Brexit: Frequently Asked Questions

*Last updated on 24 July 2018


What’s the situation at the moment?

Most EU nationals have the same fees as home students throughout their degree. Exact fee levels vary in different parts of the UK. EU nationals have access to loans and grants from the UK government to help cover their fees.

What’s going to change with Brexit?

So far, this hasn’t changed. UK governments have confirmed that fees and loans will stay the same for EU students who begin their degrees in the academic years 2018-19 or 2019-20, and that nothing will change for them throughout their full degree. Beyond that, we don’t know yet what will or won’t change - that is something to be agreed between the EU and UK at a later date.


Will I have to apply for a visa?

As long as the UK and EU negotiations end in an agreement you will not need a visa if you are arriving before 1 January 2021. If you arrive between 30 March 2019 and 31 December 2020, you’ll need to register to stay for more than three months, but you will still not need a visa. The International Student Support Office at Bangor University will be able to offer you guidance.

Will I be able to stay in the UK after my degree?

If you arrive in the UK before January 2021, you should be able to apply to stay in the UK for the five years it takes to build up settled status. Once you have settled status, you’ll be able to remain here indefinitely. If you think you might want to stay, you should visit the UK government’s pages on immigration for EU nationals now:

From January 2021, we don’t know exactly what the process will be, but universities and students in the UK are all working to keep the system as simple as possible.


Can I still come to the UK with Erasmus?

Yes, Absolutely! Agreements made so far mean that the UK should remain a part of the Erasmus+ scheme until it ends in 2020. The UK government has also committed to fund Erasmus placements up to 2020 if anything changes.

Can I still apply for Research Council funding for my PhD?

Yes - EU nationals can still apply for Research Council PhD studentships at UK institutions for 2018 to 2019 to help cover costs for the full duration of their studies.


Will my UK degree still be recognised in the EU?

UK degrees are recognised in many countries around the world, and there are a number of agreements between different countries that support this. Some of these are not related to the European Union – for example, the Bologna process, which means that after the UK leaves the EU, most academic qualifications will still be recognised. Recognition of professional qualifications is more complicated, but UK universities are hoping that mutual recognition of professional qualifications will continue in most cases. You should be able to find out if your chosen subject is academic or professional on the internet.

We understand that the Government is in discussion with other EU/EEA member states about the situation for their nationals. We recommend that you continue monitoring the Home Office and UKCISA webpages for any news. We will be updating this page as we learn more about the position of the EU/EEA citizens living in the UK but if you have further questions in the meantime please email us at