Coronavirus (Covid-19) Information

Brexit – Information for EU/EEA students

At the International Student Support Office we have been receiving a number of queries about Brexit and what is likely to happen in the next few years.

In response, we have created a new website to keep you up to date with the latest regulations, immigration issues and fees and funding information:

As you may be aware, in June 2016 the UK government held a referendum on whether or not the UK should remain part of the European Union, and 52 % of voters chose to leave the bloc.

The UK gave formal notification of its intention to withdraw from the European Union (by triggering Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union), on 29 March 2017. The process is likely to take a minimum of two years, and the UK remains a member of the European Union during this time.  Therefore, there is no change to the position of EU/EEA nationals and their family members in the UK during this time which means students and their family members can continue to exercise their residency rights in the UK.

We do not yet know exactly what the future implications for residency will be for EU/EEA nationals and their family members who wish to come to, or remain in, the UK to study. However, the UK government and the EU are in the process of negotiating a Withdrawal Agreement, which includes an agreement on citizens' rights during a transitional/ implementation period from 29 March 2019. This is a period of time (likely to continue until 31 December 2020) during which EU nationals and their family members can come to, or remain in, the UK on broadly the same basis as they can now. The UK is also in the process of negotiation with Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland to reach an agreement on the rights of non-EU EEA and Swiss nationals and their family members.

We recommend that you continue monitoring the Home Office and UKCISA webpages for any news. We will be updating our webpage as we learn more about the position of the EU/EEA citizens living in the UK. Below you will find some information that we thought would be useful at this stage, please visit our FAQ page for more information.

Tuition Fee and Student Finance Status

EU students' tuition fee and funding status will not change at least until the 2019/20 academic year and fees will stay the same throughout their full degrees. In April 2016, Kirsty Williams, Cabinet Secretary for Education at the National Assembly for Wales, confirmed that EU students applying for a place at Welsh universities for the 2018/19 academic year will also be eligible for financial support. This means that EU students starting in 2018/19 will pay the same as Welsh students and will continue to receive funding for the full duration of their courses.

Beyond 2019/2020, we do not know yet what will or won’t change – this is for the UK and EU to negotiate and agree at a later date.

If you have any student funding enquiries, please contact the University's Money Support Unit.

Right of Residence

If a final agreement is reached, those already in the UK before 29 March 2019 and those who come to the UK during the transitional/ implementation period will need to apply for status in the UK under a scheme designed by the UK government. The status granted will be ‘settled’ status or ‘pre-settled’ status depending on the length of time in the UK.

The UK government published the EU Settlement Scheme: Statement of Intent on 21 June 2018. The Statement outlines how the scheme will operate and who will be covered. The scheme, once confirmed and finalised, will consist of an online application process to be piloted from 'autumn' 2018, with an aim to make it more widely available from early 2019 and full access by 29 March 2019. The application fee is £65 (£32.50 for children under 16) and some people will be entitled to apply free of charge (holders of right of permanent residence documents, people with pre-settled status applying for settled status, children in care).

See some of the key points of the Settlement Scheme for EU students here.

Comprehensive sickness insurance is not required for the purposes of this scheme; ordinary residence will remain the test for eligibility for free NHS treatment.

The Free Movement blog has posted a briefing entitled: How to apply for “settled status” for EU citizens


We understand that the Government is in discussion with other EU/EEA member states about the situation for their nationals. We recommend that you keep updated with our website and continue monitoring the Home Office and UKCISA webpages for any news. We will be updating our page as we learn more about the position of the EU/EEA citizens living in the UK but if you have further questions in the meantime please email us at


International Student Support Office

Rathbone, College Road, Bangor LL57 2DG

Publication date: 27 July 2018