Open Access Week
Launch of Open Access week at Bangor 21-27 October 2019 #OAWeek
- Monday 21st October, 11am-12pm, Deiniol Library: All staff and students welcome. Launch of Open Access week at Bangor – drop in for tea or coffee – table in the main entrance
- Tuesday 22nd October, 12.30-2pm, Thoday G7: “Paywall” Film Screening.
"Paywall - The Business of Scholarship" is a documentary which focuses on the need for open access to research and science, questions the rationale behind the $25.2 billion a year that flows into for-profit academic publishers. Paywall examines the 35-40% profit margin associated with the top academic publisher Elsevier and looks at how that profit margin is often greater than some of the most profitable tech companies like Apple, Facebook and Google. No need to book, just turn up at 12.30.
- Thursday 24th October, 10-11am, LR1: Postgraduate students. Doctoral School training session: An introduction to Open Access publishing. This session will cover: The principles of Open Access publishing; Funder requirements for OA publishing; Options for publishing journal articles Open Access; Process of adding your publications to the University’s digital Repository; Information on UKRI funding that is available for Open Access publishing. Book here: https://www.bangor.ac.uk/doctoral-school/workshops/programme/an-introduction-to-open-access-publishing-41583
- Thursday 24th October, 11-12pm, LR4: Open Access Publishing. All staff and postgraduate researchers welcome. This session discusses funder requirements for Open Access and how you can comply with their expectations, also describes the support available within the University for Open Access publishing. Book here: https://www.bangor.ac.uk/research-support/researcher-development/programme/open-access-publishing-41881
- Friday 25th October, 12-1pm, Undeb, Pontio, Level 3: Truths, Lies and Open Access. An interactive workshop in the format of the BBC gameshow “Would I lie to you”. Light refreshments will be provided. All staff and postgraduate researchers welcome. Come along to hear more about Open Access by taking part in a fun game! Bust some myths about Open Access Publishing. Teams take turns to ask questions to determine the truth. The opposing team must exaggerate, confuse, and generate uncertainty in the correct answer. Prizes for the winning team. book your place here