Infection Prevention Best Practice and Behaviours MOOC
Cost - £25
Shortlisted for the Nursing Times Awards 2020
This MOOC is an online, 8-week CPD course suitable for all those who work in health or social care, and are interested in protecting people from avoidable infection. Our participants have included people from across the UK, and also more widely from across the globe.
Each week, you will access a different learning unit focused on promoting best practice and behaviours in infection prevention. Each unit requires approximately one hour of your time per week. You can study at a time and place which suits you.
Successful completion of the course provides you with a digital Certificate of Completion evidencing 8 hours CPD.
Details on how to enrol and pay will be emailed to you in September.
The learning unit topics are:
1. Principles of infection prevention (Global and local significance of infection, HCAI and antimicrobial resistance. Impact of infection on people/patients/society)
2. Getting evidence into practice (Evidence-based practice, sources of evidence, quality of care people expect to receive)
3. Knowing if you are making a difference (Standards and guidelines, audit, surveillance and feedback. Discussion Board)
4. Behaviour change (Behaviour change, how we learn behaviours, theories and related examples to infection prevention)
5. Behaviour change in practice (Behaviour change in practice. Influences on behaviour)
6. Understanding the work setting (Person-centred care, workplace culture and managing challenges)
7. Leading the way (Leadership approaches and principles with relevance to infection prevention)
8. The champion role (What is a champion and championing in infection prevention)
9. Making quality improvement matter (Quality improvement tools and techniques, practical applicability)
10. Bringing it all together (Discussion Board)
Feedback from previous course participants:
“The course has helped give me ideas about how I can develop my role”
“This MOOC is just appropriate as I can access it and learn anytime and anywhere. The quizzes and discussion forums provide an avenue to share ideas and learn from other participants”
“The online platform, course layout and materials are easy to use and accessible”
“I have learned a great deal, which I can look back on to give me support and ideas to improve my area of work”
"I thought the content was just fab. A recap and reminder of what I already knew, but the addition of being able to understand how to put it into practice."
"Congratulations and well done in promoting patient safety through an accessible system which was a very positive educational exercise."
"All the areas covered are applicable to my work. Also had an opportunity to upgrade my knowledge on some things that I don’t do every day."
"I would definitely recommend the MOOC to my colleagues, especially as we work so closely with Infection control on the Covid ward."
"I found the live chats very useful and liked listening to other people’s opinions and what they had learned through the course."