Miss Athanasia Papastergiou
Lecturer in Bilingualism
Phone: ++44 (0)1248 382267
Location: 37-41 College Road
I joined the School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics at Bangor University, as a full-time Lecturer in Bilingualism in September 2018. I was awarded an ESRC-DTC Wales PhD studentship at Bangor University in Bilingualism in 2014 under the supervision of Dr Eirini Sanoudaki focusing on language and cognitive skills of bilingual children. I have taught a range of modules in Linguistics since 2015 and worked on various projects as a Research Fellow and as a Research Assistant in Lancaster University, the University of Bath, Bangor University and the University of Greenwich. My research interests include language development, reading comprehension, cognitive skills in bilingual and monolingual children and research in bilingual and heritage educational contexts.
I am an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I teach courses on introductory linguistics, psycholinguistics, bilingualism, research methods and statistics. For details, please consult the current timetable or send me a message.
▪ Bilingualism, with emphasis on language and cognitive development of children.
▪ Reading and listening comprehension of typically and atypically developing children.
▪ Executive functioning skills of monolingual and bilingual populations.
▪ Typical and atypical child development.
▪ Classroom teaching of language.
- A Comparison of Sighted and Visually Impaired Children's Text ComprehensionPapastergiou, A & Pappas, V 2019, 'A Comparison of Sighted and Visually Impaired Children's Text Comprehension', Research in Developmental Disabilities, vol. 85, pp. 8-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2018.10.003
2017 ESRC Impact Acceleration Account/PhD Outreach Programme (Fellow)
Project: ‘Childhood Bilingualism in Complementary Schools’
P.I. & Project Lead: Dr Eirini Sanoudaki
▪ Papastergiou, A., Sanoudaki, E., & Chondrogianni, V. (2017). A study on the executive functioning of Greek-English bilingual children. Oral presentation at the International Conference on Greek Linguistics (ICGL13), University of Westminster, London, U.K., September 2017.
▪ Papastergiou, A., Sanoudaki, E., & Chondrogianni, V. (2017). A study on the executive functioning of Greek-English bilingual children. Oral presentation at the International Symposium on Bilingualism (ISB), University of Limerick, Ireland, 11 - 15 June 2017.
▪ Papastergiou, A., & Pappas, V. (2016). A comparison of sighted and visually impaired children’s text comprehension. Oral presentation at the UKLA 52nd International Conference, Bristol, U.K., 8 - 10 July 2016.
▪ Papastergiou, A. (2016). Does the educational programme matter? A study on the executive functioning of Greek-English bilingual children. Oral presentation at Bangor International Conference on Bilingualism in Education, Bangor, U.K., 10 - 12 June 2016.
Research Fellow/University of Greenwich
Project: Child to Parent Aggression
Project Lead: Dr Claire Monks