Finding a place to live

Finding a place to live during your studies in Bangor is one of the most important things to organise. You have two options:

  • University owned accommodation, called ‘Halls’
  • privately owned accommodation, off campus. This could be a house or privately-owned halls.

Living in University accommodation: If you decide to live in University Halls, you should organise this before you travel to Bangor, via our Halls Office. Before you can apply for Halls, you will need:

  • to have firmly accepted your offer of a place at the University
  • to have paid your tuition fee deposit
  • to have received an email from the halls office inviting you to apply for accommodation

Living in private accommodation: If you want to rent a house or flat privately, off-campus, our Student Housing Office can help you find somewhere to live. They have a list of landlords that have undergone a number of checks to ensure high property standards. You can read more about that under the ‘Housing Advice’ tab on their Studentpad webpage. The Student Housing Office can also give you advice about things to look out for when house-hunting and your rights as a tenant.

Living in private accommodation off-campus is slightly more complicated than living in University Halls so you need to be sure that you have all the correct information on issues such as contracts, bills and any rules specified by the landlord, before you decide to move in. The Student Housing Office can give you advice on these matters, including contract guidance before you move in.

If you plan to live in private housing, it is strongly advisable to arrange some temporary accommodation before you travel for at least the first 1-2 nights, and then arrange the longer-term housing after you have arrived. The Student Housing Office advertise a range of properties, some including photos, however it is strongly recommended to view the house/room in person before you agree to a long-term contract. We can provide you with a list of local hotels/bed and breakfasts - just email us to ask.

Can't decide between Halls or Private?: When deciding whether to live in Halls or private accommodation, you need to be sure what you want, what you need and what you can afford. The UKCISA website has a useful guide to help you choose your accommodation.

Returning students: If you are a current Bangor University student and wish to move into University Halls for your 2nd or 3rd year, then a fixed amount of rooms are allocated to ‘returning students’ each year. Details of how to apply can be found here.


Accommodation issues and problems

If you decide to live in University accommodation, the Halls Office can help with any issues, questions or problems you may have. You may also find their FAQ’s page useful.

If you live in private accommodation, and have any problems with your house, landlord or contract etc, then the Student Housing Office will be happy to help.