Why study with us?
Why study at the School of Linguistics & English Language?
- All our members of staff at the School of Linguistics and English language have wide-ranging teaching and research interest so we offer a more varied programme of modules than most universities.
- We offer a virtually unrestricted choice of options so you can concentrate on theoretical topics, practical topics or a bit of both.
- The School has its very own computer room, phonetics laboratory and linguistics lecture room.
- We have our very own student society – Bangor Linguistics Society – which organises weekly social events and one off events such as guest lectures and the Christmas party.
- Over half of the departments at Bangor assessed to date in the teaching quality assessments have received the top rating of ‘excellent’
- At the WhatUni? Student Choice Awards, 2017 we were rated Top in the UK for Clubs and Societies, Top 3 in the UK for Courses and Lecturers, and Top 5 for accommodation.
- The most recent Research Excellence Framework (2014) recognised that more than three-quarters of Bangor’s research is either world-leading or internationally excellent
- We have one of the largest Peer Guiding schemes in the UK.
Studying at Bangor
Rated Gold for teaching
We have been awarded a Gold rating, the highest rating possible, for the standarad of our teaching in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) assessment. The TEF assessment took into account teaching quality, learning environment and student outcomes and learning gain. We were judged to deliver consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for our students and our teaching is of the highest quality found in the UK.
A top 10 university
The National Student Survey (NSS) results place Bangor amongst the UK’s top 10 universities (excluding specialist institutions) for student satisfaction. This reflects the University’s focus on overall student experience.
Enjoy a university experience that’s amongst the best in the UK
Take advantage of the Bangor Student Experience (ranked in the top 20 in the Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2017) with free membership of student clubs and societies, a new international experience programme and employability award scheme.
Award-winning clubs and societies!
Our clubs and societies have been named the best in the UK at the WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2017.
Choose to study in one of the best places in the UK to be a student. Bangor’s location – close to the mountains and the sea - has been described as ‘the best university setting in the UK’.
Investment in facilities
Benefit from continued investment in facilities and services – with an exciting new Arts and Innovation Centre, new Halls of Residence, and improved sports facilities amongst recent developments.
We guarantee accommodation for first year students who apply within the deadline and hold Bangor as a firm choice. Our accommodation has been rated in the Top 5 in the UK at the 2017 WhatUni Student Choice Awards.