Solo Performance Year 1
Run by School of Music, Drama and Performance
20 Credits or 10 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Iwan Llewelyn Jones
Overall aims and purpose
This module combines a programme of individual instrumental or vocal tuition with an introduction to a range of important issues which concern performers, including preparing and delivering a recital programme, effective practice techniques, working with other musicians, and different approaches to interpretation.
• Individual tuition from a designated teacher across the year. • Regular performance workshops devoted to topics such as practice techniques, musicianship and injury prevention. Participation in the workshops is scheduled, and every musician can expect to perform at least twice in public.
Please note: Although this module runs officially in Semester 2, instrumental/vocal tuition and workshops run through the entire year.
THIS MODULE IS NOT AVAILABLE TO STUDENTS OUTSIDE THE SCHOOL OF MUSIC.
PRE-REQUISITES: minimum of ABRSM 7 or equivalent.
Performance that demonstrates solid technical preparation and some original interpretative ideas.
Performance that demonstrates an excellent technique, clear evidence of independent thought and a convincing approach to interpretation.
Performance that demonstrates only a limited level of preparation with regard to technique, interpretation and communication.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to demonstrate the ability to perform with a secure and consistent sound on their chosen instrument or voice.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to demonstrate the ability to perform a work without pauses or breaks.
Final performance, duration 8-10 minutes, normally held in the Assessment Period of Semester 2, weeks 14-15.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
|Practical classes and workshops||
Fortnightly performance workshops (2 hours each) in Semesters 1 and 2.
|Practical classes and workshops||
A total of 12 hours of individual tuition from designated teacher(s) across the year. The exact frequency and duration of lessons are to be agreed between teacher(s), student, and the Head of Performance. They will normally take place between Week 2 and Week 12 of each semester.
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Re-creative skills – interpretation, innovation, versatility, and other skills relating to performance
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Technological skills – digital capture, digital expression, digital innovation
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxp-1016.html
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- W305: BA Music with Game Design year 1 (BA/MUSGD)
- W3P5: BA Music with Journalism year 1 (BA/MUSJ)
- W3W4: BA Music with Theatre & Performance year 1 (BA/MUSTP)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 1 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 1 (BMUS/MUS)
- W32F: BMus Music [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BMUS/MUSF)
Optional in courses:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 1 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 1 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 1 (BA/ELM)
- 32N7: BA English Literature & Music with International Experience year 1 (BA/ELMIE)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 1 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 1 (BA/HMU)
- VW14: BA History and Music with International Experience year 1 (BA/HMUIE)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 1 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 1 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 1 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 1 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 1 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 1 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 1 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 1 (BA/MUSCW)
- W30F: BA Music [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BA/MUSF)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 1 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 1 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 1 (BA/PRM)
- VW2H: BA Welsh History and Music year 1 (BA/WHMU)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 1 (BA/WMU)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 1 (BSC/EEM)