: BA Media Studies with Spanish year 3 (BA/MSSP)
- P3R5: BA Media Stud with Spanish (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/MSSPIE)
- P3WL: BA Media Studies with Theatre and Performance year 3 (BA/MSTP)
- P3WB: BA Media Stud with Theatre & Perform (4yr with Incorp Found) year 3 (BA/MSTP1)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 3 (BA/MUSFS)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 3 (BA/PWF)
- W839: BA Professional Writing with Game Design year 3 (BA/PWGD)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 3 (BA/PWM)
- VP23: BA Welsh History and Film Studies year 3 (BA/WHFS)
- W900: MArts Creative Practice year 3 (MARTS/CP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CHCS)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 3 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTSP)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/MEN)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/MSSOC)