Why study with us?
Studying History with us
- We are a centre of academic excellence offering high-quality, research-led teaching
- History has been taught at Bangor since the foundation of the University in 1884 – we have a wealth of experience and a strong sense of tradition
- Our expertise spans medieval, early modern, modern and contemporary history as well as Welsh history, archaeology and heritage
- We are recognised for outstanding pastoral care and award-winning teaching
- Bangor is an inspiring location in which to study history, particularly Welsh History in which we have an unrivalled research record
- The School has an excellent teaching reputation with an emphasis on small group teaching and one-on-one support
- Our community of students, lecturers and researchers is a friendly and stimulating place to work and study
- The School has a proven record of research achievement, with the regular publication of books and articles by staff with international reputations in their fields
- Bangor is located in an area with an outstanding range of archaeology monuments: prehistoric tombs and stone circles, Roman forts, native farmsteads, and medieval castles including the World Heritage sites of Beaumaris, Caernarfon and Conwy
- Students are encouraged to take part in excavations and there are opportunities to work in the local Archaelogical unit, museums and archives
Studying at Bangor
Rated Gold for teaching
We have been awarded a Gold rating, the highest rating possible, for the standarad of our teaching in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) assessment. The TEF assessment took into account teaching quality, learning environment and student outcomes and learning gain. We were judged to deliver consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for our students and our teaching is of the highest quality found in the UK.
A top 10 university
The National Student Survey (NSS) results place Bangor amongst the UK’s top 10 universities (excluding specialist institutions) for student satisfaction. This reflects the University’s focus on overall student experience.
Enjoy a university experience that’s amongst the best in the UK
Take advantage of the Bangor Student Experience (ranked in the top 20 in the Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2017) with free membership of student clubs and societies, a new international experience programme and employability award scheme.
Award-winning clubs and societies!
Our clubs and societies have been named the best in the UK at the WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2017.
Choose to study in one of the best places in the UK to be a student. Bangor’s location – close to the mountains and the sea - has been described as ‘the best university setting in the UK’.
Investment in facilities
Benefit from continued investment in facilities and services – with an exciting new Arts and Innovation Centre, new Halls of Residence, and improved sports facilities amongst recent developments.
We guarantee accommodation for first year students who apply within the deadline and hold Bangor as a firm choice. Our accommodation has been rated in the Top 5 in the UK at the 2017 WhatUni Student Choice Awards.