After you Finish your Course FAQs

Can I stay in the UK after I finish my course?

There are several options available.  We have made a presentation about "Working in the UK - Visa options after studies".  

For detailed information see UKCISA webpages - 'Working in the UK After your studies'.

Alternatively, here is a summary of the most popular options:

Tier 2 (General) visa
Summary: This visa is for students who have secured a job after finishing their course.  The job offer must be graduate level, with a specified minimum wage (approximately £20,000, depending on your profession), and the employer must have a Tier 2 licence to be able to sponsor you. 
More Info: UKVI or UKCISA

Tier 4 (Doctorate Extension Scheme) visa
Summary: This visa is for PhD (or EdD or equivalent) students who are about to finish their course and want to remain in the UK to gain some professional and/or work experience.
More information

Start-up visa (formerly Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur)
Summary: This visa is for graduates who have been identified by their UK university (or other UK higher education institution) as having developed a genuine and credible business idea and entrepreneurial skills.  The visa will allow them to extend their stay in the UK after graduation to establish business/es in the UK. 
More information

Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) and Tier 5 (Youth Mobility)
Summary: These visas allow you to do certain types of work in the UK, including work experience and internships, for a period of one year or for two years, depending on the scheme.  The Youth Mobility visa is limited to certain nationalities. The employer must have a Tier 5 licence to be able to sponsor you. 
More info: UKVI or UKCISA

Other options:
For more work visa options, see 'Work visas' on the Home Office webpages.   Or, refer to the Home Office webpages for information about different types of visas.

Can the university give me advice on trying to find a job?

Yes.  The Bangor University Skills and Employability Service offers support to students searching for employment during and after they study.

International students may have restrictions on the number of hours they can work:

  • EEA Nationals are free to work unrestricted hours in the United Kingdom without having to obtain permission to work.

  • Non-EEA Nationals will normally receive a stamp in their passport restricting the amount of hours they are entitled to work and the type of work they can take.

For more information, see Work and Volunteering on our web pages.

If you are unsure as to whether you are entitled to work in the UK you are advised to contact the International Student Support Office once you have arrived in Bangor. 

How to I keep in touch with the University?

Once you graduate from Bangor University you can join the Bangor University Alumni Network. This will enable you to network with other graduates across the globe and keep up to date with Bangor University news.