Dr DeAnn Bell
Lecturer in Creative Writing
- My Mother's Handbag: Questioning Categorisation in English Literary Canonisation PhD (Bangor University)
- English Literature with Creative Writing (First Class Hons) BA (Bangor University)
My writing and research is intended to subvert expectations brought on by the identity-based category of Southern Women’s Writing and to underline the inherent flaws of basing contemporary textual classification on the physical body of the writer. I am interested in creative and critical projects connected to writing against or to subvert the English Literary Canon and identity prescriptive literary criticism. In addition to this I am interested in research in a variety of areas including, but not limited to: teaching creative writing, writer’s block, speculative fiction, creative nonfiction, Southern women’s writing, short story, English literary canonisation, graphic novels, identity, Gothic fiction, marginalisation and multiculturalism, censorship in contemporary writing, practice-led research in writing, and cross-disciplinary or hybrid projects.
FHEA- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, 2014.
NAWE- Professional Member of the National Association of Writers in Education, 2015.
- Writing Against "the Canon"Bell, K 2018, 'Writing Against "the Canon": Writing as Resistance to Representational Group Identity' TEXT: Journal of Writing and Writing Courses, vol. Special Issue: Identity, Politics and Writing.
- Normal DeviationSkains, R & Bell, K (eds) 2018, Normal Deviation: A Weird Fiction Anthology. Wonderbox Publishing.
- "The Missing"Bell, K 2018, "The Missing". Open Pen, London.
- "Crone Maiden"Bell, K 2017, '"Crone Maiden"' Sage Woman Magazine, vol. 92.
- The Empire BuilderBell, K 2017, 'The Empire Builder' Sage Woman Magazine, vol. 92, pp. 80-82.
- Four Methods for Teaching Creative Nonfiction Outside of the Traditional WorkshopBell, K 2016, 'Four Methods for Teaching Creative Nonfiction Outside of the Traditional Workshop' Writing in Education, no. 70, pp. 48.
- Dorm WitchBell, K 2015, 'Dorm Witch: Ritual Tools for University Spaces' Pagan Dawn: Journal of the Pagan Federation , no. 197, pp. 50-51.
- In My KitchenBell, K 2014, 'In My Kitchen' HARTS & Minds , vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1-6.
“Writing Against ‘the Canon’: Writing as Resistance to Representational Group Identity” in TEXT Special Issue: Identity, Politics and Writing, scheduled for October 2018
“Blind Date”in Normal Deviation, WonderBox Publishing, scheduled for April/May 2018
“The Missing” flash fiction for Open Pen promotional insert, Issue 20, November 2017
“Crone Maiden” a creative nonfiction response to “The Giantesses Apron” collected by P.H. Emerson, Sage Woman, Issue 92,October 2017
“The Empire Builder”- creative nonfiction, accepted for publication in Sage Woman, Issue 92, October 2017
“Fallow Times”- feature length article accepted for publication in Witches&Pagans, TBA
“Teaching Creative Nonfiction Outside of the Traditional Workshop”, Writers in Education
“Invisible Monsters” in Open Pen Magazine, Issue 16, June 2016
“Dorm Witch: Selecting Ritual Tools for University Spaces” in Pagan Dawn, Samhain Issue 197, October 2015
“In My Kitchen” published in HARTS & Minds: The Journal of
Humanities and Arts, Vol. 2, No. 1, Autumn 2014 http://media.wix.com/ugd/4b5f1a_28d06d52b3ca46b09e6a7ebd5726bf24.pdf