First Year FAQ

1. What do I do if I don’t like my chosen course / a particular module?

Contact your Personal Tutor via email straight away and arrange a time to discuss options. Any changes to degree registration will require a Change of Degree form. Any changes to module registration will require a Change of Module form (N.B. there are deadlines for change of module registration, usually the end of week 3 in Semester 1 and the end of week 2 in Semester 2). Both forms are available from the noticeboard outside the SML office, or copies can be downloaded from Both forms require a School / Departmental signature (usually your Personal Tutor).

2. What do I do if I feel like university might not be for me?

Remember that this is quite a common reaction amongst first years during the first few weeks of university life. The first thing to do is not to panic, and definitely don’t just leave Bangor without telling anyone how you’re feeling! Make an appointment to see your Personal Tutor straight away and discuss your qualms with them – they will be able to offer advice tailored to your particular situation. If your Personal Tutor is unavailable, contact the Senior Tutor or another member of staff who will be happy to help.

3. What do I do if I am ill with flu / cold / minor ailment, or if I unexpectedly have to be away from Bangor for a brief period?

If a minor ailment means that you cannot attend class on one or two days, you must email your Personal Tutor and individual lecturers to inform them of your absence and to obtain any information about assessments / homework assignments you may miss. Students cannot normally expect to receive copies of lecture notes for classes missed, but some materials will be available via Blackboard. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure you catch up on missed work.

4. What do I do if I come down with a more serious illness or some other serious situation crops up that requires an extended period of absence from university studies?

Inform your Personal Tutor via email as soon as possible, and, where relevant, obtain a medical note from your GP to be submitted to your personal tutor, and fill in a Report of Special Circumstances form (which can be downloaded from: giving details of which modules / assessments are directly affected.